Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

cut diamond hull + ballast will make big enough wake without power wedge?

alinden

Hi,

Im in the market for a tow boat and i'd like to get a boat that can perform at both ends of the wake spectrum. So what i was thinking of doing is getting the wakesetter VTX with a cut diamond hull for skiing and performance, but also have the ballst that come with the boat for wakeboarding.

My question is wether just the ballast wil be enough with the cut diamond hull to make a big wake, or if I should get a power wedge as well.

Any advice would be great!

Oh and by the way, I like my wakes for wakeboarding pretty BIG!

I wouldn't buy a Malibu without the wedge, be it power or manual but power is the way to go! That is one of the main reasons I bought a Malibu, where are you going to get 600lbs + with the touch of a switch Thumbup.gif

You have to get a wedge for resale alone. When selling your boat that will be the biggest drawback you'll come across. It's your money though.
Plus1.gif

The power wedge also lets you trim out the peakiness of the wake.

I wouldn't go without the power wedge. If I had my choice between ballast or wedge, I'd definitely go with the wedge.

The ballast in my 23LSV makes the wake wider with the peaks a little higher, but the effect of the wedge is much more dramatic. The wedge gives the wake a nice high curl and sharp point. Without the wedge, I find I have to leap off the wake to get air, but with the wedge, it just sort of throws you up with no effort on your part. The result is huge air!

You have to try boarding behind the wedge to fully appreciate the difference - you can't gain as much from just watching video...

Of course, this is all IMHO. The wife tried 1/2 wedge this weekend for the first time and was a little nervous!

You have to get a wedge for resale alone. When selling your boat that will be the biggest drawback you'll come across. It's your money though.
Plus1.gif

I think part of the big attraction to Malibu is the Wedge. It helps a lot with surf & boarding wakes.

That said I don't use the Wedge myself. I got it purely for resale value. I think it makes the boat drive like a tug. And at the speeds I'm riding SkySki at, it does really weird things, porpoising, leaning to one side, etc.

We are using the wedge for surfing everyday right now! (VACATION TIME) Beer.gif

In the boat we have 3 adults and 4 small children. I have tried without the wedge and this load and we cannot get it to give you that "push" you would want. But loaded with 10 men and no wedge the wake was HUGE and very nicely shaped!

I wouldn't go without the power wedge. If I had my choice between ballast or wedge, I'd definitely go with the wedge.

The ballast in my 23LSV makes the wake wider with the peaks a little higher, but the effect of the wedge is much more dramatic. The wedge gives the wake a nice high curl and sharp point. Without the wedge, I find I have to leap off the wake to get air, but with the wedge, it just sort of throws you up with no effort on your part. The result is huge air!

You have to try boarding behind the wedge to fully appreciate the difference - you can't gain as much from just watching video...

Of course, this is all IMHO. The wife tried 1/2 wedge this weekend for the first time and was a little nervous!

Plus1.gif

You need wakeboard lessons dude.