Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing with Evolution cover

Malibuzer

Hello crew!! We are taking a 9 or 10 hour trip with the motorhome and boat tomorrow and I will be towing with the evolution cover on the VTX. Has anyone travelled loger distances with Cory's cover on? If you have was there anything to keep an eye on, loose straps, cover flapping? Also is there anything eles you could suggest for the boat or trailer as well? We have travelled long distances before with the old boat. I just thought with all the knowledge out there i may learn something new. Thumbup.gif

I have a 3 yr old Rankin cover. I'm not sure how similar/different Cory's cover is, but have heard he worked for them back then. So assuming their similar, heres a few things I do.

- Make sure the side hooks are in good condition, bent properly, velcroed in the right place & hooked under the rub rail to keep the cover tight. Recheck them at rest stops & make adjustments as needed.

- Raise the pylon & put a life vest or a towel on top of it.

- Snug the rear straps really well. Tuck in all the ends under the cover.

- Make sure all the padding on all the contact points is in good shape, especially on the windshield, bow, rear corners, etc. Stick a towel in there if there is any question on any of them.

Mine tows great & leaves no marks on the boat whatsoever. Just be sure it's all snug & there is nothing flapping in the wind.

Bill and Tracie, I have towed it several times for a couple of hours or so but it sure tends to squat down in the front and I get a little "bunching" of the fabric right about where the rear edge of the window sits on the gunnels. I always make sure the straps are tucked in as well. Why do you put up the pilon in the back and use the lifejacket? Does your cover drop down at the rear seat?

........ it sure tends to squat down in the front and I get a little "bunching" of the fabric right about where the rear edge of the window sits on the gunnels.

I assume you have the Illusion tower....... I have the Titan & don't see this problem.

Why do you put up the pilon in the back and use the lifejacket? Does your cover drop down at the rear seat?

Only reason I do it is to keep any rain from pooling up on the cover. And obviously it won't do this if your driving, only parked. Probably not an issue if your not going to see much rain & the side hooks are adjusted right.

Your cover shouldn't be loose enough to raise the pylon, whether it's a Rankin or Evolution Covers. If it is, then it doesn't fit correctly.

I suppose thats possible. But I assumed that since my cover has a small pad under it where the pylon is, that it was designed to use the pylon as a support to keep the angle of the cover. Typically if the boat is in the rain in the boat slip, my boat never has any standing water on it. And many of the other boat covers have a lot.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Check the cover when you make stops to see how it is faring. I had the cover wear through a little hole where it was rubbing up against the hinge for the walkthrough door. Cory later patched and padded the area at no cost.

I'll be doing some 'Bu towing with the motorhome several times over the next month.

I don't have to raise the pilon for pooling water. I am sure in a couple of years it may stretch out some more. The cover does not seem to slip off of the rubrails at all......at least so far. Also what have you guys done as far as the bug situation on your racks? I have ordered some speaker sox rack covers but they have not arrived yet.

I towed with my evolution over on, and all of the velcro pads that clip on around the side to tighten the sides of the cover, left little abrasions in my gelcoat. I am not happy. I will post a picture on monday,.

Edited by lib135
........ it sure tends to squat down in the front and I get a little "bunching" of the fabric right about where the rear edge of the window sits on the gunnels.

I assume you have the Illusion tower....... I have the Titan & don't see this problem.

Why do you put up the pilon in the back and use the lifejacket? Does your cover drop down at the rear seat?

Only reason I do it is to keep any rain from pooling up on the cover. And obviously it won't do this if your driving, only parked. Probably not an issue if your not going to see much rain & the side hooks are adjusted right.

Your cover shouldn't be loose enough to raise the pylon, whether it's a Rankin or Evolution Covers. If it is, then it doesn't fit correctly.

I suppose thats possible. But I assumed that since my cover has a small pad under it where the pylon is, that it was designed to use the pylon as a support to keep the angle of the cover. Typically if the boat is in the rain in the boat slip, my boat never has any standing water on it. And many of the other boat covers have a lot.

Peerhaps that extra pading for the pylon was when the previous years it didn't retract?

Check the cover when you make stops to see how it is faring. I had the cover wear through a little hole where it was rubbing up against the hinge for the walkthrough door. Cory later patched and padded the area at no cost.

I'll be doing some 'Bu towing with the motorhome several times over the next month.

Any norcal stops?

