Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

vlx monsoon engine issue (safe mode)

I took a group out this afternoon and we rode for a bit then tried some surfing.

Towards the end of the afternoon the engine quit reving. I figured it was hot from the surfing and was in safe mode.

It would run fine for a few minutes after it cooled. But again we were only doing 10mph.

At the end of the day we spent a few minutes draining the sacks and MLS moving boards and ropes etc.

Cruising back to the ramp and I notice the boat was still running in safe mode. I also notice the temp gauge was stuck on 160.

I have not checked anything but I am thinking maybe its the temp sending unit.

Does this sound right to anyone or is it probably something else?

Thanks

Chris

Yes I do have perfect pass but this problem was with PP off.

The impeller is new. I am curious what could cause the temp gauge to stick at 160 (when the key is on) and also send the engine into safe mode.

I am not ruling out that the engine is overheating but since the problem was still there after plenty of time to cool off I am not sure.

I checked the impeller it is still soft and there are not any pieces of rubber broken off.

I also noticed the temp gauge is reading zero now. That is with the key on but the engine off.

It also looks like the oil level is a little low. Is there an oil level sensor that would put the engine is safe mode?

I don't have a fake a lake so I guess I'll have to run her to the lake tomorrow and do some testing.

Edited by 151

The oil pressure has always acted a little weird. Under normal running conditions its up around 75. Then when shut off to circle back for a rider or something like that it drops to 2-3 lbs. The warning flashes and beeps but then the pressure climbs back up.

I have never had it go into safe mode though and this last time out when I had the safe mode problem I didnt notice anything wrong with the oil pressure.

any ideas?

If the oil pressure drops to a certian level I am pretty sure it will shut the motor down on power.

yeah but you are going to get a warning buzzer also.

No that is one of the things making it hard to figure out. There is no warning buzzer going off. The engine just will not rev past about 2k or so I atually didnt look at the tach.