Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slow battery drain 08 VTX

I came home from holidays this year and had the boat in the garage for 3 weeks pulled it out and the battery was dead, I thought wth? So charged it up had a good day on the lake brought it home and tried to sort out where the draw was coming from, I think the JBL black box is drawing a slight amount of charge after isolating the amp, the battery cut off, etc., it draws the battery down about 0.2 of a volt per day, anyone else have this going on?? I haven't talked to my dealer yet.

Yes I have the exact same problem with my 08 VTX - Now I'm turning of the battery switch every night to save juice. I also noticed my heater goes on sporatically. The new switches are apparently a problem and I hear they are coming out with new ones. (According to my dealer) with such a short season left up here (MA) I will just let them fix it over the winter. I do not have the Black Box JBL so that may not be the problem, but something is constantly drawing power.

There is a clock that is constantly drawing power and with mine it was doing the same thing and found out it was the power wedge drawing because it constantly does a power polling (for safety) to verify if wedge is in the up or down position. Put a perko switch in and problem solved.

The power draw on the 08 is likely not the same as an 06. Catalac and Kimbro, after key-off your switch panels should stay active for roughly 30 minutes. Check after that time to see if the LCD labels are gone but the backlight is still on. If so, you found your power draw.

Catalac, Stoopid® question department: Are you turning off the stereo prior to turning off the boat? The reason I ask is this: If the stereo is on and you turn off the boat, the stereo is still 'on' even though nothing comes through the speakers.

Thanks for the replies guys, yes stereo off first. I was wrong on the draw, it does not draw if the bat is switched off with the isolator switch, talked to my dealer they said BU is replacing all the switch panels and the black box on 08's?

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the replies guys, yes stereo off first. I was wrong on the draw, it does not draw if the bat is switched off with the isolator switch, talked to my dealer they said BU is replacing all the switch panels and the black box on 08's?

Are there any other recalls in effect for the 08's.