Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'97 SSLX SV23 Hull?

Arctic Slalom

i'm looking at a used '97 SSLX; looks to be in great shape w/ monsoon.

i noticed that in '98 they changed from regular 'SV23' to 'SV23 wake' in the LX.

looks like '98 was the first year for the SV23 wake or SV23 Diamond.

did malibu abandon the 'regular' SV23 after '97?

I understand that the Diamond is the slalom hull, but how much of a difference is there (slalom 32-36mph) between a '97 SSLX and a '98 SSLXi? What about the respective wakeboard wakes between these two (18-22 mph)?

This boat has the standard wedge, but no tower.

Just curious about the wake characteristics. Dontknow.gif

SV23=SV23 Wake, it's the same. They just added the wake moniker to further differentiate it from the Diamond hull.

Wakeboard wake - I think that the diamond is lippier, particularly with the wedge. I also think that the wake hull is a bit more versatile & responsive to weight placement in the boat in terms of the shape & size of the wake.

Considerable difference in the slalom wakes between the SSLX and SSLXi. LXi is lower and considerably softer than the LX with less spray at shorter lengths and a little less of a trough before the wakes.

Edited by UWSkier

The SLX wake is a bit larger than that of the SLXI and not a soft. By no means is the SLX a bad slalom boat just I give it the nod as a better DD wakeboard boat. The SLXI is better at slalom than wakeboarding. The SLX is a great model but if you’re desire is to slalom then I’d get the SLXI, but the SLX would be a good second choice.

Never skiied one but I wouldn't let the let that fact that it isn't a diamond hull not at least get you to a test ride. My 97 has the non- diamon / wake hull, and I really don't see much of a difference. I ski with people with my same boat except diamond. I know there is a slight difference, but we love our wake. You will have a better barefoot and trick / wakeboard wake.

Its worth a test IMO.

we have a direct drive wakesetter with the wake hull. Same boat as a sunsetter with the exception of standard tower and center ballast. I ski all the time and love the wake behind our boat. We can load it up with about 5 or 6 adults and drop the wedge with the ballast and it will throw a really good wake as well. As far as the ski wake goes I have skied both the response lxi new and old and they are awesome boats, both on a diamond hull of course. However, the wake behind our boat is easily skiable. I even liked it better then the old 86 nautique I skied behind.

Considerable difference in the slalom wakes between the SSLX and SSLXi. LXi is lower and considerably softer than the LX with less spray at shorter lengths and a little less of a trough before the wakes.
The SLX wake is a bit larger than that of the SLXI and not a soft. By no means is the SLX a bad slalom boat just I give it the nod as a better DD wakeboard boat. The SLXI is better at slalom than wakeboarding. The SLX is a great model but if you’re desire is to slalom then I’d get the SLXI, but the SLX would be a good second choice.

where would you guys say there was a bigger 'jump' in wake/handling evolution:

from the orginial malibu hull (my '89) to the SV23 'or'

from the SV23 to the SV23 diamond

they are asking 16.5 for the boat. no tower, in decent/nice shape. has the monsoon w/300 hours. standard OJ legend, boat is sangria and biege. i'll have to stick 1.5k in tower/racks and another 1K in the stereo. it also needs wetsanding/buffing/detailing. single axle trailer, and mooring cover. from the photos the gelcoat and upholstery look really good (haven't seen it in person, yet).

looking for a good crossover malibu, under 25K. in no hurry to purchase.

looking at SSLXi, SSLX and even SSVLX on diamond (2001).

thoughts?

The SV23 hull is what made Malibu, hands down.

Just think that the hull of that 97 is the same hull (different deck) they made the 08 I-rides from.

-Chris

where would you guys say there was a bigger 'jump' in wake/handling evolution:

from the orginial malibu hull (my '89) to the SV23 'or'

from the SV23 to the SV23 diamond

they are asking 16.5 for the boat. no tower, in decent/nice shape. has the monsoon w/300 hours. standard OJ legend, boat is sangria and biege. i'll have to stick 1.5k in tower/racks and another 1K in the stereo. it also needs wetsanding/buffing/detailing. single axle trailer, and mooring cover. from the photos the gelcoat and upholstery look really good (haven't seen it in person, yet).

looking for a good crossover malibu, under 25K. in no hurry to purchase.

looking at SSLXi, SSLX and even SSVLX on diamond (2001).

thoughts?

