Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Warranty Help Please!

Deltawake

This is my situation: We have a 2007 WS VLX. I noticed that the main belt was shedding rubber particles. Our dealer has no local service department, so I took the boat to an authorized Indmar shop. The diagnosis was that the alternator pulley was somehow spinning out of round and that we would need a new alternator. We were told that this would be covered under the Indmar powertrain warranty. Well, the repair has been done for about a month now, and the shop is calling saying that I owe them $673, because Indmar is not covering the repair.

According to the shop, Indmar's excuse is that we have over 500 hours on the boat. I thought that the powertrain warranty was for three years without regard to the number of hours on the boat.

Any insight is appreciated.

That was my understanding also, 3 years period. Hours not withstanding. I would get on the phone with indmar over this claim and have them explain to you why this would be covered on a boat with 50 hours and not 500.

Also $673 for a new alternator is CRAZY!

-Chris

Not taking anyone's side on this, but how come it took so long for the belt to shred if the alternator was bad. I think the repair shop may have been giving you some bad information Whistling.gif Was this the first time changing the belt?

Not taking anyone's side on this, but how come it took so long for the belt to shred if the alternator was bad. I think the repair shop may have been giving you some bad information Whistling.gif Was this the first time changing the belt?

Either way it is a mechanical failure of a part under warranty not due to the misuse of the boat, should be covered.

Crash- I think you're misinformed. The 400 hour limitation is on the "stem to stern" warranty. The powertrain should be 3 years with unlimited hours.

Are you with Delta Wakeboard camp? If so did the repair shop note that the boat was used for commercial use? If so that may be why Inmar declined it.

What is the closest dealer service center to you?

The full warranty info is in the Operator's Manual available for download from Indmar here: http://indmar.com/ProductLine/index.html

The snippet on the warranty period is that it is 36 months form date of purchase for non-commercial use. No mention of hours is made.

Mike

We have an '06 LSV...Warranty is 3 years or 300 hours whichever comes first and then we have the extended warranty that moves that to 6 years and unlimited hours. I would check the fine print on the 36 month unlimited hour warranty as I don't think that exists.

I would have thought the shop would call for authorization from you if warranty was not covered since they should have called Indmar to check first. May have a good argument on your hands with them.

-Chris

We have an '06 LSV...Warranty is 3 years or 300 hours whichever comes first and then we have the extended warranty that moves that to 6 years and unlimited hours. I would check the fine print on the 36 month unlimited hour warranty as I don't think that exists.

I would have thought the shop would call for authorization from you if warranty was not covered since they should have called Indmar to check first. May have a good argument on your hands with them.

-Chris

I think you are confusing the Malibu and the Indmar warranties. Malibu is 3 years 400 hours where Indmar is 3 years unlimited hours.

-Chris

-Chris

I think you are confusing the Malibu and the Indmar warranties. Malibu is 3 years 400 hours where Indmar is 3 years unlimited hours.

-Chris

YUP

From the Indmar website, the abridged version:

Page 89, Section C-3:

6. Warranty Period.

i. 36 months from the date of purchase, in the case of non-commercial use.

ii. 36 months from the date of lease, in the case of non-commercial use.

iii. 3 months from the date of purchase, in the case of commercial use.

My guess is that they are looking at a 2007 with 500+ hours and saying it is commercial use, thus the 3 month warranty is what applies.

Edited by kiley
Are you with Delta Wakeboard camp? If so did the repair shop note that the boat was used for commercial use? If so that may be why Inmar declined it.

The full warranty info is in the Operator's Manual available for download from Indmar here: <a href="http://indmar.com/ProductLine/index.html" target="_blank">http://indmar.com/ProductLine/index.html</a>

The snippet on the warranty period is that it is 36 months form date of purchase for non-commercial use. No mention of hours is made.

Mike

No, We're not with Delta Wakeboard Camp. The hours are personal use. We are in Disco Bay. The closest dealer shops would either be Ultimate in Vacaville, Cope's in Santa Clara, Boat Country in Escalon, or Cope's in Rio Linda. All of these shops are over an hour drive away. Therefore the most convenient place to have the boat serviced was at an independent Indmar approved shop in Livermore, so that is what we did.

Not trying to be a knob here, but if this is the same boat that is all over the www.wwavillalagos.com website I can see why Indmar would consider this commercial use. If this is all personal hours, then I want your life. I'm stretching it to get 50 hours on the meter every year.

