Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

At How Many Hours is the 2nd Service Due??

tj_in_kc

Okay,

Here's a puzzler for you....

So got the 07 Bu with 5 hours on it back in May. Put 6 hours on it immediately that weekend for the breakin.

Got the inital service done that weekend at 11 hours.

It now has 50 hours on it.

MY QUESTION:

Is the 2nd service due now, at 50 hours?

OR

Is the 2nd service due 50hrs from the 1st service, so at 61 hours??

Just trying to figure out if I need to take it to the dealer now, or if I can wait another 3 weeks, and 11 hours and get it serviced at the end of the season.

Any thoughts on this? Particularly interested in hearing from people that have owned new boats, and at how many hours you took it for its 2nd service at....

I believe the 2nd service should be at 25 hrs, BICBW? Then every 50 after that!!!

2nd one at 61 hrs is just fine. My boat was 20hrs for first change, and every 50 after that. A few extra hrs is fine.

I talked to the service manager at the place I got my 08 Malibu. I took mine in for the 20 hour service with 13 hours on it. He said I don't have to come back till I have close to 100 hours.

First service 20 hrs, second one 50 after that (70 total, 61 in your case). But, they don't really care if you leave it til the end of the season.

However, as per my Monsoon manual, it specifies that if you do a lot of low RPM cruising, such as wakeboarding, surfing, etc, then you should change the oil every 25hrs. Changing the oil is the big thing. Any other issues you will notice if they pop up.

Enjoy!

I talked to the service manager at the place I got my 08 Malibu. I took mine in for the 20 hour service with 13 hours on it. He said I don't have to come back till I have close to 100 hours.
First service 20 hrs, second one 50 after that (70 total, 61 in your case). But, they don't really care if you leave it til the end of the season.

However, as per my Monsoon manual, it specifies that if you do a lot of low RPM cruising, such as wakeboarding, surfing, etc, then you should change the oil every 25hrs. Changing the oil is the big thing. Any other issues you will notice if they pop up.

Enjoy!

So my morning ski run before we fill up the ballast start wakeboarding is actually good for the engine? I can use that as my excuse now? To prolong the oil life? Whistling.gif

It's always good to run the engine at high RPMs for a couple minutes each time you're out. It will burn off anything in the engine that may have gunked up during all the low RPM cruising. At least this is what I hear...

so other than changing the oil, what do they do in a service?

I know that they are suppposed to check the engine alignment, but if you feel no vibration, would you even need to worry about it?

just a few thoughts.

thanks

anthony

Speaking as a dealer, dependent upon which area of the country you are in , here in fla. due to high humidity we service the breakin at 25hrs, and then every 50hrs or 6 months. Breakin service includes changing all fluids , and full inspection of hoses, belts, linkage, rudder lube, electrical, and trailer tires, bearings, whinch and crank up wheel. 50hr service would be only oil and filter, and other fluids trans, and v box inspected with all the other inspections mentioned. If the boat is used by a hard core wakeboarder , with lots of extra weight we do the trans, fluid every 50hrs. because almost every time we check the fluid it is turning color due to heat. None of our boats sold ,leave here without a raw water sea strainer, which saves a lot of water pump impellers and or over heating.