Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pink Spots

Any body have any pink spots on their white vinyl? I have about a half a dozen little pink spots that seem to be 'growing' on my boat. I cant get them out. They appear to be coming from the inside-out. Anbody have a similar issue?

Wasn't there an issue a while back with pink spots that were caused by magic marker writing on the back of the vinyl that started coming through after time?

You sure that you don't have someone with a red bathing suit on and the red started to bleed. That is what happened in my boat I know it was the the bathing suit cause it was where ever the person sat. It was very very difficult to get the pink out I tried about everything and there still was a pink tint on the seat I think after a few sunny days with the boat cover off It finally faded the rest out and isn't noticeable anymore. I will try and find the name of the cleaner that I borrowed from a freiend that really seemed to work. HTH

It is a mildew that colors the vinyl pink.

No cleaner will get them off so don't even try.

You can have a vinyl guy spray those areas with new dye or get new skins.

It won't be covered under warranty either, but you could try.

-Chris

Any body have any pink spots on their white vinyl? I have about a half a dozen little pink spots that seem to be 'growing' on my boat. I cant get them out. They appear to be coming from the inside-out. Anbody have a similar issue?

While in college i worked cleaning carpets for cash. After we cleaned some, pink spots would turn up. Turns out if someone uses acne medication with benzyol peroxide and then transfers it to the carpet, then the carpet gets warm and wet, like from a steam cleaner it would show up as pink spots. Usually in the shape of a hand. Only way to take care of it is to redye the carpet.... So got any teens in the boat?

Pink spots is mildews bi-product or roots growing in the vinyl, it's really weird how it turns pink but i see it every single spring where somebody stored their boat really wet and after you clean the vinyl you have pink spots. It's really important that when you have mildew on the vinyl, you need to kill the mildew with a mildew cleaner before you just wipe the surface down. Its better to leave it un-touched than to just wipe it off. The only way to get rid of the pink spots is to have the vinyl re-dyed or replaced, it's not something that is warrant-able through Malibu.

Wake boards are a big culprit too, the dyes can bleed through the board and onto the vinyl, usually leaving blue spots. Those will eventually bleach out with the UV after a few weeks.

Edited by Bakes Board & Ski

Someone once told me to use diluted bleach to get mildew off vinyl. I tried it. It didn't work and screwed up my vinyl. Cry.gif The good news was at the time I owned a Sea Ray. Biggrin.gif No way would I ever try that with my Bu.

FYI -

This is an excerpt from a competitors website regarding upholstery stains.....pink, in particular.

_____

In some instances, consumers have reported the appearance of a pink stain on vinyl that is resistant to various cleaning methods. Our lab tests indicate that the pink stain has been present in the past, but it becomes more visible to the naked eye whenever the whitest-white vinyls are used. This is true regardless of manufacturer or vendor. Brand X has chosen a white that reduces the appearance of the pink stain but retains as much of the lightest white we can use. Although there can be other causes for pink staining in vinyls, most pink stains are caused by dyes produced by micro-organisms. These dyes are metabolic products of the micro-organisms, otherwise known as a form of fungi. It is virtually impossible for consumers to avoid these micro-organisms as they exist in the atmosphere. It is also more prevalent in high-humidity areas. Rain can cleanse the air with the result that the micro-organisms are deposited on items such as marine vinyl. While the vinyl is treated to resist the growth of micro-organisms meaning the vinyl is not a food source), the stain results from failure to properly clean and maintain the vinyl. This means that after use, the upholstery must be cleaned with a soft brush and warm soapy water, followed by a thorough rinse with clean water. If this procedure is not followed, the micro-organisms can find the marine vinyl to be a suitable host site. This situation is worsened if the boat is stored without proper ventilation or if the boat cover is put on while the vinyl is still wet, creating a situation in which all forms of fungi (mold and mildew) thrive. The organism causing the pink stain has been identified by the Burlington Scientific Corporation as Streptoverticillium reticulum, although there are other strains of organisms that can cause stains. Failure to follow these instructions in the proper care of upholstery can cause your warranty to be voided! The cleaning table presented in this frequently asked question section is offered only as a suggestion and as an aid in attempting to deal with stains. We cannot guarantee that the cleaning methods will work. Stains from any external source are unlikely to be covered by warranty.

Yes! I was having a huge problem with my boat being wet! the stupid cover that they gave me with the boat had huge openings next to the tower. So everytime it would rain it would pour water into my boat. Needless to say a couple times i would uncover it and the carpet would have little spores growing! NOT HAPPY!!! I ended up fixing the cover myself but that still doesnt help the pink spots that have started to appear!

