Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

in line fuel filter, 2003 wakesetter xti monsoon 335

nittybear1

Had the boat in the water yesterday and after about 15 minutes of running , it came to a sputtering stop and cannot get started again . Someone suggested that I change the in-line fuel filter, but for the life of me , I cannot find it. Nowhere to be found in the engien campartment. Is it possibly back near the fuel tank itself ? The boat has only 60 hours on it and has run flawlessly up until yesterday. Before the engie quit it started running rough at high RPM and then smoothed out as i brought back the throttle to mid power, about 60 seconds later , engine began to sputter and finally went dead , unable to restart. Help !

Found the fuel filter , it was back , laying on top of the tank , had to repove one of the rear speakers to get at the darn thing ,,,,,, replaced it ,, and still no help. Fuel pump appears to be working. next thing to check i think would lead me to ignition problems ?

There is a screen in the bottom of the fuel pump which could possibly be clogged with debris.

Also since the fuel filter may have not been changed recently go ahead and replace the cap, rotor, and spark plugs before you do anything else.

-Chris

There is a screen in the bottom of the fuel pump which could possibly be clogged with debris.

Also since the fuel filter may have not been changed recently go ahead and replace the cap, rotor, and spark plugs before you do anything else.

-Chris

thanks chris, I did find the inline filter and replaced it , still no help , I will look for the screen on the fuel pump today and clean out of needed. I also pulled one of the spark plugs and cranked the engine , it didnt appear that there was any spark present , so i'll replace all the plugs , cap and rotor today before i begin to panic ! Typical , yesterday was one of the nicest boating days , and i cant get the darn thing started !! thanks for the info on the inlet screen of the pump , any tricks or info i need to know about getting to it ?

david and samantha

A small pick works best, a mirror may help you get it the first time you do it.

If you are not getting spark I would check your kill switch!

-Chris

Just checked the kill swith, took it out and put the meter to it , its operating normally .......

now im trying to find out what saftey switches ,if any enable the ignition spark ...i/e oil pressure , fuel pressure ?

When the boat was brand new , about 10 hours on it , this same thing happened , they replaced the EFI computer, before it resolved the problem ,, that was under warranty. Im past that now . do you guys ever get any good help from Malibu tech services ??

david

A small pick works best, a mirror may help you get it the first time you do it.

If you are not getting spark I would check your kill switch!

-Chris

Just checked the kill swith, took it out and put the meter to it , its operating normally .......

now im trying to find out what saftey switches ,if any enable the ignition spark ...i/e oil pressure , fuel pressure ?

When the boat was brand new , about 10 hours on it , this same thing happened , they replaced the EFI computer, before it resolved the problem ,, that was under warranty. Im past that now . do you guys ever get any good help from Malibu tech services ??

david

just called malibu , they told me to start with the igniton parts, coil, cap rotor , plugs and then go from there ! which is what you said earlier. thanks for your input !