Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1998 Sporty LX

bclerval

Good Morning everyone. I am new to this site and have a question I am sure you can answer. I have recently sold my Mastercraft and I am now going through boating withdraw. I have talked my wife into getting another one. This time I am looking at a 1998 Sportster LX. My concern is storage space, if there is any. I know it is not as large as my Maristar so I will not compare them both. What I would like to know from anyone who owns this model year Sportster LX is where do you put your dock lines, extra life vest and an anchor? And how well does the "Wedge" work?

The boat I am looking at is a good price, just want to make sure I can live with the storage space. I have 4 kids that wakeboard so I need the open bow option.

Thanks,

Brian

I do not own a Sporty, however, I was about to buy one once. Two things changed my mind. The overall condition of the boat and the lack of storage. I too have 4 kids and they barely ski. I have a Response LX and it barely has enough room for my family of 6 and all equipment yet it has more storage space than a sporty. Mainly because of the trunk and a tiny bit bigger boat.

The only storage you will have is under the passenger seat area. There is no trunk. The only other space would be if you remove the rear seat and set skis etc there in it's place. Another way to add storage areas is a tower. It can hold all wakeboards, skis etc.

the closed bow has a lot of room up front, which is the only storage space you'll have.

I love the boat, but I opted to look for a closed bow for the much needed storage space and the look!!!

not a great boat for a family of 6..

Good Morning everyone. I am new to this site and have a question I am sure you can answer. I have recently sold my Mastercraft and I am now going through boating withdraw. I have talked my wife into getting another one. This time I am looking at a 1998 Sportster LX. My concern is storage space, if there is any. I know it is not as large as my Maristar so I will not compare them both. What I would like to know from anyone who owns this model year Sportster LX is where do you put your dock lines, extra life vest and an anchor? And how well does the "Wedge" work?

The boat I am looking at is a good price, just want to make sure I can live with the storage space. I have 4 kids that wakeboard so I need the open bow option.

Thanks,

Brian

Thanks,

Brian

i have a 1998 respons lx for sale-on craigs list kc. and the 'bu website. i think that this

size boat would be much better for you. the wedge is great. take a look-you might be interested

gene

Hi Brian,

We have a 98 sportster lx so I thought i could help ya out.

As for storage space, there is basically none. The passenger seat flips up so you can put a couple ski-ropes and/or a couple life jackets in there, but that's it for storage.

No hidden storage for skis etc, just on the side of the motor cover

We don't have a wedge, so I can't help you there. Maybe that would help but w/o it wakeboarding is not enjoyable, surfing is out of the question (I've tried)

The seating up front does help, I'd say 2 adults/ 3 kids can fit up front. 2-3 adults on passenger seat, and you can fit 4 in back, but not if you're skiing/wakeboarding because of the pylon in the middle.

We don't go out for long 'sessions' on the lake where we have to switch from skiing to wakeboarding etc. We just go back to our dock to switch, so we don't bring a lot of equipment out on the water.

Basicially, in the words of ron scarpa (world barefoot champion) at the 1998 minneapolis boat show, this boat is just a 'badass ski boat' nothing else. so if you're into slaloming, go for it.

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

(Im only 16 haha but this site is awesome)

Edited by ryan19

including my '98 there are three sportster lx's on my lake. The other two have the wedge option and they wake board and surf. We just got ours two weeks ago and we love it. Very minimal storage, I'm probably going to add a tower to get the skis and boards off the floor.