Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission fluid and oil filter?

arsenuts411

I am changing oil and transmission fluid and was wondering for a 04 wakesetter with the monsoon motor what Type of tanny fluid is recommended and how much?

Also if anyone knows the oil filter that can be bought from napa that would be greatly appreciated.

I am changing oil and transmission fluid and was wondering for a 04 wakesetter with the monsoon motor what Type of tanny fluid is recommended and how much?

Also if anyone knows the oil filter that can be bought from napa that would be greatly appreciated.

Napa gold 1069

Napa gold 1069

Thanks I appreciate it.

Anyone on the tranny fluid I seen in the indmar .pdf that there are a few different types of transmissions and each take a different type of transmission fluid.

Napa gold 1069

Thanks I appreciate it.

Anyone on the tranny fluid I seen in the indmar .pdf that there are a few different types of transmissions and each take a different type of transmission fluid.

it should say next to the tranny dip stick.

• 3 years later...

My owners manual says to do the following annually; "Change transmission oil and filter, Dextron III w/Mercon" How hard is it to change the filter?

jkendallmsce

Is there a transmission filter?? I have a LXI so no V drive. I change it everyother year, but honeslty have never checked to see if there is a filter. who knew!!

thanks Pete

Is there a transmission filter?? I have a LXI so no V drive. I change it everyother year, but honeslty have never checked to see if there is a filter. who knew!!

There is a screen in the bottom of the transmission but looks very difficult to get out. I change my fluid every other year and agree it would be a hard to service item.

I use a mighty-vac to extract the fluid and I pour it into an old tupperware container to measure what I am able to suck out exactly. Then, I replace exactly the amount I remove. Run the engine at the lake to heat up the fluid and check the dipstick to make sure I am at the proper level.

-- Mike

• Like 2

There is a screen in the bottom of the transmission but looks very difficult to get out. I change my fluid every other year and agree it would be a hard to service item.

I use a mighty-vac to extract the fluid and I pour it into an old tupperware container to measure what I am able to suck out exactly. Then, I replace exactly the amount I remove. Run the engine at the lake to heat up the fluid and check the dipstick to make sure I am at the proper level.

-- Mike

:plus1:

jkendallmsce

-- Mike

Is the screen to get out the big chunks?? I do the same, measure whats removed and replenish with the same.

Edited by jkendallmsce

There is no clutch fiber material in a boat tranny like a car has so, no real reason for a filter / screen. Except for "big chunks" but, if you have "big chunks" that need to be filtered out, the damage is already done.

• Like 2
jkendallmsce

There is no clutch fiber material in a boat tranny like a car has so, no real reason for a filter / screen. Except for "big chunks" but, if you have "big chunks" that need to be filtered out, the damage is already done.

thanks for the info.

Been a Malibu owner for 20+ years and still learning!!

• 1 year later...

I have an 02 vlx and was wondering if the tranny fluid is sucked from the dipstick hole opening or is there a drain plug ? I do all of the other maintenance and it has not been back to the dealer for many years. Prolly should start changing this as well. Should the v-drive fluid be changed bi-annually as well.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Easiest to pull both the trans. and V-drive fluid up out through the dipstick holes. Measure how much comes out and put in a little less than that to start.

You have to measure trans. fluid level with drive line hot and running since ATF expands when hot.

I would change both every 2 yrs.

• 7 years later...

I find that I have to add more than i measure from removing, not less, because there's 10-15% of the fluid that gets held up in the transfer pump and hoses. But I don't have to guess - I check the dipstick just before I remove the ATF, so I know what it should look like when I'm done. I learned that I need to wait 5-10 minutes to let the newly-added ATF settle, especially in the main transmission, before I measure on the dipstick. Just want to add that I greatly value the information and tips in these forums. They've given me the ability and the confidence to do much of the maintenance myself, which, being 4 hours from a Malibu dealer, is extra-valuable.

On Velvet Drive, ZF, and Indmar transmissions the fluid level should be checked within 30 seconds of turning off the engine.  If you wait several minutes after to check it, then the level shown on the dipstick may not be correct.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Irishman said:

I find that I have to add more than i measure from removing, not less, because there's 10-15% of the fluid that gets held up in the transfer pump and hoses. But I don't have to guess - I check the dipstick just before I remove the ATF, so I know what it should look like when I'm done. I learned that I need to wait 5-10 minutes to let the newly-added ATF settle, especially in the main transmission, before I measure on the dipstick. Just want to add that I greatly value the information and tips in these forums. They've given me the ability and the confidence to do much of the maintenance myself, which, being 4 hours from a Malibu dealer, is extra-valuable.

If you use something like this, you don't have that issue.  Suck it out, hold it upside down and draw back a little to get all the fluid in the measuring section

https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MVA6851-Automotive-Accessories/dp/B00MPQ8RBG/ref=asc_df_B00MPQ8RBG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312177448019&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9821984585204001113&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019644&hvtargid=pla-448423078982&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=61495038909&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312177448019&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9821984585204001113&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019644&hvtargid=pla-448423078982

Thanks. Do you think that pump also can get more than approx. 60% out? E.g get deeper down into the two dipstick holes. (I have the ZF 45 IV with separate dipsticks for transmission and V-drive) I I used a multi-use pump with 4' red soft vinyl tubing.