Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 VLX lcd guages acting up

TexasWakeRep

So I'm draining my ballast tanks yesterday getting ready to head in after a great day on the river. I try to turn the first one off by pressing the button under the lcd screen on the left of the steering wheel. Immediately after it goes to 'OFF', it switches itself right back to 'Drain'. I try it again, same thing happens. I try to turn off the other tanks, same thing happens. So now my pumps are running with no water flowing through them...great. I have 2 batteries, so I switch it to the off position....pumps all turn off. I turn it back on and the pumps aren't running. So I try to hit the 'Fill' button....it shows 'Fill' and immediately switches itself over to 'Off'. I turn everything off, unplug the wiring harness from the back of the left lcd unit...plug it all back in...same problem. Out of curiosity, I try the power wedge.....same issue! I've had the boat for several weeks and made quite a few trips and the switches have worked great until yesterday. Looks like the boat will be in the garage for a few days with Gustav on its way....so I will have time to troubleshoot it. Anybody have any suggestions on this one? Thanks in advance for your help!

mine do the same thing sometimes. you have to be more persistant and keep pushing the button until it stays on the function you want. hmmm, hadn't really thought of this as being a problem, but now, having thought about it, i will be getting it replaced or repaired. it would suck to be out and have it not working at all.

Edited by Cervelo
So I'm draining my ballast tanks yesterday getting ready to head in after a great day on the river. I try to turn the first one off by pressing the button under the lcd screen on the left of the steering wheel. Immediately after it goes to 'OFF', it switches itself right back to 'Drain'. I try it again, same thing happens. I try to turn off the other tanks, same thing happens. So now my pumps are running with no water flowing through them...great. I have 2 batteries, so I switch it to the off position....pumps all turn off. I turn it back on and the pumps aren't running. So I try to hit the 'Fill' button....it shows 'Fill' and immediately switches itself over to 'Off'. I turn everything off, unplug the wiring harness from the back of the left lcd unit...plug it all back in...same problem. Out of curiosity, I try the power wedge.....same issue! I've had the boat for several weeks and made quite a few trips and the switches have worked great until yesterday. Looks like the boat will be in the garage for a few days with Gustav on its way....so I will have time to troubleshoot it. Anybody have any suggestions on this one? Thanks in advance for your help!

I though I was someone mention that the LCD switch panels can be problematic. It caught my eye for obvious reasons. You should call your dealer and ask about it, you may be due to have them swapped out.

I have a similar, but perhaps more complex problem on my 08 VTX, only with the Wedge. The dash gauge shows that the Wedge is deployed. When I push the UP button on the LCD I hear the motor running, but the dash gauge doesn't move. When I check the wedge under water, it is in the UP position even though the gauge says it is DOWN. I then try to deploy it, and it doesn't go down... probably because the gauge says it is already down. Then of course, when I go over 24 mph, the Wedge alarm goes off and I have to press Enter to get it to stop. I have recalibrated the Wedge and reset all settings to Factory Defaults, and nothing fixes this. Has anyone else experienced this type of problem? At least it is stuck in the UP position.

• 1 year later...

I have a similar, but perhaps more complex problem on my 08 VTX, only with the Wedge. The dash gauge shows that the Wedge is deployed. When I push the UP button on the LCD I hear the motor running, but the dash gauge doesn't move. When I check the wedge under water, it is in the UP position even though the gauge says it is DOWN. I then try to deploy it, and it doesn't go down... probably because the gauge says it is already down. Then of course, when I go over 24 mph, the Wedge alarm goes off and I have to press Enter to get it to stop. I have recalibrated the Wedge and reset all settings to Factory Defaults, and nothing fixes this. Has anyone else experienced this type of problem? At least it is stuck in the UP position.

I just purchased a new 2008 Response Lxi and took it out today for its maiden voyage and encountered the exact same problem where the Wedge is in the up position but the gauage says it is in the down position/alarms go off. Is there a DIY fix or is the only choice see the dealer to resolve. Boat only had 7 hours so I'm hoping to avoid going to the dealer until the engine break-in period (20 hours) is done so hoping there is a DIY fix.

Edited by gomce

I just purchased a new 2008 Response Lxi and took it out today for its maiden voyage and encountered the exact same problem where the Wedge is in the up position but the gauge says it is in the down position/alarms go off. Is there a DIY fix or is the only choice see the dealer to resolve. Boat only had 7 hours so I'm hoping to avoid going to the dealer until the engine break-in period (20 hours) is done so hoping there is a DIY fix.

As for both of you with the wedge gauge issues, most likely your wedge position sensor is loose or mechanically out of adjustment, it's too difficult to explain for a DIY so just let the dealer know the issue so they can diagnose and repair.

As for the MUX displays switching a item back to off or getting locked up, there are multiple things that could make the display do that. Mention it to your shop so they can diagnose Don't forget that your fuse panel / power module box can be used as a manual override or disconnect for any accessory if you ever experience a problem with the switch modules.

-Paul

As for both of you with the wedge gauge issues, most likely your wedge position sensor is loose or mechanically out of adjustment, it's too difficult to explain for a DIY so just let the dealer know the issue so they can diagnose and repair.

As for the MUX displays switching a item back to off or getting locked up, there are multiple things that could make the display do that. Mention it to your shop so they can diagnose Don't forget that your fuse panel / power module box can be used as a manual override or disconnect for any accessory if you ever experience a problem with the switch modules.

-Paul

Good news .. with the boat on the trailer this morning I was able to get everything working correctly by following advise on this forum. Since wedge was in up position but the gauge thought it was down I tried seeing seeing if I could push the down button and luckily it went down. I then reset the calibrate down setting. I then crawled under the boat and gave the paddle wheel a spin while the wife hit the up button and it went back up to the top but the gauge only read 1/2 up. Then reset the calibrate UP setting and gauge went to full up. Then pushed down button wedge went down/gauge showed down. Gave the paddle wheel a spin pushed the up button wedge went up/gauge also went to full up .. so I'm back in business ready for next day out on the water. I think being a newbie to Malibu's and all the electronic gauges I think I confused the computer while out on the water yesterday playing with the settings and must have reset the calibrate down button when it was actually up. Lesson learned .. loving my new Response and really glad there is such good advise on this Forum .. saved me having to take the boat to dealer/being without if for a week.. so thanks everyone. Now I just need to finish that engine break-in and get the 7 hours of use up to 20 hours so I see what it is like to ski behind this baby.