Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hit bottom in my new '08 23 LSV and have prop questions

While surfing this weekend, we hit bottom and bent the edges of my prop. Fortunately there was no other apparent damage and it was the last day of a long weekend.

Questions:

1) I assume changing the prop is something i can do with the proper tools. Is it hard? it looks like I'll need a prop puller...any other tools or tips? (do i need a rubber mallet?). I've never done it.

2) I guess i need to buy a new prop. Do I go with the stock replacement which appears to be brass or Nibral? How much should I expect to pay for the prop and the puller and anything else reccommended.

3) The prop is bent on two blades about 3/8" back from the original edge and the other blades are dull. Can my orig. prop be reworked you think?

4) Where do i buy a new prop? Dealer?

As a new boat owner...i'm learning a lot about boat ownership....

Thanks for the help.

1) Hard? No -- Puller? Yes -- Mallet? It helps sometimes

2) Its Nibral. Prop and puller over $600 (depends on the prop you buy)

3) It should be

4) You can wait for the group buy early next year or check with the dealer, he may give you a discount.

While surfing this weekend, we hit bottom and bent the edges of my prop. Fortunately there was no other apparent damage and it was the last day of a long weekend.

Questions:

1) I assume changing the prop is something i can do with the proper tools. Is it hard? it looks like I'll need a prop puller...any other tools or tips? (do i need a rubber mallet?). I've never done it.

2) I guess i need to buy a new prop. Do I go with the stock replacement which appears to be brass or Nibral? How much should I expect to pay for the prop and the puller and anything else reccommended.

3) The prop is bent on two blades about 3/8" back from the original edge and the other blades are dull. Can my orig. prop be reworked you think?

Thanks for the help.

Your prop can be fixed, but make sure its a repudable shope as the tolerances are a lot tighter on an inboard than an outboard or sterndrive. If it were me I would just send it back to ACME or OJ for a rework.

Most people have a spare, to minimize downtime. If you are happy with the prop, you could just buy the same one, but maybe if your really into wakesurfing, you want a lower pitch, if you were more all around and skiied some you would want a higher pitch.

If you search on the posting about prop selection you will find a ton of information. Make sure you listen to the other LSV owners, as us direct drive guys won't be much help.

I'm sure they will chime in shortly.

Stores:

Skier to Skier

skidim.com

I think D-Goose has a similiar boat and I know could probably give you some advice.

And here is a post about changing your prop, Its really quite easy with the right tools.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....;hl=prop+puller

Edited by bretski75

Agg94, where are you located. There are many dependable prop shops around the country that do that rework. We use one in Dallas. I just ship it to them and they ship it back with a quick turn around.

Questions:

Thanks for the help.

I dinged my first prop this weekend too and I also changed my first prop. My boat shop sold me a puller and I ordered another prop when I bought the boat.

FYI: My mechanic warned me over and over to keep my fingers away from the puller/prop shaft when tightening the puller because when that prop "pops" it can really smash your fingers.

I can't help you on prop choice because I'm trying to figure out if I want to change to a lower pitch or not.

Good luck

Questions:

Not hard and just follow the link above. http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....;hl=prop+puller

Replacing the prop with a lower pitch is all up to you. Are you happy with the hole shot the OEM Prop? If your wanting to change we are going to need some info on your boat and location. What motor, prop, ballast you run, how do you use your boat (IE wakeboarding, surfing, sking ect) where do you live and the elevation.

A spare is nice to have and I would put it in a weekend saver with the puller. This way you can take it with you on trips and keep the spare safe from being damaged.

Prop can be fixed from what you have mentioned. What area are you in. Many crew members can help you with a local guy or we can send you info to some one we trust.

If you need a prop now, call your local Dealer and see what they can do for you, Propellers on line, Skier to skier are all great places to look. If you can wait tell spring for a Group buy discount then do that. This is for paid members, FYI.

congrats on the new boat and the Crew is always willing to help out with any problem you have.

Thanks for the help.

Thank you for the tips. I picked up a new prop from my dealer and he let me borrow his prop puller. 3 different guys warned me at different times to back the prop nut off but leave there on the last couple of threads because the prop will come flying off pretty hard.

To answer the questions above, I'm in Houston.

Thanks,

Chad