Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vinyl discoloration/yellowing

Anyone had problems with this? The discoloration is limited to these 2 panels on the engine hatch.

I thought there was a bad batch or glue or something that was making it discolor from under the vinyl. Shoot those pics to your dealer and see if you can get it warrantied. The rest of the vinyl looks good so I doubt you will have to much problem.

I shot the pics off to Cope's on Tues. and they were sending on to Malibu. No word yet.

I had noticed a slight yellowing months ago and then all of a sudden the yellowing became brown.

I have a 2004 23 LSV second hand owner, and mine is doing the same thing. Let me know what they do with yours I would like to talk with Malibu myself to see what is up I thought initially that it was caused by the previous owner keeping it outiside coverd for a couple of months. The rest of my vinyl is a little off white as well so I am afraid to only replace a few skins.

Edited by jagger
I shot the pics off to Cope's on Tues. and they were sending on to Malibu. No word yet.

I had noticed a slight yellowing months ago and then all of a sudden the yellowing became brown.

Marcus, we had some sun tan location that did the same thing on our last boat. I couldn't figure it until I actually left a little bit on another piece of vinyl and left it in the sun. It stained it but it wasn't as dark as what you have now, check all your locations in the boat and see what the bottles say. I finally had to bleach it out, but the stain never full was removed.

Good Luck :)

I have the same thing happening on the trailing edge of the trunk covers of my '05 Response lxi. The boat is always covered when not in use and no suntan products are ever used in this area. It started out yellow-ish and has darkened and seems to be spreading. I had even treat it with 303 as recommended.

I'm very interested in the response from Malibu and the dealer.

I have the same thing happening on the trailing edge of the trunk covers of my '05 Response lxi. The boat is always covered when not in use and no suntan products are ever used in this area. It started out yellow-ish and has darkened and seems to be spreading. I had even treat it with 303 as recommended.

I'm very interested in the response from Malibu and the dealer.

the same thing is happening to mine. I also have issue with seams coming apart, where the stiching is the holes just get bigger and bigger. I have already had 3 seats replaced 1 the first year 2 the second year and I have more tearing just like the others.

I just got off the phone with Jorge in customer service at Malibu Boats in Merced. The problem is covered under warranty and they will be replacing the discolored vinyl. Thumbup.gif

Marcus

Added note: I dont think this had anything to do with sunscreen and if it did do you think they would warranty it? Not me.

Edited by Bonz

Ok so what is the best thing to use to protect the seats from what some are claiming comes from sunscreen? Is there any type of protector out there or should I just ban all sunscreen from my boat?

Added note: I dont think this had anything to do with sunscreen and if it did do you think they would warranty it? Not me.

I have seen this problem in multiple boats and in the same area in every case. To me its clearly a defect and I am glad the malibu it taking care of it. If they know its a problem, the dealers should let us know that not to allow sunscreen to get in that area.

I had this problem too and had my vinyl replaced last winter. I was told that it was from the adhesive that they used between the vinyl and padding. This adhesive was only used on the sun deck area.