Well, I'm going to go with the biggest jump being between the older hull & SV23. 99Response is right, that hull is what made Malibu.

I think that in order to give better advice, maybe you should elaborate on how the boat will be used. How much slalom do you do? In the course? What speeds? The thing to remember is that the Wake & Diamond hulls on the SLXI & SLX are much more similar above 32mph than they are below. The wake hull will produce a harder wake at those speeds, but it's similar in size. Below 32 is a different story though. What about wakeboarding & skill level there? What about typical crew size? Is there an interest in surfing? Do you ski/wakeboard off of a dock, or do you trailer to a lake for the day?

If that boat doesn't have Perfect Pass, I'd figure another $1k for that. After you have a boat with it, you can't imagine how you've lived without it. It's easily as important in its own way as the tower IMO.

Definately the charge to SV23 in 93. And the Sunsetter LXI is / was my favorite crossover boat. Lots of space and a good wake. Not sure where they fall with pricing though these days.

If that boat doesn't have Perfect Pass, I'd figure another $1k for that. After you have a boat with it, you can't imagine how you've lived without it. It's easily as important in its own way as the tower IMO.

+1

It's a marriage saver!

Edited by Brodie
elaborate on how the boat will be used.

i'll try to keep this simple:

bought my '89 in spring of 07. have put about 200 hours on it since. wasn't sure how much time we'd get on the lake. didn't want to overbuy, but wanted a value orientated DD. never thought i'd be thinking of upgrading so quickly. kids love it and it's a great way to spend time with family.

CFO skis and has been struggling getting going on WB. i've been progressing on the WB and can go W2W fairly easily. comfy with the 180's and can land a 360. no inverts, yet. grew up waterskiing behind fish/ski boats. haven't messed with sacks or tower, but love WB none the less. son, 8 is good skier, kneeboarder and he loves tubing (kung-fu grip). daughter 4 is a bit timid. she hangs out in the teak zone, mainly swimming, peeing off the platform and drinking juicy juice. typical crew size is 5; two kids, and three adults.

pretty tight family, overall, god bless. younger brothers (22 and 26) like to ski. youngest is pretty solid skier. he and i usually make the coffee runs at 6 a.m. the other bro is usually hung over. they are both starting to WB more and more. just bought a double boot, CDX, a couple weeks ago and it is sweet. been running 28' off, non-course, at 36. the ski is really fun. i like to get in 'front' of the rooster tail on our boat. at 36, it's fairly flat back there. once we have lake home, will likely buy a slalom course. never really course skied before, but it sounds like it would be fun.

would really like to try surfing.

boat is always trailered. no lake property, yet. CFO is finishing medical residency at hospital (2 yrs. left) then we will likely buy lake home/cabin. with wife in residency, my career (design) and two youngsters we're busy to say the least.

in no real hurry to buy. i'd like to have better slalom wake, tower, ballast options. i don't think it's worth sinking 3-4K into my '89 for this Dontknow.gif. not really sure how my boat will handle ballast and that kind of wear and tear (and honestly, don't want to subject it to that either). rode in a friends Centurion a few weeks ago. wife loved the v-drive set-up.

i've been 'casually' looking at the following:

older SSLX -EZSNOW has offered ride/pull, thanks!

'98-01' SSLXi -Brodie has offered ride/pull, thanks!

'01 SSVLX -UWskier has offered ride/pull, thanks!

Tige 20i -Galaxy has offered ride/pull, thanks!

i've been dreaming about:

20' sunscape LSV Rockon.gif

VTX with diamond Drool.gif

'09 FXi Yahoo.gif

Looks like you have a good plan. Let us know how thing progress. I'd like to know what you end up with.

Agreed. I think that you should take up those that have offered you pulls because those are the 3 Malibus that you should be looking at. I tend to think that for the family & size of your crew you'd be happier with the '01 VLX, but for those early morning runs you'll be happier with the SLXI. This is always about compromise, but given the fact that 1) there is no course skiing involved & 2) that you've mentioned that all of you (except the wife) are improving at wakeboarding & would like to try surfing, I'd give the nod to the VLX on the diamond hull.