Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sportster depth finder

walnuthill

I am installing a depth finder in my 2000 sportster, need to know the best location to mount the transducer. I have done this install on other boats but want to make sure I get the correct placement. If any sportster owners who have a depth gauge installed could locate the transducer and let me know where it is located maybe include picture.

Thanks

Edited by walnuthill
I am installing a depth finder in my 2000 sportster, need to know the best location to mount the transducer. I have done this install on other boats but want to make sure I get the correct placement. If any sportster owners who have a depth gauge installed could locate the transducer and let me know where it is located maybe include picture.

Thanks

What brand are you going with? I installed one on our new boat and it does great on lakes, but on the river we ride on the depth alarm always goes off (have it set at 3ft) because of the seaweed. It's very sensitive and there are no adjustments so it's really annoying. I pretty much just turn it off when I am on the river, but that defeats the purpose of a depth sounder :Doh:

It depends on what type of transducer you have. I installed a Uniden QT-206 Transom mount system- I figured the fewer holes in my hull the better Thumbup.gif I installed it by using a marine epoxy right up behind the bilge pump and ran the wires through the column between the passenger and driver's seat. So far is has worked out great, took about 45 minutes and I dont have another hole to worry about. Let me know if you want any further clarification, good luck!

Thats where I was thinking, by bilge pump, thanks for confirming a workable location. I have a thru hull transducer. I know the less hull material the better they work.