Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

fuel efficiency

alinden

Will the 340 monsoon be anymore fuel effecient compared to the stock 320? I know it has the EXT/CAT that makes it pollute less but does it help with the fuel efficientcy?

Also how much more then the 320 does the monsoon cost?

Don't know about a direct comparison, bit we did a Slalom Clinic this summer with Derek Kirby (Got him from Drew Ross). The Clinic was a HUGE success, but that would be best discussed on another thread.

Germain to the OP, we put about 15 hours on my '08 RLXI each day and consumed about 21 gallons of gas each day. I was blown away at how efficient the Monsoon with CATS was!

I have been an automotive tech for a long time........thus I can only make an educated guess that there really won't be much a noticable difference. Hull design probably a bigger factor. The Cats themselves will not affect economy. They will operate very efficiently and will not be a restriction contrary to popular opinion. Only in highly modified applications will the cats effect hp and fuel economy.

Cleaner air is always a plus.

Don't know about a direct comparison, bit we did a Slalom Clinic this summer with Derek Kirby (Got him from Drew Ross). The Clinic was a HUGE success, but that would be best discussed on another thread.

Germain to the OP, we put about 15 hours on my '08 RLXI each day and consumed about 21 gallons of gas each day. I was blown away at how efficient the Monsoon with CATS was!

just a swag, but how many of the 15hrs were spent with the engine idling talking to students, picking them up, etc?

The sensors and engine calibrations that are necessary and allowed by the CATs will IMPROVE the fuel economy as compared to non-CAT.

Maybe. However, given that both applications are fuel injected the difference will be difficult to see.

Monsoon would get better gas econmy... Rig'd with the catalyst and 02 sensors they can lean the motor out a lot more than the tuneless LCR motor... the monsoon is worth every penny in upgrade IMOP...

I also am very satisfied with the LCR in my 07 RLXI. I rarely do anything other than ski. I don't like the sound level from the 340, it is significantly louder but if you need the power you will notice the difference on the launch. I would not use the extra power of the 340.

I like not having all the O2 sensors cat's and the cats big manifold. Just makes for a more simple boat.

just a swag, but how many of the 15hrs were spent with the engine idling talking to students, picking them up, etc?

Oops... I guess I was a bit hasty and got ti wrong. It was 15 hours for the 2 days, not 15 hours per day. SORRY ABOUT THAT.

Very little of that time was spent idling. The end of the course is right off the dock, we dropped at one end and spun at the other. Engine was off during most of the instruction.

Monsoon would get better gas econmy... Rig'd with the catalyst and 02 sensors they can lean the motor out a lot more than the tuneless LCR motor... the monsoon is worth every penny in upgrade IMOP...

Plus1.gif IMO the monsoon is worth it. cleaner air on the platform for one. it does have slightly better fuel economy but it would take a long time to recoup the costs, but it wouldnt be the only reason why i would pick it. the pull is definately firmer with the monsoon in a good way once you are used to it, probably not now thought with ZO RTFM.gifBadmood.gifGuns.gifRanting.gif (if you cant tell im not happy about the speed control situation!) Throwpc.gif

The Cats themselves will not affect economy. . . Only in highly modified applications will the cats effect hp and fuel economy.
The sensors and engine calibrations that are necessary and allowed by the CATs will IMPROVE the fuel economy as compared to non-CAT.

Maybe. However, given that both applications are fuel injected the difference will be difficult to see.

Plus the $1200 or $1500 upgrade cost buys a pretty good amount of gas if you go with the LCR

Right...........my point exactly.

My point was that the current motors w/CATs actually provide better fuel economy than the same non-CAT motor. It is a measurable difference. I didn't say anything about making up the cost of the upgrade through savings in fuel usage.

The OP said, "I know it has the EXT/CAT that makes it pollute less but does it help with the fuel efficientcy?" The answer is: Yes it does. I'm not saying it will be more efficient than the LCR (though it may be). Some people may think that the CATs affect fuel efficiency in a negative way, I'm just saying it's the opposite.

From Boating Magazine LINK

There was little difference in performance. Acceleration from 0 to 30 mph averaged 5.6 seconds with the cats and 5.3 seconds without. Top speed was 41.0 mph with the cats and 40.9 mph without. Fuel economy, however, was significantly improved by the ETX/CAT system. We measured an 8 percent gain at 30 mph, a 12 percent gain at 20 mph, and a 28 percent gain at idle. The boost in economy occurs because this closed-loop system uses an oxygen sensor to control fuel delivery with more precision than on a standard EFI system.

The Cats themselves will not affect economy. . . Only in highly modified applications will the cats effect hp and fuel economy.

Plus the $1200 or $1500 upgrade cost buys a pretty good amount of gas if you go with the LCR

Right...........my point exactly.

My point was that the current motors w/CATs actually provide better fuel economy than the same non-CAT motor. It is a measurable difference. I didn't say anything about making up the cost of the upgrade through savings in fuel usage.

The OP said, "I know it has the EXT/CAT that makes it pollute less but does it help with the fuel efficientcy?" The answer is: Yes it does. I'm not saying it will be more efficient than the LCR (though it may be). Some people may think that the CATs affect fuel efficiency in a negative way, I'm just saying it's the opposite.

From Boating Magazine LINK

There was little difference in performance. Acceleration from 0 to 30 mph averaged 5.6 seconds with the cats and 5.3 seconds without. Top speed was 41.0 mph with the cats and 40.9 mph without. Fuel economy, however, was significantly improved by the ETX/CAT system. We measured an 8 percent gain at 30 mph, a 12 percent gain at 20 mph, and a 28 percent gain at idle. The boost in economy occurs because this closed-loop system uses an oxygen sensor to control fuel delivery with more precision than on a standard EFI system.

Where did Boating Mag get those numbers, in Texas in July? I just did a demo in a LCR and a Monsoon for a customer, both RLXi's, over the weekend, and on the GPS I showed 44+ in the LCR and 45-46 in the Monsoon. The big difference in the monsoon is midrange. It has a touch more low-end as well, but between 20 and 40 the Monsoon is king. Another example is you can't pull a jump tournament with a LCR for it doesn't have the mid-range.

On a side note, I was showing the customer some barefoot video of himself from a few years ago on the MaliView, and he turned and said, "cool, I'm done. Who's next?". hehehe....MaliView rocks.

Peter