Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Speed Control acting up

Bobby Light

I was pulling someone the other day and we were on a small lake where I had to turn around alot. Everytime I'd turn and get back lined up the boat would not hold speed, it was all over the place. It would surge to 28+ or drop down to 16 or so. It would tell me to give more throttle even though I was at about 3/4. It's never acted up on me before and has always been pretty good. I know it's accurate I've checked it with a hand held GPS unit. Anyone else ever had this issue with their boat, if so what was the fix?

Never had that problem before. Did you check your paddlewheel to see that it spins freely? If there is a bind somewhere in how it spins or maybe something stuck in there, then I would imagine that that could cause all kinds of difficulties. I'd also check to be sure that the connections to the paddlewheel look good & that it can send a good signal. Those would be the first things that I'd check.

Never had that problem before. Did you check your paddlewheel to see that it spins freely? If there is a bind somewhere in how it spins or maybe something stuck in there, then I would imagine that that could cause all kinds of difficulties. I'd also check to be sure that the connections to the paddlewheel look good & that it can send a good signal. Those would be the first things that I'd check.

Ya I don't think that's the problem I just checked all that when I changed the oil the other day. I was under the boat putting on the fake a lake and always check everything out while I'm under there. When I was laying in the rear storage locker I always check everything else out.

I don't know how your boat is set up but I've seen that happen on boats with Perfect Pass. The problem was there was some slack in the string under the black knob. Tighten up that string and it went away.

were you heavily weighted that day? I actually have perfect pass and had to adjust my perfect pass settings so that it wouldn't surge like that. I can't remember the setting that I changed, but it's probably going to be different on your Malibu cruise control versus perfect pass.

Also, Ronnie is correct. Sometimes people start up the boat and put it in gear immediately. and this will create slack in the throttle line (sort of) because it's not done going thru it's test to tighten the cable for 5 seconds. Still not sure if that's the way Cruise control works, but I would call your local dealer and ask them how to adjust the settings.

Edited by hawaiianstyln
I don't know how your boat is set up but I've seen that happen on boats with Perfect Pass. The problem was there was some slack in the string under the black knob. Tighten up that string and it went away.

I second this.

I'm guessing here... but I think if the "set" speed is say around 20mph or so, and the boat goes from idle to wide open throttle, the

boat speeds up, the speed control tries to take over, however since the throttle was maxed out, the speed control tries to let

off more throttle than it has. Thus it becomes un-wound, and then doesn't operate properly after that.

Again, just a guess.

The key would be to drive normally as if no speed control is there, ex:

Driver guns out throttle to pull up skier/boader, then eases back on throttle to the speed of choice. Speed control

takes over after that.

Probably wouldn't be an issue if your boat is Drive by Wire.