Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'96 Sunsetter with Illusion tower

Chicken

I've had a couple of folks that wanted to see pics of my Sunsetter with the Illision X tower, so here goes. We bought this boat in '03 and had it buffed and upgraded the decals along with adding the tower. This is the same tower that fits the Vride, but as you will see from the pictures, it fits a little farther forwad on this boat due to different demensions of the top deck.

post-6765-1219609236_thumb.jpg

post-6765-1219609369_thumb.jpg

Here's a few other custom items we've added - gas springs and latch for the rear decklid instead of the old actuator motor, platform door for wedge, windblock, and connection in the ski locker to hook up a hose for filling additional sacks.

post-6765-1219609789_thumb.jpg

post-6765-1219609806_thumb.jpg

post-6765-1219609826_thumb.jpg

post-6765-1219609846_thumb.jpg

I love how that tower looks on that year boat. Rockon.gif Even though it fits farther forward on the deck, the contour of the tower and widshield line up really well.

How much was the tower? i was thinking about trying to put one on my 95 sunsetter

joeyd

I love how that tower looks on that year boat. Rockon.gif Even though it fits farther forward on the deck, the contour of the tower and widshield line up really well.

How much was the tower? i was thinking about trying to put one on my 95 sunsetter

joeyd

It was around $2500 installed - If I had it to do again, I would install it myself.

joeyd

It was around $2500 installed - If I had it to do again, I would install it myself.

Chicken, what kind of reinforcing was done for the tower? And how tall is the tower folded down? Will it fit in a 7' Tall Door?

joeyd

Chicken, what kind of reinforcing was done for the tower? And how tall is the tower folded down? Will it fit in a 7' Tall Door?

There is a piece of flat aluminum that is through bolted under the deck as a backing plate for reinforcement.

It will not fit under a 7' door. It's even pretty close to an 8'.

Where can you order an illusion tower from........Malibu Dealer?? It looks awesome! Thumbup.gif

I got this one through the dealer. I doubt that Metcraft would sell one direct, but someone else on the site could answer that better than me.

I've had a couple of folks that wanted to see pics of my Sunsetter with the Illision X tower, so here goes. We bought this boat in '03 and had it buffed and upgraded the decals along with adding the tower. This is the same tower that fits the Vride, but as you will see from the pictures, it fits a little farther forwad on this boat due to different demensions of the top deck.

Are you happy with the position at where the installed the tower. I think I would have wanted it a little further back so when it's down it wouldn't be resting on the windshield, but it's only my opinion.

I think it looks great otherwise Thumbup.gif

joeyd

Having it further forward provides more area for access.

Where can you order an illusion tower from........Malibu Dealer?? It looks awesome! Thumbup.gif

I got this one through the dealer. I doubt that Metcraft would sell one direct, but someone else on the site could answer that better than me.

You must buy any Metcraft product through an authorized dealer.

Chicken, I have one more question. How Tall is the tower from the floor? I hate my tower now because I hit my head all the time.

Thanks,

Adam

It's just over 6'. I'm 6'0" and don't have to duck under the tower, but I do have to be carefull of the rear of the bimini when I have it up.

Are you happy with the position at where the installed the tower. I think I would have wanted it a little further back so when it's down it wouldn't be resting on the windshield, but it's only my opinion.

I think it looks great otherwise Thumbup.gif

It will only fit the deck right where it is. The top of the deck on this boat only has a flat area about 3" wide, and the beam narrows from the windshield back. The tower could only be moved forward or back just a few inches and still line up. I was worried when I first saw how it was going to fit & have to fold over the windshield, but It's actually worked out well.

Looks very nice. I actually like it mounted further forward. That way it gives you more room to enter the boat and it looks better IMO. Another benefit is the bimini gives you more frontal coverage and actually goes past the windshield. Resting on the windshield would be a issue for some that fold the tower on the a regular basis.

This is very unique. Most of the older bus have the Titans or the Monster towers. Nice work on the other add on options also!!!

Edited by jimw