Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trick Ski Advise

nemalibu

A friend of mine, who no longer boats (hard to believe), just gave me his old trick skis (early 1990's). I am a decent slalom skier and I just learned w2w jumps on the wakeboard. How should I approach the trick skis?

1. any tricks to getting up on them?

2. what speed should I go?

3. what stunts should I try first?

I had the chance to ride one. I rode a slalom. I got up on it like you would a slalom ski, only slower. Lots of fun. But was like trying to stand up on a sheet of ice. Be prepared to bust your a$$ but have a lot fun doing it. If I remember right the speed was 18-20 mph.

I started trick skiing last year and it's pretty fun, but I don't do it enough to get good at it. I prefer 1 ski while my dad likes riding on 2. With a short rope I can clear the wake, but I fall quite a bit.

The biggest thing on trick skis is weighting yourself. You don't lean back on them like you would a slalom ski or wakeboard. You lean back a little but for the most part keep your weight centered. I think 1 ski is easier to ride since it reminds me of a wakeboard. We ride about 18 mph. I can only get about a 1ft of air but my dad is pretty decent on them.

It is great to see another trick skier being developed. You can start on one or two skis. You will probably learn the basic side slides and turns a little faster on two but there is no bproblem with starting on one either.

On one ski you need to be much more centered than you are on two. Basic tricks to learn are the side slides and 180s. To initiate the turn begin with a smooth pull in on the rope to your waist then unweight slightly and initiate the turn with your hips.

Have fun and post if you have any specific questions.

Tricking is the best! I like to trick at 18 mph and I think that slalom is much easier than 2 skis. Work at a side slide on each direction first then progress to 180's and 360's. My 10 year old daughter just started to try tricking today on a single ski. She was able to get up, ride and start to work on side slides. She almost got a 180 on her first attempt. Good luck and enjoy the tricking!

For me, learning was easier at a little slower speed. Like 16. For the driver, just pull like a slalom skier at irst but once the skier is up, back off pretty quick.

Keep your eyes on the horizon, be patient, really patient, and prepare to drink a lot of water. I thinks its one of the hardest events to be good at, which is probably why its popularity is tapering off.

Trick skiing is awesome. There are not enough trickers out there. Some say trick skiing is the foundation of all waterskiing. It teaches you balance. A good trick skier will be able to pick up many other disciplines extremely quickly. Just like learning to waterski, use 2 at first. If you haven't ridden one, try it and you'll have an entirely new respect for trick skiers.

I would be curious to know what the average tricker has in their "bag of tricks". Anyone think it is worth a poll?

I have a lot less than I used to but I took about 17 years off. Right now I have basic surface turns including backs and fronts both ways, both side slides and Os both ways. I also have WB, WF and the reverses. In my younger days I added WO, WBB, TB, TF TWB, TWF, TS and LB, LF and the wake versions. This probably added up to just under 2K points if I could stand everything up.

I would be curious to know what the average tricker has in their "bag of tricks". Anyone think it is worth a poll?

I'd be even more curious as to what the wakeboarders with the slammed Wakesetters can do.

Does anybody know if you can even buy a new pair of tricks skis anymore? I've got a pair of Connelys that are probably pushing 25 years old. I've been making them work with a wide assortment of binding parts for several years now. I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on bindings that will likely cost more than what the skis cost with bindings when they were brand new. Every once in a while you'll see some decent ones on ebay, but not very often.

My bag of tricks (on 2 skis) includes all the surface turns, lots of wake crossing and some pretty modest air. I feel like the time spent on tricks will make me a better barefooter and cutting loose without the fear of a 40 mph slap to the face has some appeal as well. I can get up on one, but I can't even pull off a front to back on it. I got frustrated with the one trick ski and rarely try it anymore.

I know some old timers that will tell you that good air on the tricks will lead to proper form for the traditional jump event. Outside of show skiing though, jumping is probably even more dead than tricking.

Does anybody know if you can even buy a new pair of tricks skis anymore?

I have been told by a couple of different sources in the industry that there is no one left making trick skis in pairs. Like you mentioned in your post, you have to watch Ebay and other sources for used.

We picked up a pair of new trick skis 2 years ago. They are still making new ones.

http://www.masterlineusa.com/Quantum-Skis/Trick-Skis

http://www.perfski.com/Waterskis/Trick-Skis

JSP, I agree that you can still buy a trick ski(s) but I don't think anyone is actually selling them in pairs anymore. Certainly you could buy two slalom tricks and have a pair, but certainly quite expensive. I was told this by Chuck at Lake Elmo Sports and April Coble. It's certainly possible that the information is off though.

Yeah. It looks like you'd have to have at least a grand in it before you even bought any bindings. Shocking.gif

I'm sure the modern ones are somewhat better, but dropping a couple hundred on bindings for my old ones is sounding better and better all the time.

Yeah. It looks like you'd have to have at least a grand in it before you even bought any bindings. Shocking.gif

I'm sure the modern ones are somewhat better, but dropping a couple hundred on bindings for my old ones is sounding better and better all the time.

I'm suprised that you don't like tricking on one ski more than two. Personally, I feel that you have much better control on a slalom trick. The learning curve may be a little more but once you get it, I find it easier to have both feet on one ski. Much more control. Either way, have fun.

Overton's sells skis they call Trick Skis. Is there something wrong with those?

I've seen those. For a reason I cannot explain, I get the impression that they're different from "traditional" trrick skis.

Those aren't trick skis,

They are wake ski's, I don't think surface trick on those would be very easy. It looks the combo tricks are a thing of the past. Thats too bad. Too bad I got rid of my old ski masters.

Looks like you have to wear 2 slalom tricks from now on.

Do a search, I believe I posted a pic a while ago of the skis we got for my dad for Christmas a year or two back. They were trick skis, not the "jumper skis" that overtons sells and they were only 300ish with bindings. They aren't the most high performance, but are much better then his old tricks from the 80's. I can't for the life of me remember what brand or model they are though.

I just did a search and didn't come up with any besides the Hydroslide thing. I do know some show up regularly on eBay.

It is too bad nobody makes pairs of tricks anymore.