Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Single Fin/2 Molded vs. Quad Fin Wakeboards

jtrovato

I'm looking at getting a new board as the 08's go on sale to make room for the 09 models. I've got it narrowed down to either a LF Watson or Shane. The difference being that the Watson has a single fine with 2 molded fins, and the Shane is a quad fin setup. Can anyone tell me what the difference is when riding a quad fin setup? My current board is a CWB Pure with a single fin and 2 molded, but I always board without the single fin on there. Would you take the outside fins off of a quad fin board? Any recommendations on which to go with?

Thanks for any input.

Jay

Edited by jtrovato

Personally I would demo as much as you can. I am also pretty sure LF will have new shapes for 09 as they generally keep shapes for 3 years then buy new presses. I personally ride the Shane and have not ridden a Watson. The peeps I have talked to say that those two boards ride very differently. I am curious why you are specifically picking LF stuff?

Also I would expect to see even more flexboard tech in 09.

Unfortunately there are no places around here that demo boards or else I would love to do that. I have to just decide what I want and go with it. I am going with LF just because I know they make good boards and I like their closed toe bindings. I'm not opposed to going with another brand, just really like what LF has to offer.

It doesn't just boil down to the difference between the number of fins, as fin configuration is based on the overall riding profile of the board, and the characteristics the designer/rider were trying to achieve.

Make the decision based more on the overall riding style of the board, and how that fits your priorities. If you're shopping through Wakeside, they can do a great job of breaking down the characteristics of the board for you so you find one that matches your style, regardless of the number of fins.

Also remember that the shane is designed to be a rider, sized down board. I ride the largest board which is a 140. It rides like a 143 since it has a wider tip, tail and profile.

Aside from that IMHO if you cannot buy boards without demo-ing I would definitely bargain shop and pull the old buy and sell on ebay until you find a board you really like.

I'm looking at getting a new board as the 08's go on sale to make room for the 09 models. I've got it narrowed down to either a LF Watson or Shane. The difference being that the Watson has a single fine with 2 molded fins, and the Shane is a quad fin setup. Can anyone tell me what the difference is when riding a quad fin setup? My current board is a CWB Pure with a single fin and 2 molded, but I always board without the single fin on there. Would you take the outside fins off of a quad fin board? Any recommendations on which to go with?

Thanks for any input.

Jay

I don't think you'd need to. I ride a LF Fish and it has the 4-fin setup with the curved outside fins which I believe the Shane does too. Once you set an edge on it, it won't let go, but I have no problem busting it loose on the surface.

Ohh yah, if your basics are poor the lack of fins will help "force" you to better form. However, the trend has slowly shifted back towards having fins on the board....at least at the higher levels.

I would still recommend a demo if possible, but if I were to go with one between the Shane and the Watson, I would go with the Watson. It rides really well and gets impressive pop off of the wake.

Also remember that the shane is designed to be a rider, sized down board. I ride the largest board which is a 140. It rides like a 143 since it has a wider tip, tail and profile.

Aside from that IMHO if you cannot buy boards without demo-ing I would definitely bargain shop and pull the old buy and sell on ebay until you find a board you really like.

That's the way it appears. If you compare the geometry of the boards, the Shane is a bit wider.

Ohh yah, if your basics are poor the lack of fins will help "force" you to better form. However, the trend has slowly shifted back towards having fins on the board....at least at the higher levels.

Lyman and R. Harris both ride with fins...I am sure there are others.