Mike

The full warranty info is in the Operator's Manual available for download from Indmar here: <a href="http://indmar.com/ProductLine/index.html" target="_blank">http://indmar.com/ProductLine/index.html</a>

Mike

No, We're not with Delta Wakeboard Camp. The hours are personal use. We are in Disco Bay. The closest dealer shops would either be Ultimate in Vacaville, Cope's in Santa Clara, Boat Country in Escalon, or Cope's in Rio Linda. All of these shops are over an hour drive away. Therefore the most convenient place to have the boat serviced was at an independent Indmar approved shop in Livermore, so that is what we did.

Peter,

I'd recommend talking to Indmar directly about this, I've talked w/ Larry Engle in the past and has provided great detailed responses and very helpful. I suspect the repair shop isn't communicating w/ Indmar correctly. Did the local shop get preauthorization for the repair? This may have been a requirement....

Mike

Can I asked who you used?

Crash- I think you're misinformed. The 400 hour limitation is on the "stem to stern" warranty. The powertrain should be 3 years with unlimited hours.

Deltawake youve been misinformed there is a 400 hour cutoff or 3 years the Indmar dealer or Malibu dealer should of told you this information. Indmar is usually good with working with you if your close on hour or time though.

Edited by CRASH

Deltawake youve been misinformed there is a 400 hour cutoff or 3 years the Indmar dealer or Malibu dealer should of told you this information. Indmar is usually good with working with you if your close on hour or time though.

Frustrated.gif

Crash-

I pulled this directly out of the Indmar website:

From the Indmar website, the abridged version:

Page 89, Section C-3:

6. Warranty Period.

i. 36 months from the date of purchase, in the case of non-commercial use.

ii. 36 months from the date of lease, in the case of non-commercial use.

iii. 3 months from the date of purchase, in the case of commercial use.

My guess is that they are looking at a 2007 with 500+ hours and saying it is commercial use, thus the 3 month warranty is what applies.

http://www.indmar.com/About/ContactIndmar/..._Presentweb.pdf if you would like to look yourself...... Page 89 is the warranty stuff.

Update: I spent half an hour on the phone today with Jim in the Tennessee Indmar warranty department. Among other things, he stated that a dealer who monitors this forum indicated that our boat was used for lessons at Delta Wakeboard Camp. Nothing could be further from the truth. So, whoever you are, I would ask you to please send a retraction to Indmar. My screen name "Deltawake" is one I have been using since 2004 on the old Malibu Boat Owners, on Wakeworld, and on The Malibu Crew. Delta Wakeboard Camp did not exist until I believe 2006. I have NO BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP WITH DELTA WAKEBOARD CAMP! DWC sponsored WWA Villa Lagos this year by providing a few half hour lessons.

Somebody said that our WWA Villa Lagos constitutes commercial use. We pull 2 WWA tournaments per year, and a few INT tournaments.

This is done with Malibu's blessing. I'm pretty sure that Malibu would not be happy with Indmar if they voided our warranty because we promote Malibu by using our boat to pull a few tournaments. Is every boat used in a tournament deemed to be a "commercial use" boat?

As for the 500 hours that we have put on our 2007 VLX in the past year, I assure you that they are personal hours. Anybody who knows us knows that wakeboarding is our family obsession. My 3 kids all wakeboard competitively at a pretty high level. That takes practice, and practice is what we do. That puts hours on a boat.

Sorry this has been long winded. If you are the dealer who called Indmar and gave false information about our boat usage, pleased call me so that we can reach an understanding. My phone # is (408) 309-6062. If you don't want to call me, please call Indmar and retract whatever you said. Thanks.

Im not here to argue. I work in a service department in a Malibu dealership. As per our understanding the hours apply.

If the hours count, where is it stated?

Deltawake, I can totally see putting that many hours on your boat with 3 kids boarding plus living on the water in Disco Bay. Hopefully, who ever misinformed Indmar will make it right. Even though it was pretty lame that anybody would even do that. Guns.gif

My guess is you took the boat to Liquid Wrenches. Enough said. I have taken my boat to Nor Cal MC in Isleton and they did my warranty work with no issues. I'm sure you could try Nor Cal MC in Pleasanton for your Indmar service next time. For you Malibu related service, Boat Country is closer than Fairfield or Santa Clara for you.

The hours do not count. The warranty specifically states, "without regard to hours" Indmar does not dispute this. Indmar is trying to say that we are using our boat for commercial purposes, which would completely void our warranty. Since we do put a lot of hours on, it is important to me that the warranty remain in effect.

The warranty has several ultimate weasel clauses. The words: "solely determined by Indmar" appear at least 9 times in the warranty.

I'm starting to get a very bad taste in my mouth over Indmar's failure to honor their obligation. I'll try to get Malibu to put some pressure on if I can get no satisfaction with Indmar directly.