Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion XS Tower

dgaustin

Anyone get a letter from Malibu and Metcraft concerning their Illusion XS tower? I received one via regular mail today.

First Issue: is with the bushings that mount the tower to the base. These bushings were possibly installed incorrectly, which in turn, you might have noticed it causes a slight looseness in the fit or rattle of the tower.

Second Issue: is with the swivel rack mounting bolts. There have been a few instances where the bolts have completely backed out and the rack has fallen off the tower. This can possibly cause bodily harm.

The letter requests that I immediately contact my dealer to make arrangements for bushing and board rack bolt replacements.

I have had issues with the tower pins coming loose and even the large screw/bolt falling out. My tower has had a loud squeaking sound when underway since I took delivery. Bad timing for me in that I just picked up the 23 LSV from my dealer where it had been for 2 weeks getting other various problems fixed. So it appears that I'll have to make a return visit.

Anyone get a letter from Malibu and Metcraft concerning their Illusion XS tower? I received one via regular mail today.

First Issue: is with the bushings that mount the tower to the base. These bushings were possibly installed incorrectly, which in turn, you might have noticed it causes a slight looseness in the fit or rattle of the tower.

Second Issue: is with the swivel rack mounting bolts. There have been a few instances where the bolts have completely backed out and the rack has fallen off the tower. This can possibly cause bodily harm.

The letter requests that I immediately contact my dealer to make arrangements for bushing and board rack bolt replacements.

I have had issues with the tower pins coming loose and even the large screw/bolt falling out. My tower has had a loud squeaking sound when underway since I took delivery. Bad timing for me in that I just picked up the 23 LSV from my dealer where it had been for 2 weeks getting other various problems fixed. So it appears that I'll have to make a return visit.

Yep, Got a notice on Saturday that I missed a Certified Mail delivery. Picked it up today, and it said the same thing...

I loc-tite'd the crap out of my 2 bolts, and 1 is still working itself out slowly, so I will get it there ASAP.... (After calling ahead to make sure they got the right parts!)

Great...I have the exact same issues and was wondering what the letter from Malibu would be about...

I'll try and get the dealer to just mail the things to me, since I just returned from driving 3 hrs to get the Power Wedge fixed...

Yep, Got a notice on Saturday that I missed a Certified Mail delivery. Picked it up today, and it said the same thing...

I loc-tite'd the crap out of my 2 bolts, and 1 is still working itself out slowly, so I will get it there ASAP.... (After calling ahead to make sure they got the right parts!)

Add me to the list. I've been asking all summer why the bolts keep backing out and the tower rattles at times. Like others we've used gallons of loctite to no avail. Unfortunately mine just got back from the shop.

Do you think this is something that can wait until the end of the season as long as we watch the screws carefully?

Thanks for the help.

I just spoke to one of the reps at my dealership. They're going to just mail me the bolts and bushings for me to install, since the dealership is 3hrs away. I think it'll be as bobo as changing the throttle was, so no need to waste my time driving all that way.

I don't think I'd leave it til the end of the season. They should be pretty easy to replace. No idea what kind of stresses the loose bolts force on the attachments, but it's probably not smart to leave it too long. Plus the constant squeaking and rattling is annoying...

Another issue like this after the throttle fiasco is a drag, but inevitable I guess with a new boat. Still love the thing and wouldn't trade it for anything else!

Add me to the list. I've been asking all summer why the bolts keep backing out and the tower rattles at times. Like others we've used gallons of loctite to no avail. Unfortunately mine just got back from the shop.

Do you think this is something that can wait until the end of the season as long as we watch the screws carefully?

Thanks for the help.