I don't have to raise the pilon for pooling water. I am sure in a couple of years it may stretch out some more. The cover does not seem to slip off of the rubrails at all......at least so far. Also what have you guys done as far as the bug situation on your racks? I have ordered some speaker sox rack covers but they have not arrived yet.

I know Jim(Speaker Sox) was going on vacation for 2 weeks, just FYI. I have lift offs as well and one non but I rarely use it and it hasto come off to get in the garage anyway.

I have to put towels under my cover behind the bow light and along the gelcoat edge under the windsheild on both sides of the boat. Also had to make a motorbox cover as well to let the cover rub on that instead of the vinyl.

I have a couple seams pulling as well. I've sent Cory three emails with pics asking for input...zero response. So much for the 5 year warranty

If Corey has your phone number don't be suprised if he calls you. I put up the first couple of posts and ten minutes later my cell phone rings and it's Cory offering tips about the securing, possible problem areas etc. He also asked if I had any issues with my cover. So far my dealings with Cory have been fantastic. Rockon.gif

I will attach a picture of my cover and my new Trailer Tux rock guard when I get home tonight. Two different products and two damn good customer service stories!!!

Any norcal stops?

Not this time. We'll be heading up to Washington and to LBC in Central Oregon.

If Corey has your phone number don't be suprised if he calls you.

It's been included on every email, sent 7/17, 7/23, and 8/1...nada.

That's to bad. Good luck with your cover. I hope it works out well for both of you.

I tow with the cover on several time a week. The key I found is that the cover must be very tight, I also put blue painters tape where the hooks go. They will rub the gelcoat no matter how tight the cover is. I've had to buff out the boat a few time do to this.

I towed with my evolution over on, and all of the velcro pads that clip on around the side to tighten the sides of the cover, left little abrasions in my gelcoat. I am not happy. I will post a picture on monday,.

The way you hook these things on, I wouldn't have thought it was possible to get abrasions on the glass...... at least I haven't found any on mine.

The hooks themself are covered in "bunny fur", some soft, fuzzy covering. There is strip of the hook (from hook & loop velcro) sewed into the cover. The bunny fur sticks to the hook, and then hooks under the gunnels. There might be some hook still touching the glass on the sides or top, but like I said, I haven't noticed a problem.

How tight are you making the cover? I find you have to crank it down so that it won't move. I have towed a few time's with his cover with out any problems.

Edwin what E mail do you have for Cory? info at evolutioncovers dot com (425) ..478.. 2043

I received a install letter also and this may help.

Evolution Covers

Important! Read!

Putting your cover on

Start at the nose and roll the cover to the back. If applicable secure around the tower legs. Secure the back corners of the cover on the boat. Then secure the tension straps. These should all be taut. A good way to check taut is to put the cover on and secure the tension straps then pour a small amount of water onto the windshield area. If the water stops before it hits the ground tighten the straps. Caution: do not over tighten the tension straps as this will unnecessarily stretch your cover. Finally pull the perimeter rope tightly and secure.

Adjusting side to side tension

This should be done as necessary to maintain proper tension, or taut, from side to side. Caution: do not over tighten the cover as this will stretch the cover out. With the cover on the boat as described above loosen the perimeter rope. With one hand gently pull the cover away from the boat at the location of the first hook. Holding the hook firmly to the boats rub rail, with you other hand. The velcro will separate then pull the cover down to desired location. Watch that the center seam doesn’t move to far to one side. Continue adjusting at each hook location. Finally retighten the perimeter rope.

Things to remember

 Always close the walk through window before putting the cover on.

 Adjust the front trailer wheel up to help with water run off.

 Don’t let snow build up on the cover.

 Make sure you reconnect the perimeter rope (when applicable) while taking the cover off or you may lose it in the pocket.

 For models with a motor box that is about 2”-3” from the center seam a towel should be placed across the motor box while towing as a precautionary measure.

Edwin what E mail do you have for Cory? info at evolutioncovers dot com (425) ..478.. 2043

yep, that's what I've used. He's called me 3 times now in the last 30 mins...but I'm stuck in a meeting and can't take the call.

My cover will try to rub the crap out my gelcoat, not only the hooks but also some of the seams underneith the cover. I have to tape it off or I have alot of work to do.

yep, that's what I've used. He's called me 3 times now in the last 30 mins...but I'm stuck in a meeting and can't take the call.

First you can't get ahold of him and now you can't get him to stop calling. ROFL.gif

Kill them with it Shocking.gif

Spray on wax first, then they wipe off easier.