Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 VTX Cut Diamond vs 08 VTX Wake Hull

MalibuDream

Guys,

Can I get some unbiased opinions on the two different hulls. I skied behind a 08 VTX Cut Diamond and it was great. When I went in to the dealer they only have an 08 VTX with Wake Hull.

We have little kids (8-11) who ski and wakeboard, I was told that at the speed they ski, the hull would make no difference.

I ski and cut hard, but I don't ski courses. I was told that at the higher speeds the hull will make a difference, but not one that would be noticable for the type of skiing I'm doing.

My skiing is that I like to cut back and forth and do it rather aggressively, but usually at around 28-30.

I started calling around and 3 different dealers (all who had VTX's on Wake Hulls) all said the same thing. One said he used to be tournament skiier and he could 'hardly' tell the difference.

Again I'm just looking for some unbiased opinions. I like the fact that the Wake Hull will throw a nicer surf wake, but I don't want to be jumping a huge wake on every cut either. And is it true the kids are out of luck either way.

FYI - I can't test drive the VTX on the wake hull because the dealer would be getting it from a dealer going out of business. Calling around the 3 dealers could all be selling me the same boat. Regardless of that they are telling me the same story that the hull won't matter that much for our usage.

Edited by MalibuDream
Guys,

Can I get some unbiased opinions on the two different hulls. I skied behind a 08 VTX Cut Diamond and it was great. When I went in to the dealer they only have an 08 VTX with Wake Hull.

We have little kids (8-11) who ski and wakeboard, I was told that at the speed they ski, the hull would make no difference.

I ski and cut hard, but I don't ski courses. I was told that at the higher speeds the hull will make a difference, but not one that would be noticable for the type of skiing I'm doing.

My skiing is that I like to cut back and forth and do it rather aggressively, but usually at around 28-30.

I started calling around and 3 different dealers (all who had VTX's on Wake Hulls) all said the same thing. One said he used to be tournament skiier and he could 'hardly' tell the difference.

Again I'm just looking for some unbiased opinions. I like the fact that the Wake Hull will throw a nicer surf wake, but I don't want to be jumping a huge wake on every cut either. And is it true the kids are out of luck either way.

FYI - Long story on why I can't test ski the VTX on a wake hull.

most everyone here is going to recommend you demo. if the dealer won't let you demo don't give them your business. if its a problem on your side of things could you at least ride in one and look at the wake? there is a difference... they wouldn't make both hulls if their wasn't a difference.

Guys,

most everyone here is going to recommend you demo. if the dealer won't let you demo don't give them your business. if its a problem on your side of things could you at least ride in one and look at the wake? there is a difference... they wouldn't make both hulls if their wasn't a difference.

I updated my original post on why I couldn't test drive it. The boat just came available and my dealer called me about it. The boat is right in our price range because it has very few options, but the one unknown is the wake hull. If it had a cut diamond it would be a done deal.

Guys,

I updated my original post on why I couldn't test drive it. The boat just came available and my dealer called me about it. The boat is right in our price range because it has very few options, but the one unknown is the wake hull. If it had a cut diamond it would be a done deal.

First off. Welcome to TMC! I went through the same thing, and skied both hulls, but I ski 32-33. Use the search function, there are multiple threads on this very discussion of VTX wake vs. diamond hull. I skied the wake hull and would have bought it. Thought it skied great. Skied the diamond so much later I so could not really remember what the wake hull was like. But a big reason we went with the VTX was to ski and wakeboard, so no VLX. My wife pretty much sticks to slalom, so I just decided to get diamond, since it will be slightly better, and more so at 30+. If you ski the wake hull and like it, buy it. I have had 6 a year old (first and second time up) 8 year old, and 12 year old all skiing behind this boat no problem, as well as a bunch of dude's in their 40's, uggh. Also, if you really want a decent ski wake, you will need to dial in how much weight is in the boat (like, none) except for some in the bow.

