Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer lights keep blowing trucks fuse?

04WakesetterDD

Not sure where to post this topic so here goes. I have an 2005 F-150 with factory trailer package. There is a 20 amp fuse in the passenger kick panel that controls the trailer's running lights (brake lights and turns are another circuit) that keeps blowing. Interestingly we also have an 2001 Expedition with factory tow package that doesn't have this problem.

Truck is like new (24k miles) and just developed this issue. Any ideas?

Same thing happened to me, oddly enough I drive an f150 too. (2006) My problem was with the harness. I replaced the harness on the trailer, the part that you plug into the truck and it never happened again.

Same thing happened to me, oddly enough I drive an f150 too. (2006) My problem was with the harness. I replaced the harness on the trailer, the part that you plug into the truck and it never happened again.

Did you just splice in a new 4 pin end or how did you make this fix ? I hate to cut and splice trailer wiring (it's a 2004).

Friend of mine had the same problem. He wasn't real stealth about finding the problem, so he just disconnected the trailer lights before the dip each time. I'm sure it's not what you want, but it will get you by until you can track down the fix.

"Found On Road Dead"

Backwards: "Driver Returned On Foot" Biggrin.gif

(you know someone had to do it...)

Good luck my friend.

Friend of mine had the same problem. He wasn't real stealth about finding the problem, so he just disconnected the trailer lights before the dip each time. I'm sure it's not what you want, but it will get you by until you can track down the fix.

"Found On Road Dead"

Backwards: "Driver Returned On Foot" Biggrin.gif

(you know someone had to do it...)

Good luck my friend.

You forgot "Fix Or Repair Daily"

well my Ford factory harness works great. the yota I used to have with the hidden hitch aftermarket job was horrible, always blowing fuses. had to get right into the tail light assembly to find a decent ground <- your possible problem.

Or F'ed Over Rebuilt Dodge. Rockon.gif

or .... F.O. Road Debris

Actually, of the F150, F250, F350 and HD3500 that I have had, the F150 was by far the least problematic, also was only 2WD. The 1-tons by far the worst, both the Chevy and Ford. Since Nissans are going to be made by Dodge soon, if I ever get another full size PU it will be a Toyota.

To the original poster, search the forums for a bit, there have been a few lengthy threads discussing troubleshooting trailer lights and vehicles posted with lots of good suggestions.

sounds to me like it might be shorting when it hits the water. If the wiring doesn't have a descent seal, it might do this. Duct tape it up and test it. if it holds, get some new connectors.

Could just trade it in on a Chevy_anim.gif

Man, what would you guys say if I had a Dodge?

BTW, what about First On Race Day?

It's supposed to be F'd on race day.. Easy mistake to make. :)

sounds to me like it might be shorting when it hits the water. If the wiring doesn't have a descent seal, it might do this. Duct tape it up and test it. if it holds, get some new connectors.

I always unplug the trailer prior to launching, so that is probably not the source of the problem. As I stated in the original post I tow the same boat/trailer with a 2001 Expedition with no problems at all.

Not sure where to post this topic so here goes. I have an 2005 F-150 with factory trailer package. There is a 20 amp fuse in the passenger kick panel that controls the trailer's running lights (brake lights and turns are another circuit) that keeps blowing. Interestingly we also have an 2001 Expedition with factory tow package that doesn't have this problem.

I have a 2006 F-150 with the factory towing package also and I am towing a 2004 WS VLX on a boatmate trailer... now to ask the questions.

Does your truck have the round 7 pin and a 4 flat option?

I have a round 7 pin that I plug in and it converts to a 5 flat (think pigtail) I think it is around $50 for the one that I have.

I have never had a problem blowing a fuse... I will get the model number off of my pigtail and try to snap some pictures this weekend.

I have a 2006 F-150 with the factory towing package also and I am towing a 2004 WS VLX on a boatmate trailer... now to ask the questions.

Does your truck have the round 7 pin and a 4 flat option?

I have a round 7 pin that I plug in and it converts to a 5 flat (think pigtail) I think it is around $50 for the one that I have.

I have never had a problem blowing a fuse... I will get the model number off of my pigtail and try to snap some pictures this weekend.

Yes truck has both options. Since I have the 5-pin flat for the trailer, I'm using the 7 pin round to 5 pin flat adapter. This is a hard plastic plug about 3" long with the 7 pin on one end and the 5 pin on the other.

An easier, cleaner, less expensive solution might be putting a round seven plug onto the wiring on your trailer. That's what I did. No adapter and it works great! Thumbup.gif I think the plug was like 10 bucks.