Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How does Malibu determine length

CrazyTegger

Is the length of bu's determined from the tip of the bow to the back of the transom or tip of the bow to back of the stern???

I was thinking 1 inch at a time, but using a tape measure works too.

Bow to stern, no platform. Does that help?

bingo bango! thanks Thumbup.gif

Trying to figure out the difference in the "back of the transom" & the "back of the stern"......... Surprised.gif

Tying to figure this out myself. Remember that length doesn't count the wedge or anything else connected to the back of the boat. In addition, the trailer will add some length even if it's a "fold away" so be careful if you're trying to figure out if it will fit somewhere.

Trying to figure out the difference in the "back of the transom" & the "back of the stern"......... Surprised.gif

Tying to figure this out myself. Remember that length doesn't count the wedge or anything else connected to the back of the boat. In addition, the trailer will add some length even if it's a "fold away" so be careful if you're trying to figure out if it will fit somewhere.

transom = platform on back of boat

stern = back of the boat's hull

If the swim platform is a bracketed, removable platform, it's not counted as a part of the boat length.

Personally I thought the transom was the name of the back wall of the boat. And the stern is just the moniker for the aft of the boat just like the bow is the front, but not any particular part of the front of the boat.

But whatever.... it's splitting hairs. I think you got your answer. My Vride is like 21' 8" with the swim platform removed & the trailer tongue folded. And probably over 25' long with everything in place.

If the swim platform is a bracketed, removable platform, it's not counted as a part of the boat length.

Malibu dealer told me that both MC and Tige both include the swim platform in the length of their boats. Are they removable or fixed?

Malibu dealer told me that both MC and Tige both include the swim platform in the length of their boats. Are they removable or fixed?

Only if they have a swim platform that is actually integrated in the hull, ie; the old MC Tri-Star or Maristars. If the swim platform is removable, then it's not included in the length of the boat.

I'd be surprised if it was different for any boat manufacturer.

I'm not sure that any of the MCs or Tiges have fixed platforms any more.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Only if they have a swim platform that is actually integrated in the hull, ie; the old MC Tri-Star or Maristars. If the swim platform is removable, then it's not included in the length of the boat.

ahh, i didn't know that those manufacturers were integrated. Thanks for clearing that up Thumbup.gif

Edited by CrazyTegger

from dictionary.com:

Transom- Nautical. a flat termination to a stern, above the water line.

Stern- Nautical The rear part of a ship or boat.

the "platform on the back of the boat" = swimstep

ahh, i didn't know that those manufacturers were integrated. Thanks for clearing that up Thumbup.gif

they aren't integrated. your dealer is blowing smoke up your @$$. all tournament boats are measured without the swim step.

they aren't integrated. your dealer is blowing smoke up your @$$. all tournament boats are measured without the swim step.

ok so it's opened up again... maybe he was referring to i/o's I wasn't really paying attention when he talked about it. I coulda sworn I heard Mastercraft in the statement though

well here you go, straight from mastercraft:

<a href="http://www.mastercraft.com/boats/specification/xstar" target="_blank">http://www.mastercraft.com/boats/specification/xstar</a>

look at the "length", "length with platform", and "model name length" figures...

There we go. Thanks for the clarification

Don't believe a dealer when they talk about other brands.

Indeed. if you want information about a mastercraft, go to mastercraft. If you want to know about a malibu, go to malibu, even if the dealership has sold those boats before.