Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anybody have an experience!!!

68Slalom

To the skiers on the board, I'm thinking about buying the Nitro ski. I'm riding a HO truth 69" now and have been on a CDX and phantom, I would like to try another ski for next season. Does anyone have any experience on the this ski:

<a href="http://www.hosports.com/gear/product?id=9176" target="_blank">http://www.hosports.com/gear/product?id=9176</a>

Mostly for free skiing or would the System 8 be a better ski? I ski at a comfortable 33-34mph and plan on running the course more next year, any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by 68Slalom

Is the 69" ski a bit big for your size? I think a 67" would be better. I've been very happy w/ the S8, but believe me in the course you'll slow down probably to 30-32 mph. The S8 is a somewhat forgiving but get off edge and it'll search big time. This ski starts to really come alive at 33mph.

The Nitro is probably better if you do more free skiing and ride flat at times to "rest".

Is the 69" ski a bit big for your size? I think a 67" would be better. I've been very happy w/ the S8, but believe me in the course you'll slow down probably to 30-32 mph. The S8 is a somewhat forgiving but get off edge and it'll search big time. This ski starts to really come alive at 33mph.

The Nitro is probably better if you do more free skiing and ride flat at times to "rest".

Yeah, I bought the ski when I was a bit bigger and in better shape I can't remember if it's a 68" or 69". I was about 195lbs at the time I bought it and I am down to around 180lbs now so yes the ski is probably a little bit too much for me right now.

I was on a S8 a few years ago and really liked it. Can't speak to the Nitro but agree with the comment about the Nitro being more stable if you are riding flat.

I am 180 pounds and usually ski 34mph, and am on a 68, no problem turning it, but usually isn't my problem. If you think you will be skiing the course at a slower speed the 68 may be the way to go.

I had a Nitro in 2006, it was a move up from an HO Charger. it seemed like a good ski at the time, but it did not go through the wakes very well compared to the Triumph I’m on now. Just happened to find this out on the third ride or so, when it got squirrelly off the second wake and I badly broke my ankle in three places (surgery, the whole bit). Now I’m not blaming the ski, but my 69in Triumph cuts the wakes much better than the Nitro ever did for me, it doesn’t ramp off the wakes like the Nitro did if I flattened out too much and it settles quicker after plowing through them as well. Plus the Triumph allowed the slower speeds needed (at least for me) to learn the course, guess what, I’ve got a lot to learn still. In the mean time, the Triumph remains a great ski compared to my experience with the Nitro.

I’m approx. 230lbs and have yet to run the course with any success over 32mph @ 15off, even after years of trying, good thing it’s so fun and addicting.

The Nitro did not settle well with me, but then again I wasn’t running it at the speed it may have come alive with through the course. It’s only rated for 34mph or less though. They had someone on the 2007 ski tests state that it was not a course ski and a comment was made about the wake crossing, I tend to believe in those statements first hand.

From what I’m reading, the Radar Senate would be a great ski for this speed level also.

My .02

Edited by lakewaterjunky

It's not like you live in some poe-dunk (sp?) town with no way to demo skis. Ride'em. Everyone "in the know" recommended the S8 for my level and I absolutely hated it in the course. It was fine for big lazy S turns while freeskiing but I found it too soft for my preferences for course skiing. Of course, there are guys who run it into shorter lengths than I can run my Monza but my point is...it's a very personal thing. Demo.

It's not like you live in some poe-dunk (sp?) town with no way to demo skis. Ride'em. Everyone "in the know" recommended the S8 for my level and I absolutely hated it in the course. It was fine for big lazy S turns while freeskiing but I found it too soft for my preferences for course skiing. Of course, there are guys who run it into shorter lengths than I can run my Monza but my point is...it's a very personal thing. Demo.

DEMO!! It is the only way to go! I went from a phantom to a D3 Nomad and really like the D3. There are lots of different skis worth trying, Connolly F1X, Obrien Syncro, Radar Senate, HO A1 / Monza / Sys 8.... also consider what you want to do for boots... there are lots of diffent choices with that also.

Gibbo

To the skiers on the board, I'm thinking about buying the Nitro ski. I'm riding a HO truth 69" now and have been on a CDX and phantom, I would like to try another ski for next season. Does anyone have any experience on the this ski:

<a href="http://www.hosports.com/gear/product?id=9176" target="_blank">http://www.hosports.com/gear/product?id=9176</a>

Mostly for free skiing or would the System 8 be a better ski? I ski at a comfortable 33-34mph and plan on running the course more next year, any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tony, you and me both are gonna be rounding the bouys next year. Steve Thumbup.gif

I'm a 15' off skier and jumped from a Connelly Hook to a System 8. Really like it. Wish I had done it a couple of seasons earlier.

Monza was too much for me and the sometimes less than ideal water conditions. Remember it's not just your skills, but also what water you ride on. Very stiff ski ok on glass but not as pleasant to ride or forgiving on rough water, or if skills not so good.

Got lots of great information from Joe at HO today, he spent way more time with me on the phone than he had too, but very much appreciated. Great customer service Thumbup.gif We went over all the skis that I have been on and the one I currently ride now, we went over my set it up and boot position for the way I ski, he explained why I had the boot position where it is now to make it feel right for me and he explained the difference and performance of each ski that I have had.

Wealth of knowledge and I recommend HO product to everyone!

In my experience UK is dead on. Monza is awesome in good conditions, in the chop, or if your form isn't great, probably not the best.

Totally agree, I'm keeping my truth for rec. skiing and the System 8 for the course. It should be a great season, I'm hoping to stretch it out into Nov. this year even if it's with a dry suit :)

Good luck with the course, and don't let the drysuit slow you down.

That was an intersting play on words or whatever you call it. Since the extra drag will slow you down.

On a side not I can't wait to see what I am after graduating from Boot Lube Applier, I hope thats at 100 posts

On a side not I can't wait to see what I am after graduating from Boot Lube Applier, I hope thats at 100 posts
Sorry I have to see.
Sweet, I'm a trailer polisher.

And apparently, a post count ho. :lol:

Sorry I have to see.
Sweet, I'm a trailer polisher.

And apparently, a post count ho. :lol:

says the pot to the kettle..... Whistling.gif