Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

XPC bearings

I installed some XPC bearings from Skidim.com and my question is should the shaft slide through the strut easily with the new bearings? I had to use a block of wood and a hammer to get my shaft through the strut.

To check for heat what do I look for? Discoloration on the shaft? Also, I had to hit it pretty hard, how to I fix this? Does that mean my strut it bent?

To check for heat what do I look for? Discoloration on the shaft? Also, I had to hit it pretty hard, how to I fix this? Does that mean my strut it bent?

You should be OK.. I dont think you would bend the shaft...If something is wrong your rim will get hotter than a firecracker!!It will be warm normally---But not Hot... Good Luck,,, Maybe someone else will reply as well !!

I installed some XPC bearings from Skidim.com and my question is should the shaft slide through the strut easily with the new bearings? I had to use a block of wood and a hammer to get my shaft through the strut.

There are 2 sizes of the xpc bearings on their site. You may have gotten the wrong size

I don't know how they could be the wrong size when both offered on skidim.com are 1 1/8''.

The sizes are 1 1/8'' X 1 1/2''

1 1/8'' X 1 3/8''.

Wouldn't the only difference be the length?

I did mine this summer (MC, not BU). The shaft slid into the new bushings easily. It took hardly any pressure at all. Take a caliper and measure your shaft. It should match the inside diameter measurement of the bushing. If it does, you're probably ok. If not, I'd get the right size.

KWP

bump

There's no real reason to bump this- if you were pounding the shaft into the strut with a hammer you got the wrong size bushings. You should remove and reinstall the correct size. You could have put the 1 3/8" OD bushings into a 1 1/2" ID strut. That would compress the bushings enough to make for a very tight fit for the shaft. Get a caliper out and measure the inner diameter of your strut. That should match the outer diameter of your bearing. So the measurements you see on these bushings are Outer Diameter of Shaft X Inner diameter of Strut.

Edited by M3Fan
bump

There's no real reason to bump this- if you were pounding the shaft into the strut with a hammer you got the wrong size bushings. You should remove and reinstall the correct size. You could have put the 1 3/8" OD bushings into a 1 1/2" ID strut. That would compress the bushings enough to make for a very tight fit for the shaft. Get a caliper out and measure the inner diameter of your strut. That should match the outer diameter of your bearing. So the measurements you see on these bushings are Outer Diameter of Shaft X Inner diameter of Strut.

I completely agree with this assessment. Just a minor correction - I think you mean a 1 1/2" OD bushing into a 1 3/8" ID strut, yes?

• 3 weeks later...

Did you check the fit before putting it ni the strut.you just got a bad bushing.there is no way the shaft would have even started if they sent the wrung one. 1 1/8" will not go into 1'.

Did you check the fit before putting it ni the strut.you just got a bad bushing.there is no way the shaft would have even started if they sent the wrung one. 1 1/8" will not go into 1'.

1 1/8" will go into 1' = 0.88888888888888888888888888888889

someone had to do it... Whistling.gif

• 8 months later...

98 Malibu VLX. I installed mine yesterday and the shaft slid in very easily - maybe even too easily. I tested them on the shaft prior to installation and they would slide down the whole shaft with no friction at all (which confirmed, at least to me, that the play isn't caused by shaft wear at ONLY the bearing location). I contacted Skidim and according to them, some play is OK. I am very curious how they perform. I haven't yet reinstalled the set screws (waiting on answer from skidim) but this may tighten them a little bit.

For those who installed these bearings, do you agree that a loose fit is OK? I do not have a mircrometer but would estimate the play at less than 1/64ths of an inch.

Thanks.