Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I'm not sure about my balls...

spinxt

We are setting up a slalom course on the river where we ski. I'm responsible for ordering the turn balls and boat lane buoys. I noticed on Bart's that the boat lane buoys are oblong in shape compared to the turn buoys. My questions are this:

-Why to the boat lane buoys have to be different in shape from the turn balls (and does this apply to the entry gates as well (or just the lane after the entry gate))?

-Should all of the balls buoys be the same color, or is this just personal preference?

You can go with regular skier balls for the boat guides. They aren't as nice, but functionally they are just fine.

Here's how the course we use is set up...

55m Balls - Green.

Gates - Red

Boat Guides - Yellow

Skier Balls - Red

Intermediate Skier Balls - Green

Mike

Boat guides do not have to be a different shape.

The buoy color should set as:

Green - 55M Balls & Mini course balls (Optional)

Orange - Gates & Regular course balls

Yellow - Boat guides.

See the waterski rules - Page 25 for shape, page 49 for colors.

Edit - Darn - mlange posted while I was looking up the reference.... :)

Edited by wienrdog
We are setting up a slalom course on the river where we ski. I'm responsible for ordering the turn balls and boat lane buoys. I noticed on Bart's that the boat lane buoys are oblong in shape compared to the turn buoys. My questions are this:

-Why to the boat lane buoys have to be different in shape from the turn balls (and does this apply to the entry gates as well (or just the lane after the entry gate))?

-Should all of the balls buoys be the same color, or is this just personal preference?

Totally off topic, but I just have to say.,.This topic could go the wrong way real quick! Not sure about my balls? Balls of different color? Entry Gate? oh my! Whistling.gif

Totally off topic, but I just have to say.,.This topic could go the wrong way real quick! Not sure about my balls? Balls of different color? Entry Gate? oh my! Whistling.gif

LOL, I was thinking the same thing when reading the topic. Wondering what the his balls on the course were all about Thumbup.gif always great fun on this site :)

You can make them any shape and color you want. But the standard would be...

Yellow pill shaped boat guides

Green Pre-gates

Orange or Red turn balls, and gates.

Green cheater balls if necessary.

Nobody is going to jump on where you put the "blue balls"? :unsure:

That's because a cheater's balls are rarely blue. . .

See what I mean? This topic is a target for Tease2.gif !

Whatever you do, don't use Purple balls.

See what I mean? This topic is a target for Tease2.gif !

Whatever you do, don't use Purple balls.

Or black ball"s" :) very hard to see Biggrin.gif

Speaking from experience there, Jack? Dontknow.gif

As it turns out, one of they guys we ski with is going to let me use his balls Drool.gif

OK, if you are going to make a crack like that, at least have the decency not to use that particular emoticon. Don't think it sends quite the image you were going for.

The worst is when you're running late and narrow and accidentally ski over one of your balls. Vomit.gif Makes you wanna barf sometimes.

ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif Funniest thing I've read on this site in a long time!

Canada has cold water... Whistling.gif

The worst is when you're running late and narrow and accidentally ski over one of your balls.

:lol::lol:

Speaking from experience there, Jack? Dontknow.gif

Nope. Just passing on hearsay. Don't tell me you'd like to refute it by stating you're a cheater and STILL have the blue ones. Crazy.gif A guy would have to be a nerdy, pocket-protector-toting engineer to allow THAT. :Doh:

As it turns out, one of they guys we ski with is going to let me use his balls Drool.gif

"they" guys? is that code for "the gay" guys?

the+gay = they ?? :unsure:

Man I really set myself up for that one......and I was going for this emotion---> Clap.gif , but clicked the drool guy below by accident.....

One little slip up and you jokesters are all over it!! Got to love it!

• 2 weeks later...

The oblong foam, or whatever they are made of, balls are nice because they can take more abuse. They will take prop hits without sinking. So in the end they will last for many years. Inflatable balls probably won't.

Edited by bretski75

Our public course takes a beating during the 7/4 - 9/1 period. We replaced 30 balls during that 8 week stretch. The foam guides for the boat lane would be nice, but at the rate we have to replace them, it would add up quickly. The foam guides are over $6/each or 12 for $80 at Overtons.

I have seen bottles used for pre gates, guides, etc. It's fine as long as it doesn't mark up the side of the boat. Anything will work, it is just a matter of what you want to use.

Earlier this year, Overtons had a clearance on balls for $3 each. Unfortunately, those are all gone and I am looking for another source. Ed at EZ Slalom has balls for $4 each.

Any dealers here have a surplus of bouys? I would order 40-50 bouys if you do. PM me.