Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

new wakeboard

dkthorn

Hey Crew,

My son is 12 and just learned to wakeboard this past weekend on a borrowed Hyperlite (Hyperlite State wakboard 140 - Men's size 140).

With his paper route and saving all his money this summer, he's ready to buy his own. Any of you have a recomendation for a new board? I'd like to skip the entry level boards and go into something a little more intermediate.

Of course I've tried several times to get him to slalom and no chance. I told him I'm not trading my RLXi for a new Wakesetter. Rockon.gif

I know you said new board, but if you are going for intermediate (not to mention that your son is probably going to grow FAST now that he is 12), maybe don't rule out a used board. I've bought 3-4 of both used and new, and used rides just as good as new as long as it's not trashed. Might save you a couple benjamin's to boot! JMHO

Edited by gjsmith73
Hey Crew,

My son is 12 and just learned to wakeboard this past weekend on a borrowed Hyperlite (Hyperlite State wakboard 140 - Men's size 140).

With his paper route and saving all his money this summer, he's ready to buy his own. Any of you have a recomendation for a new board? I'd like to skip the entry level boards and go into something a little more intermediate.

Of course I've tried several times to get him to slalom and no chance. I told him I'm not trading my RLXi for a new Wakesetter. Rockon.gif

you might want to try

http://www.evogear.com/default.aspx

I was looking for a used one, and couldn't find one.

The NEW 2007 ( old stock ) prices are almost like buying used.

Just my 2c.

BB

My first board was a hyperlite motive 144. I really like the board, but just wanted something a lil more advanced and quicker... So last week I purchased the 08 cwb transcend platnum with the closed toe bindings...I went all out because I told myself that I wasn't going to buy another board for another couple of years and that I should just buy something that was going to last me for awhile....You get what you pay........Just remember, pretty much all the boards were pro models at one time or another... I know my motive was a pro model back in the 2001-2003 years....

If you are interested in cwb e-mail me and I can get you some prices... I got the connection....

Kevin

[email protected]

I'll +1 the motive. Been a great board for me and other beginners. Just make sure to get a decent set of bindings. I don't know about you guys, but good/bad bindings can make a great day, turn into a bad one. Get something that's snug and holds your feet in very well. Some prefer the skiboot feel, others want more play. I personally like the skiboot feel. You can cut harder, and not feel like you're going to pop out.

Downsides: getting in and out is much harder. If you have a rider that's got a larger foot, you won't be able to get their foot in, and if you do, good luck trying to get it out. Personal experience on that one.

I'm 5"11 230 lbs and I ride a 140. I think it's time for a bigger board... or to lose some weight, probably both

Edited by CrazyTegger

Hey dkthorn

Check out grizzley Sports. Talk to Mike he's a great guy!

http://www.grizzly-sports.com/store.php?ca...ards&sale=y

SMOKIN' PRICING on last years merchandise and/or blems (great for kids to learn), amazing customer service. Bought an HL Eden 125 board for my kids (boy 6 girl 9) to share. Supposedly intermediate gals board so softer flex for smaller boy. It's a little big but they'll grow into it by next yearish. Same issue, I wanted an Intermediate board for them to grow into. Got a new '07 with new '06 bindings (needed get different size than was originally offered in package) non-blem. Wont say the price but I promise no one will come close. Most importantly, kids love it and are using it. They are happy on the dark side but enjoy skiing too, I encourage both. They're happy, I'm happy.

Forget everything about beginner or intermediate boards. Kids tend to learn fast

I'll +1 for buying used - at least the board. My first board was a 2003 Hyperlite Premier 141 (Danny Harf pro model) and i still use it regulary. It is easy to ride, yet fast and has good pop off the wake. I don't ride obstacles and it still looks and rides like new. I tried a lot of different boards, but found none which gave the same kind of "skate"-feeling like the premier does. One thing i would never buy used, is a pair of bindings. Look at last years top models and get somthing really good. It makes a huge difference.

Boardersbestbuy.com is always woth a look. I just baught a pair of 2007 Liquid Force Transit bindings for ¢119,-.