Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

uh oh, illusion bimini mishap

srab

I was opening up my Illusion bimini Saturday morning, just before sunrise, like I've done

dozens upon dozens of times in the past. Set up the front struts, then unfolded the back

end, flipping it up and over, when I heard a disturbing clank that immediately alerted me

to something being amiss.

It took me a minute to realize that the bottom portion of one of the rear legs, the part

that telescopes into the top portion thats bolted to the frame, was missing, no doubt

at the bottom of the lake (my boat lives on a lift). The clank, I'm fairly certain, was caused

by that lower leg segment sailing over the side and hitting the frame to the boat lift before

splashdown.

Could have been worse, I suppose. Could have hit deck and dinged gelcoat, and then

hit the water.

Moral of the story is to be careful of these things slipping out. Now I've got to find a

replacement. Either that or it's SCUBA time.

If the boat was still on the lift then I would be diving for it.

Yep, I figured I'd have a pretty good chance of finding it. Only about 25 feet deep.

Visibility probably 4 feet on a good day. But, I don't keep my C-card or gear up at

the lake (I mostly dive salt water. And, this lake's pretty shallow, so there's not even

a dive shop anywhere nearby), so that wasn't an option at the time.

Surprisingly, though, my dealer quoted only $24 for the part, and he has one more in stock!

I guess I was expecting it to run much more than that.

For rental on a tank of air and a regulator (I've got everything else I need), it would run me

$22 here in San Antonio. So, while it might have been more fun to do it this way, it

wouldn't have saved me much money.

Dealer is shipping the part on Monday.

If the boat was still on the lift then I would be diving for it.

Yep, I figured I'd have a pretty good chance of finding it. Only about 25 feet deep.

Visibility probably 4 feet on a good day. But, I don't keep my C-card or gear up at

the lake (I mostly dive salt water. And, this lake's pretty shallow, so there's not even

a dive shop anywhere nearby), so that wasn't an option at the time.

Surprisingly, though, my dealer quoted only $24 for the part, and he has one more in stock!

I guess I was expecting it to run much more than that.

For rental on a tank of air and a regulator (I've got everything else I need), it would run me

$22 here in San Antonio. So, while it might have been more fun to do it this way, it

wouldn't have saved me much money.

Dealer is shipping the part on Monday.

We need to hook up. We ski Medina every weekend, along with a couple other TMC Members.

AF1

same thing happened to me last week. took the cover off to open it up and "splash",,,right into the water, and down to the bottom of the lake

Update:

Somehow, my dealer misunderstood my explanation about what happened and what

I needed to replace. The quote for $24 was just for the lower leg . . . without the

lowermost foot portion that is absolutely essential for the leg to work.

The "extra" part turned out to be another $24. So with tax and shipping, it cost me

about $60 to replace.

Should've gone the SCUBA route, and would have if he'd quoted me the total cost from

the get-go.