Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need a bigger surf wake

Sidro

Hey guys, I was out on an 03 Malibu Direct Drive wakesetter this weekend and we could not get the wake large enough to surf w/o the rope. The boat has a center ballast 300 pounds? and a manual wedge, we had 3 people in the back and still could not get it to work. How much more weight will make things work? Thx

Hey guys, I was out on an 03 Malibu Direct Drive wakesetter this weekend and we could not get the wake large enough to surf w/o the rope. The boat has a center ballast 300 pounds? and a manual wedge, we had 3 people in the back and still could not get it to work. How much more weight will make things work? Thx

You need a lot more weight, in the back on the surf side.

I was out on a '98 Sunsetter LX (essentially the same hull) this weekend, and with the Wedge down and a Pro X Fat Sac (750lbs.) on the surf side it was a VERY nice wake. I was really impressed by how well shaped it was, and how long the pocket was. It won't compare to a newer boat with factory MLS and extra ballast, but it was plenty big enough to ride without a rope, and even do some ollies and shuv-its.

I was out on a '98 Sunsetter LX (essentially the same hull) this weekend, and with the Wedge down and a Pro X Fat Sac (750lbs.) on the surf side it was a VERY nice wake. I was really impressed by how well shaped it was, and how long the pocket was. It won't compare to a newer boat with factory MLS and extra ballast, but it was plenty big enough to ride without a rope, and even do some ollies and shuv-its.

Plus1.gif Having the right board will go a long way as well. Make sure that you're using a longer board that's got good flotation, that will help a lot. Make sure that you have everyone on the surf side, the lean is important on that boat.

Plus1.gif Having the right board will go a long way as well. Make sure that you're using a longer board that's got good flotation, that will help a lot. Make sure that you have everyone on the surf side, the lean is important on that boat.

Thanks guys, I'm trying to put this together for a family member before the holiday weekend. We'll start with the fat sac recommened above. Thanks again.

Yes, 5'6 would be better. Better yet would be a 5'6 board with good flotation like a CWB Ride, among others. I used to own what was basically that boat & the board made a big difference. We had Broadcast 5'6, but we all had an easier time on the CWB Ride that we sometimes got to use. You can check out Liquid Force, Inland Surfer & Phase 5 as well, they make some good products that generally have more flotation than the Hyperlite products. Bottom line - board length & more flotation will do a lot to overcome a smaller wave.

Has anyone surfed behind a response lxi? We just bought an '08 two weeks ago. We obviously ski mostly, but when the water gets choppy we want to wakeboard or surf. The wake is a little small even with the wedge down. Any suggestions?

I have the LF venture in 5' and it is fairly easy to go ropeless behind our slxi. I am 6'2 and right under 200lbs. I have surfed with as little as the ski locker sack and 2 people on the surf side. Not great, but.... As mentioned above, the more weight the better. I think tracy is right, you need a board that is designed for a smaller wake.

I have an 06 RLxi and with 725 lbs in the back and one guy (roughly 200lbs) on the side you are surfing you can throw the rope back in the boat. And also the power wedge at half way. The only issue is I take on water through the engine vent, but that is what the bidge is for.

Liquid Force Custon 4'-10" and Phase 5 Oogle are great for small wakes.