Yes! I was having a huge problem with my boat being wet! the stupid cover that they gave me with the boat had huge openings next to the tower. So everytime it would rain it would pour water into my boat. Needless to say a couple times i would uncover it and the carpet would have little spores growing! NOT HAPPY!!! I ended up fixing the cover myself but that still doesnt help the pink spots that have started to appear!

what did you do to the cover? I assume you have the illusion tower???

i took it to a canvas shop and had them put some extensions about 10" high to wrap around the tower. I went to Skier's pier and noticed that the new covers come like this now. So they had to know it was a problem.

What is a good fungicide to use that won't damage the vinyl? I have 2 bright pink spots on my pontoon boat seats and a light pink cast all over the top of my engine cover. All appeared suddenly and with no explaination. I may not be able to remove the stains but I need to stop the growth. Thanks!

Edited by Boatman

No need for any harsh chemicals. Magic Eraser works for everything; dock scuffs seats, fiberglass, plastic walkway scuffs, everything. I buy them by the case. Sams club has a plastic bin of 10 for like $6.88. I buy 3 or 4 of those at a time. I love the eraser challenge. The kids get a rag and any cleaner they choose. I get only the magic eraser and water. (Ring it out until it is barely damp for best performance). Magic eraser wins every time. It even takes paint scuffs off my truck bumpers. ( I have 4 teenagers). When I go to the supersonic car wash, I love to set up the guys by pointing to spots and saying..."cant you get that off?" They try every thing in there magic potion spot remover kit and when they have failed, I use the Magic Eraser with like three swipes and it is gone and I say "never mind...I got it." But follow up with the 303 Fabric Protectant.

OK, so I was talking to a Ford engineer and he was telling me that they had the same type of issue on some of their vinyls and it was due to the coloring of the foam behind the vinyl. I would say if this is the case someone else has to be having this problem. I know I am not the only one, my friend has an 04 wakesetter with the same issue, so i guess i would like to know how many of you have pink spots in your boat.

BTW, I take meticulous care of my boat and I still have them, that is why I am so passionate about this problem.

Mildew? Any chance things have been wet, and not drying well?

Plus1.gifWhistling.gif

Plus1.gifPlus1.gif Sounds very much like a microorganism issue. There are quite a few yeasts that also produce a pink pigment. You absolutely need to make sure that the inside of the boat is completely dry. I would get a fan in their right away. This is going to be an ongoing problem for you. The bugs do need moisture to grow. However, once it is dry, the dormant form of the microorganism (yeast or mold spores) can survive for very long times. They just hang out, waiting for water and nutrients. So, you probably have a "house keeping" problem and need to make sure you pay extra attention to drying out after each use....you likely wont be able to eliminate the spores.

Good luck

Mildew? Any chance things have been wet, and not drying well?

Plus1.gifWhistling.gif

Plus1.gifPlus1.gif Sounds very much like a microorganism issue. There are quite a few yeasts that also produce a pink pigment. You absolutely need to make sure that the inside of the boat is completely dry. I would get a fan in their right away. This is going to be an ongoing problem for you. The bugs do need moisture to grow. However, once it is dry, the dormant form of the microorganism (yeast or mold spores) can survive for very long times. They just hang out, waiting for water and nutrients. So, you probably have a "house keeping" problem and need to make sure you pay extra attention to drying out after each use....you likely wont be able to eliminate the spores.

Good luck

I was having a problem keeping water out of my boat because of the way the cover fit around the tower but have since had that problem fixed. I try my best to keep the boat dry and I wipe it down after every use, but how do you dry your carpet after use. It almost always has some moisture in it after 4 or 5 guys get done wakeboarding. do you always keep a fan out near the dock?

• 1 year later...

my friends 05 sunscape is doing the same thing and they just use the boat to cruise they do not ski or swim off the boat i was told it was bad glue bleading thru.

• 3 years later...

My Experience with Malibu went like this.

Mr. xxxxxxxx,

Malibu would be happy to evaluate your uph issue. This would have to be done through one of our dealers. Please take your boat to the closets dealer so they can take pictures. The pictures will be evaluated by management and a decision will be made.

Thank you,

xxxxxxxxxxxx

warranty / customer service

After the pictures were sent in of my brownish /red seats..........

Mr. xxxxxxx ,

We show you to be the second owner of this boat. According to our warranty policy the warranty does not apply to the second owner if not transferred while in the original warranty period. After management review Malibu cannot offer any assistance with this request.

Thank you,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

warranty / customer service