Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

is there such thing as too much throttle?

wakeboard_omega

loaded the 96 ssvlx alot more then its ever had, 8 people, 440, in each v drive locker, and 400-500 in ski locker. threw the wedge down too, it took almost everything the boat had to get it to plane, and that was around 4800rpm i dunno, is this safe to do on a regular basis? and could it be damaging to really giver throttle to get it to plane? its got a 350 315hp mercruiser black scorpion engine. its a 3 blade prop would a 4 blade help it get out of the water quicker and easier? thanks alot, i just got it this year.

loaded the 96 ssvlx alot more then its ever had, 8 people, 440, in each v drive locker, and 400-500 in ski locker. threw the wedge down too, it took almost everything the boat had to get it to plane, and that was around 4800rpm i dunno, is this safe to do on a regular basis? and could it be damaging to really giver throttle to get it to plane? its got a 350 315hp mercruiser black scorpion engine. its a 3 blade prop would a 4 blade help it get out of the water quicker and easier? thanks alot, i just got it this year.

Quite a load, 4 blade should help getting out of hole a little.

AF1

Seems like flooring it everytime you take off would shorten the lifespan of any engine. Plus all that weight has to be tough on a transmission too.

4 blade will definitely help.

i'll try and look, it came with it when i bought it, the boats speed tops out at 50mph, (unweighted) which seems really fast, 44-45 would seem a bit more realistic, it might be a prop better for high end versus low end, i'll see what i can find out.

Seriously? 4800rpm to plane the boat? Thats A LOT of prop slip! I'm surprised it isn't cavitating with that kind of slippage. 50mph sounds fast for that boat/motor, is that a gps speed, or by the airguide speedos? What is your rpm at top speed?

its a OJ 596 prop 3 blade airguide speedo

Edited by wakeboard_omega

Definitely re-prop if you are going to be running a lot of weight. When you are pulling someone up you can feel a point in the throttle where no matter how much more you give it the boat does not speed and the engine will not rev higher.... IMHO that is the most throttle you should give a boat when pulling up on plane its the point of maximum throttle. For example, my boat fully weighted will take a little over half throttle, after that even if I floor it I will not get on plane any sooner, as such I dont give it any more throttle than that point where it stops pulling/revving.

You'll want to verify your top speed by calibrating with a gps or by timing through a course. Once you are armed with some data regarding your rpm/speed at different speeds, you can talk to the prop manufacturers about selecting the best prop for your application. Once you get your speedos calibrated (or just using a GPS, as the calibration on the airguides is different at each speed), go out (empty) and write down your speeds at 1K, 2K, 3K and 4k RPM, and your WOT speed and RPM. It wouldn't hurt to maybe get some loaded numbers, too- at the speeds and weights you typically use the boat.

Mom used to tell me " Nothing good ever happens after midnight" I say "Nothing good ever happens after 4k RPM". Seriously, you shouldnt ever really have to go over 4k rpms to plane out the boat. Get a 4 blade and save gas and wear on your engine.