Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to change water/fuel separator on 2003 Sportster with a Vortec

I did some boating with the fuel cap off after adding some gas. The next day the boat wasn't running so hot at higher speeds and it was suggested that I change the water/fuel separator. The owners manual has no steps on how to change it (this is the filter by the engine).

1. Do I need to do anything with the fuel system to relieve the pressure or shut it off somehow to keep gas from coming out?

2. How do I change it? Do I simply screw it off and screw the new one on? The filter is a quicksilver.

I need any and all guidance.

Thanks,

Scott

I did some boating with the fuel cap off after adding some gas. The next day the boat wasn't running so hot at higher speeds and it was suggested that I change the water/fuel separator. The owners manual has no steps on how to change it (this is the filter by the engine).

1. Do I need to do anything with the fuel system to relieve the pressure or shut it off somehow to keep gas from coming out?

2. How do I change it? Do I simply screw it off and screw the new one on? The filter is a quicksilver.

I need any and all guidance.

Thanks,

Scott

I am not sure about the 03 sportster, but i have an 04 sportster with the Indomar fuel injected 5.7. There is no water separator on this boat. The only fuel filter is in the line from the tank to the engine. It is not a water separator. So you may not have one at all.

I am not sure about the 03 sportster, but i have an 04 sportster with the Indomar fuel injected 5.7. There is no water separator on this boat. The only fuel filter is in the line from the tank to the engine. It is not a water separator. So you may not have one at all.

It has one. I stopped by the malibu dealer and they pulled the Quicksilver water/fuel separator filter for me. When I got home, I checked my boat and sure enough front left of the engine has the exact same filter on it that states its a water/fuel separator, a Quicksilver model also.

I didn't ask any questions cause I thought it be a twist off and replace, and I'd refer to the owners manual with any questions. However, the manual had no info on it and said to take fuel issues to an authorized repair shop because of fuel pressure procedures. I'm probably making more out of it, because the Malibu dealer just gave it to me and said change this out first and see if you are still having high rpm boginess. From speaking with him it sounded like a no brainer change.

The EFI engines don't have one, the carbureted engines do have them. Oh, and the Black Scorpions that were an option back then have them as well.

You just spin it off and spin the new one on. I'd suggest wrapping a towel around it as you loosen it up to avoid any spills and any little pressure that may be in the system.

Mike

Edited by mlange
The EFI engines don't have one, the carbureted engines do have them. Oh, and the Black Scorpions that were an option back then have them as well.

You just spin it off and spin the new one on. I'd suggest wrapping a towel around it as you loosen it up to avoid any spills and any little pressure that may be in the system.

Mike

My boat does have a carborator. Thanks for the help everyone this forum has been helpful.

Fill the new filter with gas before spinning it on so that you don't put that extra work on the fuel pump and put a little clean motor oil on the rubber gasket. Thumbup.gif