My dealer told me pretty much the same thing about not being able to tell that much of a difference. I'm the opposite of you though. I'm a wakeboarder. He basically told me that since I would be riding between 19-22 Mph the diamond hull doesnt really start doing anything noticeable till 30. I chose the diamond hull and never plan to ski behind it. I picked it because I wanted a smooth cruising boat also when we weren't riding or surfing.

I did the same search. For skiing, the cut diamond hull makes a real difference. At wake speeds, the hulls act the same. I've taken my VTX to the course quite a bit. It does fine on the course. It builds up a great wake for wake boarding and surfing. For a skiier, I'd seek out the cut diamond. It'll be worth it.

Guys,

Can I get some unbiased opinions on the two different hulls. I skied behind a 08 VTX Cut Diamond and it was great. When I went in to the dealer they only have an 08 VTX with Wake Hull. I was also struggling with the hull choice but for different reasons... Some people prefer the wake hull for barefooting but I have found the Cut Diamond Hull on the VTX to be a decent footing hull and has quite a bit less spray for footing off a boom if that matters to you. With that said, nearly everyone that I talked to who were course worthy slalom skiers prefered the Cut Diamond Hull. It is most noticable at lengths shorter than 22 off. Most recreational skiers would probably not be able to tell the difference however.

We have little kids (8-11) who ski and wakeboard, I was told that at the speed they ski, the hull would make no difference. That is true. Either hull puts out a sizable wake for kids at slow speeds however, that is the case with any V-Drive. For young kids who are learning to ski a DD has a less intimidating wake. However, coming from a DD once they know how to ski and wakeboard, this V-Drive is truly impressive.

My skiing is that I like to cut back and forth and do it rather aggressively, but usually at around 28-30. At these speeds, I doubt that you would notice much difference. I have noticed that it takes about 32 mph before the wakes seem to shrink (no Response but comparable to some non-Malibu DDs that I have been behind).

FYI - I can't test drive the VTX on the wake hull because the dealer would be getting it from a dealer going out of business. Calling around the 3 dealers could all be selling me the same boat. Regardless of that they are telling me the same story that the hull won't matter that much for our usage.

I have to say I disagree with the "At wake speeds they are the same." comment. In full disclosure I am a wakeboarder nearly exclusively. I just bought a new VTX and did a ton research and testing. I have been behind both hulls and they are not the same. The Wake Hull produces a far better wake for boarding at wake speeds than does the Diamond hull. You can get a very nice wake out of the diamond but, it takes a significant amount more weight to get there. Don't take this to mean that I feel the DC hull makes a bad wake. Quite the opposite. At wake speeds the DC hull's wake is fine, just not nearly as good as the wake hull.

To sum it up the difference is noticeable.

Now into the hypothetical...

I assume the opposite is true at ski speeds. If you are primarily a skier but like to ride the wakeboard here and there you would probably be happier with a DC hull.

But more then any thing you have got to test or demo them. It does not necessary have to be the boat you are going to buy but get behind both hulls and figure out what you like best. If you want to get behind the wake hull and are any where near Columbus OH. I would be happy to take you for a ride.

GWG

Crossover means compromise. The VTX is a great crossover package that offers two hulls to tilt the compromise slightly in different directions. If you want a package that is going to please decent stick riders, then the Diamond Cut hull is the better choice or so say most. However, choosing the DC hull means that you will compromise the wake for everything other than sticking (but keep in mind the VTX DC hull isn't the same as say a response LXi).

Edited by CTSunsetter
Crossover means compromise. The VTX is a great crossover package that offers two hulls to tilt the compromise slightly in different directions. If you want a package that is going to please decent stick riders, then the Diamond Cut hull is the better choice or so say most. However, choosing the DC hull means that you will compromise the wake for everything other than sticking (but keep in mind the VTX DC hull isn't the same as say a response LXi).

That is true. My next "boat" will be a VLX, a DD, two boat lifts, and a place on a lake. Biggrin.gif Yes, it may be a long wait!