Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water under ski locker but transom plug dry?

Hey everyone. I purchased a used 2003 Wakesetter LSV 23 this summer. Really enjoying it and after a tune-up, is running great. I've noticed that after a day out on the water, there's 1 to 4 inches of water in the mid section of the boat, under the ski locker, but when I pull the plug in the transom, she's bone dry. I understand a small amount of water comes in the boat around the felt packing of the drive shaft, but would think that would show up in the bilge area at the rear of the boat. We haven't been going through much chop either, so I'm wondering a couple things.

1.) Where's it coming from? It has the center ballast and I've filled and emptied it just after launching with the locker door open to observe, and not seeing any obvious leaks (still could be slow ones). Also doesn't seem to be coming in from the T-plug, which I'm now having to pull after each use to drain that area.

2.) Shouldn't this water drain to the rear of the boat? I don't like having standing water around my center ballast sack as it's getting black/moldy or something down there!

Thanks for any thoughts / suggestions!

1.) Where's it coming from? It has the center ballast and I've filled and emptied it just after launching with the locker door open to observe, and not seeing any obvious leaks (still could be slow ones). Also doesn't seem to be coming in from the T-plug, which I'm now having to pull after each use to drain that area.

2.) Shouldn't this water drain to the rear of the boat? I don't like having standing water around my center ballast sack as it's getting black/moldy or something down there!

The water is most likely coming from the propeller shaft packing,it's supposed to drip a little to lubricate and cool it self. The center plug on your V-drive is the only plug you should need to pull at the end of the day as that is the low spot in your boat. It's the same in my VLX, I never pull the transom plug just the center one as thats where all the water will accumulate.

Hey, thank you! Well, I guess it all makes sense now. Appreciate the quick response and alleviation of my worries! M'Crew rocks!

The water is most likely coming from the propeller shaft packing,it's supposed to drip a little to lubricate and cool it self. The center plug on your V-drive is the only plug you should need to pull at the end of the day as that is the low spot in your boat. It's the same in my VLX, I never pull the transom plug just the center one as thats where all the water will accumulate.

I have water in that area too, and I pull the plug but it does not fully drain, always an inch of water in there. At the end of the season I will pull the transom plug at the launch when the boat is at incline and maybe all the water will drain out the back, we will see. Hate to store for the winter with water still in the boat, will end up a murky mess I'm sure.

I have water in that area too, and I pull the plug but it does not fully drain, always an inch of water in there. At the end of the season I will pull the transom plug at the launch when the boat is at incline and maybe all the water will drain out the back, we will see. Hate to store for the winter with water still in the boat, will end up a murky mess I'm sure.

I use a shop vac after every use to clean out the built in ice chest and if the carpet needs it and get the last little bit of water out of the bilge.

I use a shop vac after every use to clean out the built in ice chest and if the carpet needs it and get the last little bit of water out of the bilge.

Plus1.gif

Plus1.gif

I have the same thing happening in my 03 21 VLX. Am I the only one that thinks that having to get out the shop vac to drain the ski locker is ridiculous. the water is getting there somehow, just need to find out where and how! I have a couple of theories but don't really know... #1 maybe there is a loose connection in the drain line for the ballast. #2 somehow the water is getting in from the main (engine) bilge. Keep in mind that the ski locker has a plug that you can screw in and/or screw out to seperate it from the main bilge. Mine is screwed in so no water can gain access here. I do not have a shower so there is no leak from here. The packing on the vdrive and rudder are good. #3 ball valves i may turn all the ball valves for the ballast to the off position next time i go out and see what happens. #4 theory is maybe there is water leaking from the skegs on the keel.