Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Finally out of the tube

Tory1340

So, my 12 y/o daughter FINALLY had the nerve to try the kneeboard last weekend. A little peer pressure from a 12 y/o son of a friend, perhaps? She could steer and jump a tube, but was afraid of getting dumped and being alone in the deep water with other boats around. Anyhoo-- she "fell" out of the tube a few weeks back and realized all was OK and she would try the kneeboard, a vintage Trident. Since she stayed the week with my folks at the lake this week, she has mastered side slides, 180s and 360's both directions. Yahoo.gif Problem is, behind my father's pontoon boat (he will not use the Bu when I'm not there).

Now she is apprehensive of the big VLX wake and says she'll go behind the floaty boaty only. Cry.gif The float boat does not have a ski tow point or a tower, so the rope tied off the the deck is super low to (in) the water. How hard would it be to fab a mini tower to bolt to the rear deck, with support provided by the rear bench seat? None of the multi-fit pylons really seem suitable for pontoon boats. Of course I'll keep reminding her the wake from the VLX will give great air for more fun and exciting tricks.

OK, kneeboardworld.com is one good resource. Any others oh-knowledgeable ones?

Yeah, I'm thrilled about this development. Too bad it's toward the end of the season. Still no skis or wakeboard.

So, my 12 y/o daughter FINALLY had the nerve to try the kneeboard last weekend. A little peer pressure from a 12 y/o son of a friend, perhaps? She could steer and jump a tube, but was afraid of getting dumped and being alone in the deep water with other boats around. Anyhoo-- she "fell" out of the tube a few weeks back and realized all was OK and she would try the kneeboard, a vintage Trident. Since she stayed the week with my folks at the lake this week, she has mastered side slides, 180s and 360's both directions. Yahoo.gif Problem is, behind my father's pontoon boat (he will not use the Bu when I'm not there).

Now she is apprehensive of the big VLX wake and says she'll go behind the floaty boaty only. Cry.gif The float boat does not have a ski tow point or a tower, so the rope tied off the the deck is super low to (in) the water. How hard would it be to fab a mini tower to bolt to the rear deck, with support provided by the rear bench seat? None of the multi-fit pylons really seem suitable for pontoon boats. Of course I'll keep reminding her the wake from the VLX will give great air for more fun and exciting tricks.

OK, kneeboardworld.com is one good resource. Any others oh-knowledgeable ones?

Yeah, I'm thrilled about this development. Too bad it's toward the end of the season. Still no skis or wakeboard.

Thats a good development, kids will do things at their own pace. Nothing wrong with encouragement but too much can scare them!!!

Don't bother with the pole for the pontoon boat, they are not meant to tow and can put unseen stresses on the pontoons. I find it hilarious when people put a big

250hp outboard behind them as well, its just retarded. Its always fun visiting a friend who runs a boat shop near here, lots of stress cracks and broken welds can be found.

Just go slower in the bu, less wake, no ballast, low weight onboard, and then gradually build it up to te normal wake and she should be ok.

Congrats thO!

I would find a way to get another knee board and do double with her behind the Bu, there may be a sense of confidence if she knows someone close to her is right by her side. You can use one rope from the tower and one from the pylon with slightly different lengths. Once she gets on and rides it may be a whole other story and she could get by doing it by herself.

Good Luck and congrats, it's great to see kids develop. Wait till you see her on a wakeboard :)

Tory if peer pressure would help you could bring her by my house some time and she could see my kids on skis, wakeboards, kneeboards, trick skis etc. Maybe being on a smaller lake would help her be more comfortable as would the smaller wake behind the Response.

We will be skiing through September. I had my 9 year old out tonight and he is making full passes at 24 mph including gates now and my daughter was out kneeboarding with a neighbor and his daughters.

*****UPDATING*****

Saturday morning she tried the wakeboard, after about 1/2 hour on the kneeboard. She popped right up and then fell out the front. This was on a little old LF kids board with pretty weak bindings. Her season is effectively over with school and dance schedules, but I can see Santa hooking her up with some gear! We are so thrilled to see she found the nerve to try it. My baby isn't one any more. SUnday & yesterday the wind was a lovely 15-25 gusty NW, so nothing doind behind the boat except for a short tube ride for the guests.

Thanks for the offer, Mark. I might have to stuff a ski or 2 in the car for the ride home next Sunday.

We are still skiing. My 9 year old is crazy about it. Yesterday at 6 PM he came in my office asking to go ski. It was about 70* with the same water temp and he skied 8 sets in the course (best was 2 bouys at 26 mph) and went for a nice wakeboarding set where he learned to land his first wake 180.

I think we will be skiing through mid October anyway. I generally try to have the boat put away by Halloween as the hockey schedule gets crazy then.