Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Interesting Fuel Pump Problem...With a Solution

Long story short, last time out I nearly ran out of gas. 1998 Monsoon. It started to sputter so I dropped, the driver turned it off, and I swam the boat back to the dock (small, private lake so it wasn't far) as I didn't want to run completey out of gas. I got home and put 5 gals of gas in the tank, then cycled the fuel pump several times thinking all was ok.

This morning, I filled the boat up on the way, and I backed the boat off of the trailer and it sputtered and eventually died. I could tell it wasn't getting any gas, but the fuel pump cycled normally and sounded as it always did. Now, after troubleshooting for quite some time I concluded it was getting no gas past the fuel pump...I was getting pressure because I could bleed air out of the system past the pump, just no fuel. All was fine leading up to the pump. I was convinced it simply would not prime.

After trying everything I could think of without success, I figured the pump was turning on, just not pumping enough to pressurize the system as it should...and I feared a new fuel pump was needed. Then my ski partner suggested one last idea of crimping the return fuel line at the bottom of the pump while trying to pressurize. Tools were limited, so we carefully crimped the return line with vise grips, and it started right up. To my amazement it worked and now runs fine.

Just sharing in case someone comes across the same problem some day.

Seth

Completely off subject, but I dated a girl from Rock Falls while I was in college. Are you familiar w/ Grennan Farms and the Grennan family?

Hijack off....

A couple of miles from my house...but the only one I know personally would be in her mid 40's and married, so no longer the Grennan last name.

I work with a Grennan and she is from Byron which is near Rock Falls.

• 7 months later...

So, I had the same problem today. Boat started right up, but then acted as if it ran out of gas...slowly sputtered and started to die. I could restart it and it would run for a few seconds and then die. So I got the vice grips out and again carefully crimped the return line and it started right up and continued to run fine...starting and stopping numerous times without any issues.

Now, this was the first time it had been run since winterization last November. Has anyone experienced the fuel pump not priming before? I'm glad that there seems to be a simple solution to getting the pump primed, but I'm wondering if that means the fuel pump is starting to get weak? Any technical gurus out there with an opinion?

As for testing the fuel pressure, I do not have the handy schrader valve that everyone else seems to have, but it doesn't seem like a pressure problem as it ran perfectly once I primed the pump.

So, I had the same problem today. Boat started right up, but then acted as if it ran out of gas...slowly sputtered and started to die. I could restart it and it would run for a few seconds and then die. So I got the vice grips out and again carefully crimped the return line and it started right up and continued to run fine...starting and stopping numerous times without any issues.

Now, this was the first time it had been run since winterization last November. Has anyone experienced the fuel pump not priming before? I'm glad that there seems to be a simple solution to getting the pump primed, but I'm wondering if that means the fuel pump is starting to get weak? Any technical gurus out there with an opinion?

As for testing the fuel pressure, I do not have the handy schrader valve that everyone else seems to have, but it doesn't seem like a pressure problem as it ran perfectly once I primed the pump.

It could be your fuel pressure regulator which is on the fuel return line. If its stuck open you will not get enough pressure, it will just bleed off through the return line. Just a thought.

I would second the fuel pressure regulator. Where are you at in Rock Falls? I have a fuel pressure guage and would check it for you. I am just south of Rockford on I-39. On another note Gm has problems in the cars with fuel pump losing prime and you have to crank it for 20-30 seconds to prime it. There is a check valve in the pump that goes bad. May be similar problem. Maybe try a pump and see what it does, they aren't that expensive.

I got the boat out this week as well, just not on the water yet.

Skiier64, I see your from Rockford as well. Maybe if this rain would go away we could get the river open to ski at least.

I'm not sure I have a "real problem" just yet. The first time last August I nearly ran out of gas...but obviously ran out enough before shutting down to lose the fuel pump "prime." The boat never had another issue last fall. The second time was after sitting for the winter at initial start up. That was the longest the boat ever sat without running, as my winterization is usally December-Late February.

I agree, it sounds like maybe the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm is failing. The troubleshooting for that part is apparently to see if there is fuel in the vacuum hose for the regulator, so if it happens again I will check that. I recall the pump for MPI applications as at least $300, so I don't want to try one to see. :unsure: I'm not sure theif testing fuel pressure will be of help, as it runs fine.

medicdiver, I live just south of Rock Falls, not too far from I-88. I am spoiled and have access to a private lake with slalom course and jump...you're welcome to come on down sometime. Otherwise, we ski on the Rock between Dixon and Sterling/Rock Falls.

I would second the fuel pressure regulator. Where are you at in Rock Falls? I have a fuel pressure guage and would check it for you. I am just south of Rockford on I-39. On another note Gm has problems in the cars with fuel pump losing prime and you have to crank it for 20-30 seconds to prime it. There is a check valve in the pump that goes bad. May be similar problem. Maybe try a pump and see what it does, they aren't that expensive.

I got the boat out this week as well, just not on the water yet.

Skiier64, I see your from Rockford as well. Maybe if this rain would go away we could get the river open to ski at least.

Medicdiver- the river opened and I was able to get out and do some wake boarding on Saturday, it sure felt good to get out on the water again! Clap.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a fuel pump problem also on my 2003 monsoon. When I would first put it into the water it would run great, after a while it wouldnt rev over a certain rpm; just die out. I checked the fuel filter and it was clean, traced the fuel line from the pump all the way around the intake and didnt see another filter or a fuel pressure regulator, even saw the return line right off the fuel rail and didnt notice a regulator. I put a fuel pressure tester on the schrader valve and put it in the water and at first it was running about 45 psi. and after a while when I tried to get into it the pressure dropped to around 15 psi. The only thing I can think of is the fuel pump unless someone can tell me where the pressure regulator is located....

Edited by bnew03xti

Sounds like a fuel pump issue to me. I would change the fuel filter, not check it. I just bought one from NAPA for $13. Just change it, I plan on changing it twice a year. If it still has same problem, then I would replace the pump.