Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 VLX or 2009 VLX

surferbobo

Hi

I am new to the site

I just bought a new 08 VLX. I did not understand the full range of changes to the 09 till i read some of the posts. I think I bought the wrong boat. We have been out a couple time and all the things that were mentioned about the 08 are right. Hate the low seat, could not surf without throwing a sac in the back. Is the wake that much better in the 09. The price different at the dealer was 12K (got a heck of a deal on the 08). We had a 99 VLX and had it dialed with 2,000 lbs. of ballast. The wake on the 08 with full ballast and wedge is not as good. It was choppy today and the 08 VLX with the wedge at 60% was bouncing up and down like crazy. Help!

Congrats on the new boat! Post a pic when you have a chance. Yahoo.gif

In the meantime, take a deep breath. The 2005-2008 VLX is widely considered one of the greatest wakeboats ever made. The hull changes in 2009 (from what I understand from others as I've not personally demoed) are refinements rather than wholescale changes.

You will need to add ballast to surf to ANY boat, including the 2009 VLX. Your VLX WILL throw a great surf wake.

Use the flip up seat riser and you'll be fine. Bow rise on your Bu is MUCH less than industry standard. The '09 is better but you are kind of splitting hairs with that...

The wedge position depends on your speed and water conditions. That is the same for the '09. The beauty of the power wedge is that you CAN adjust it.

Now shake off the natural buyer's remorse that is eating at you, enjoy your spectacular new boat and stop worrying that you could have had something "better". Your boat is an AWESOME machine and a big improvement over your '99 in almost everyway. Thumbup.gif

If you still want an '09 at the end of next year, upgrade....you'll make Bu very happy if you do.

Our VTX bounces with the wedge up too high. We've come to rely on our feel of the wedge rather than the gauge. We had to have our wedge acuator replaced and our gauge read more acurate before the fix. So, put that wedge down a little and the bow will come down.

We modified the presets for surfing an additional sack or extra people when surfing.

We had the surf wake dialed in better on our 08' VLX better than our new 09' LSV. Any Bu' needs a lot of extra weight to get a great surf wake... We fill an addional 1600# of sacs and have some lead weight as well. On the VLX we would get the rubrail almost to the water in the the rear surt side corner but havne't had enough weight in the LSV yet.

The wake board wake is sooooooooo sweet on your boat... Again we haven't had much time to get our new one dialed but I loved every thing about that VLX wake.

Do you have bow ballast? If not than it an bow ballast sac from Fly High and put it under the seats. This will help with the bouncing that you were talking about. If you need the sac let me know I will possibly sell mine.

In the meantime, take a deep breath. The 2005-2008 VLX is widely considered one of the greatest wakeboats ever made. The hull changes in 2009 (from what I understand from others as I've not personally demoed) are refinements rather than wholescale changes.

You will need to add ballast to surf to ANY boat, including the 2009 VLX. Your VLX WILL throw a great surf wake.

Use the flip up seat riser and you'll be fine. Bow rise on your Bu is MUCH less than industry standard. The '09 is better but you are kind of splitting hairs with that...

The wedge position depends on your speed and water conditions. That is the same for the '09. The beauty of the power wedge is that you CAN adjust it.

Now shake off the natural buyer's remorse that is eating at you, enjoy your spectacular new boat and stop worrying that you could have had something "better". Your boat is an AWESOME machine and a big improvement over your '99 in almost everyway. Thumbup.gif

If you still want an '09 at the end of next year, upgrade....you'll make Bu very happy if you do.

Plus1.gif

When looking at getting either an 09 or 08 LSV, I was worried that getting an 08 would be dumb cause the 09's are coming out and would be better. After looking through them at the dealership there are very few differences besides malivue, which isn't standard anyways. Don't worry that you bought the wrong boat. It's a Malibu... you cant' go wrong with the wakeboard boat of the year for the past however many years it's been.

Relax, and enjoy your VLX Thumbup.gif

Plus1.gif

When looking at getting either an 09 or 08 LSV, I was worried that getting an 08 would be dumb cause the 09's are coming out and would be better. After looking through them at the dealership there are very few differences besides malivue, which isn't standard anyways. Don't worry that you bought the wrong boat. It's a Malibu... you cant' go wrong with the wakeboard boat of the year for the past however many years it's been.

Relax, and enjoy your VLX Thumbup.gif

Thanks for the replys - we went out today on calm water with just two in the boat and the wake was good. Dialed down to wedge to 30% and it worked well. Yes we do have the front ballast. We are going to load it up with weight tomorrow to see how gooood it can be. In my 99 I put into 50 gallon tanks on each side of the engine and pumped it all in. I look in the back of the 08 VLX and it screams for replacing the stock tanks with much larger tanks - 50 or 60 gallons.

Actually my 09 VLX is the FIRST boat I have been able to surf with only two people in the boat and two tanks full. That's quite a feat for me since I weigh like 230 lbs. My 08 VLX was a pain to dial in the surf wake, and we needed extra weight. Also- the power wedge is worthless on the 07-08 VLX after about 30%, it washes out the wake. With my new 09 I can actually take the power wedge up pretty far without washing out the wake. For $12,000 difference if I were you I wouldn't do anything right now, but the new VLX is everything that the 08 was and more. Maybe consider it next year after you have had time to enjoy the new VLX. If money isn't an option, then throw down and get the 09.

Actually my 09 VLX is the FIRST boat I have been able to surf with only two people in the boat and two tanks full. That's quite a feat for me since I weigh like 230 lbs. My 08 VLX was a pain to dial in the surf wake, and we needed extra weight. Also- the power wedge is worthless on the 07-08 VLX after about 30%, it washes out the wake. With my new 09 I can actually take the power wedge up pretty far without washing out the wake. For $12,000 difference if I were you I wouldn't do anything right now, but the new VLX is everything that the 08 was and more. Maybe consider it next year after you have had time to enjoy the new VLX. If money isn't an option, then throw down and get the 09.

Thanks for the reply Trentster. It was actually your comment about surfing that got me thinking. I am 230 lbs too so I know actually what you mean. We were out today and with the wedge right on 30% the wave washed out. I went and saw the Malibu dealer today and he said that they have never had anyone complain about the bouncing with the wedge set at 70%. He said that they we need to calibrate it. Money is a bit of an issue so I have decided to keep the 08. First improvement is to raise the seat. We were sitting in the 09 at the dealer and it is soooo much better. It is actually 3 inches higher.