Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Son of a .... !

You gotta love Seafair up here in Seattle - 125,000 mostly drunk idiots out on Lake Washington to watch the Hydro races and Blue Angels. So many boats you could practically walk across the lake. I got lucky and happened to have one such idiot on my boat this year - a friend of a friend. I nose up towards some friends on a pontoon boat to talk briefly about where we're headed and we're bouncing up and down in the chop. I'm ready to throw it in reverse if we start getting too close when the idiot reaches out, grabs onto the pontoon boat and pulls me in. Before I could react we bounce up and the nose comes down right onto the side of the pontoon boat with a sound that made me sick.

I have one of the Spectrum Color gel coat kits which I haven't used yet but believe it is more for repairs to the gel coat, not to completely patch a piece that's missing. Any ideas as to the best way to have this repaired? Is this a do-it-yourself sort of thing or not? Thanks.

BoatDamage001.jpg

Let me guess...the friend of a friend isn't familiar with boats or the water for that matter....though it was an innocent mistake he shot you a look like "what's the big deal?" it was just a little bump, right...drank your beer....used your gas and then..........................................................didnt even offer to pay for your repair.....usually those idiots are on jet skis (borrowed of course from a buddy)

Sorry about your trouble. that would be beyond a DIY for me. Good luck with it. Tell me the pontoon was a Suntracker Party Barge...that will make the story complete.

That's one I would take to a glass shop and let them repair it. If you wanted to wait until the winter to get the repair done, you could use some Marine Tex as an effective, though ugly, temporary repair.

Our boat needs a some gel repair (I dropped a propane tank on the top deck) and when I called to get a small dime sized chip repaired they quoted me 250-300 bucks. I sealed it and then bought some grip tape. The thing that sucks is I still know it's there Cry.gif Be prepared to spend some serious $$$ to get that fixed right!

Our boat needs a some gel repair (I dropped a propane tank on the top deck) and when I called to get a small dime sized chip repaired they quoted me 250-300 bucks. I sealed it and then bought some grip tape. The thing that sucks is I still know it's there Cry.gif Be prepared to spend some serious $$$ to get that fixed right!

Ouch, mistakes like that are hard to take on a new boat.

What made it worse is that it was completely preventable. When we packed up from camping at Shasta in June they packed the propane tank in a sleeping bag and I said it should go in a plastic tub. They said it was fine in the bag, I repeated myself. When I was at home unloading and cleaning the boat I got to the propane tank, I picked up the sleeping bag and carefully lifted it up to lower it out of the boat (since I had no one to hand it to and I couldn't easily climb out of the boat cause it was packed full of our other crap) right as I got the tank above the edge of the boat the zipper gave way and down she went. Their neighbor was staring at me as I dropped one F bomb after the other for about a minute Whistling.gif

That looks more like the one I fixed on my boat vs the scratch that 2thdoc mentioned in his recent thread. Although mine was on a flat part of the hull and not curved. That will take more time to get perfect, and matching the blue exactly will be difficult as a DIY. It is possible, but if this is your rookie experience doing a gel repair, I would suggest passing it to a pro. You'll want to practice/learn on small stuff before tackling that. Also, that should'nt keep you from using your boat, but you'll want to make sure it has plenty of time to dry out before doing the repair..

What made it worse is that it was completely preventable. When we packed up from camping at Shasta in June they packed the propane tank in a sleeping bag and I said it should go in a plastic tub. They said it was fine in the bag, I repeated myself. When I was at home unloading and cleaning the boat I got to the propane tank, I picked up the sleeping bag and carefully lifted it up to lower it out of the boat (since I had no one to hand it to and I couldn't easily climb out of the boat cause it was packed full of our other crap) right as I got the tank above the edge of the boat the zipper gave way and down she went. Their neighbor was staring at me as I dropped one F bomb after the other for about a minute Whistling.gif

If I was your parents you'd be 86'd off the boat for the rest of the summer. Bet you don't have to pay for it either...

This is definitely a job for a pro, you may even have to use your insurance on this one. I had damage like that on one of my boats and the repair was about $950.00, that is here in Calif. and during the summer so maybe you could wait until things slow down before you take it in.

Just a thought, you could throw a little blue paint to fill in the carbon fiber look until the season is over and then take it in.

Good Luck

Call Malibu and get the gelcoat manufacturer and color code. Then order a quart of the gelcoat yourself at around $65. Then take the gelcoat to a gelcoat guy and he will fix it for about $100, if you're cheap like me.

This is definitely a job for a pro, you may even have to use your insurance on this one. I had damage like that on one of my boats and the repair was about $950.00, that is here in Calif. and during the summer so maybe you could wait until things slow down before you take it in.

Just a thought, you could throw a little blue paint to fill in the carbon fiber look until the season is over and then take it in.

Good Luck

Call Malibu and get the gelcoat manufacturer and color code. Then order a quart of the gelcoat yourself at around $65. Then take the gelcoat to a gelcoat guy and he will fix it for about $100, if you're cheap like me.

Good Luck

Just to playing devils advocate, I don't think that could be fixed in an hour. Most shop rates are around $85-105 per hour and when it's summer they have plenty of jobs to make that last all day long. I would estimate that that repair would at least take 4-6 hours min. you just can't fill the damage, there is prep work that has to be done before you apply the gel coat. To fix that right it would be much more surface area that gets worked on than that little section with damage. Plus you would have to replace part of the rub rail and rubber bumper. If you want it done right, if not anyone can just fill it and sand it down and do some polish, just depends on how good you want it to look when you are all said and done Dontknow.gif

Let me guess...the friend of a friend isn't familiar with boats or the water for that matter....though it was an innocent mistake he shot you a look like "what's the big deal?" it was just a little bump, right...drank your beer....used your gas and then..........................................................didnt even offer to pay for your repair.....usually those idiots are on jet skis (borrowed of course from a buddy)

Sorry about your trouble. that would be beyond a DIY for me. Good luck with it. Tell me the pontoon was a Suntracker Party Barge...that will make the story complete.

It was not entirely his friends fault. When maneuvering close to another boat or the dock, the sop would be to inform those in the boat of what you are going to do and what role they play in ensuring the procedure is done safely.

I just had one fixed like this and it was $100. I found the gelcoat myself.

Good Luck

Just to playing devils advocate, I don't think that could be fixed in an hour. Most shop rates are around $85-105 per hour and when it's summer they have plenty of jobs to make that last all day long. I would estimate that that repair would at least take 4-6 hours min. you just can't fill the damage, there is prep work that has to be done before you apply the gel coat. To fix that right it would be much more surface area that gets worked on than that little section with damage. Plus you would have to replace part of the rub rail and rubber bumper. If you want it done right, if not anyone can just fill it and sand it down and do some polish, just depends on how good you want it to look when you are all said and done Dontknow.gif