Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fold your tower?

Malibusteve

Fold your tower?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Respond here about your tower utilization

• I fold my tower every time I use my boat
    • I occasionally fold my tower during winter layup or other long periods of non-use
    • I never fold my tower

Just curious as to how often you guys pull the pins and how you deal with the tower in the down position. I have the Illusion X tower and fold almost every time I use the boat as it will not fit under my storage shed in the upright position. When stored, I don't however let the tower rest on the dash. I have a short looped rope hanging fom a rafter in the shed that I loop around the tow ball that holds the tower up off of the dash. This allows me to use my cover even with the tower folded. Also, wondering if you guys do the lowering/raising job by yourselves. I do though the tower is a bit heavy.

Edited by Malibusteve

We've got a Tuna Tower. I folded it once but never again. Its easier to lift it off than it is to fold it. Plus we've got 16 x 30 doors now so it really doesn't matter.

I have Titan II and I fold it to get it in/out of the garage. I keep it up in the garage. That was the main reason I got the Titan. It is so easy to fold by myself. I tried an original illusion before they had springs it was a PITA. I'd need help and sometimes thats not an option.

Pat

Ours is garaged all the time, so when we back it in the tower has to be down. I wish we have a really tall garage or shop, maybe when we move out to TX we'll have what we want Thumbup.gif

I have a Roswell tower it folds down super easy and goes up the same. Boats in the garage most of the time. I put it down to pass the eight foot door and put it back up in the garage.

Just curious as to how often you guys pull the pins and how you deal with the tower in the down position. I have the Illusion X tower and fold almost every time I use the boat as it will not fit under my storage shed in the upright position. When stored, I don't however let the tower rest on the dash. I have a short looped rope hanging fom a rafter in the shed that I loop around the tow ball that holds the tower up off of the dash. This allows me to use my cover even with the tower folded. Also, wondering if you guys do the lowering/raising job by yourselves. I do though the tower is a bit heavy.

I have to lower my tower to get it under my carport, but once under I can raise it back up. While trailering at night per bugs and to get in and out of carport I rest tower on a peace of 2" armaflex insulation I lay on dash It works good. You can also cut and notch a two by four then glue some carpet in the crease. I wouldn't recommend storing with tower resting on the dash as you have already figured out. MY tower Is loaded down with speakers, lights, and board racks and is kinda heavy. I do lower by myself holding up with one hand and stretching to remove the pins, but It's allot easier with help.

Boats in the water all summer, when its out the tower stays on and is folded down, not for any specific reason as it goes to my gfs dad work, where they have 12x12 doors. Handy!

I fold my illusion every time we go out as it's always stored in the garage. It takes me 2 seconds to put it up and down, lift with left arm insert pin with right hand. I store it over the winter at my mom's farm which is a 50 X 60 heated shop with a 16 foot door, no need to fold for that baby Thumbup.gif

Up until last year I had to fold the tower every time I put it into its Costco shelter. After we moved and I could put the boat in its new home, I haven't had to fold the tower. Yahoo.gif

Up until last year I had to fold the tower every time I put it into its Costco shelter. After we moved and I could put the boat in its new home, I haven't had to fold the tower. Yahoo.gif

My dream!!

Edited by vlxjeff

I have a 9' x 12' door that's too short for the tower by about 1" or less. I've actually squeezed it in one time and the tow ball scraped the header and pushed on the tower a little bit. Just asking for trouble doing this, so i vowed to never to do it again.

Just takes me a few seconds for each pin. Quicker doing it on my own, rather than having my wife give it her best with the pins; i've got pretty good reach though. I rest the tower on a 2x6 that sits on a throw cushion on the floor, hate to dent the carpet.

The poll is interesting, over 50% almost 60% are putting it up and down every time.

Swoop tower here. Upper section gets taken completely off every time so that I can get the boat in the garage. Even then, I have to fold the mirror down to not hit anything.

Titan III does not match well with the new windshield on the 08's....So actually take off the front section and then rest the rear section with speakers and lites, etc on the rear seat support....Plan is to make a PVC support for that section....Put front section inside boat and rest on rear sun deck....Bottom line PITA...can do with 2 people, but better and faster with 3....Oh for a big garage!!!!!!

We got tired of taking the tower off to get the boat in the garage so we just started leaving the boat out for the summer. Pretty soon we are going to have to put it in the garage after ever use and that's not going to be much fun.

Old house had to pull the POS Swoop off every time to get in the garage, then I started taking advantage of friends/family with RV parking here and there. I finally moved and got a 8' garage door (Goes in folded)AND covered RV parking Yahoo.gif

Let me add one more time that the Swoop is a POS!!! I should have listened to my Dealer :Doh:

So what makes it a POS?

Short, noisy, less flexible for mounting points for lights, racks & speakers.

I don't care for them either but don't usually say anything because so many people in this forum like them.