Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wakesurf rope, what do you use

Chia

What'll they think of next? A special handle for wake surfing? Marketing 101 alive and well...

Maybe I'll design a special slalom handle for LFF skiers since the normal handle is designed for RFF skiers.

Check with Ronald at Wizard Lake Marine. I purchased a surf specific rope from him earlier in the year (can't remember the brand) and it works much better than the makeshift stuff we used before.

Can't handle not using a handle. Everyone gets 'the talk' before using the handle rope. 'Throw the rope' when you're falling.

Crossing our fingers, hope to not have any problems. The ropes I've used without handles have thrashed my hands. Can't imagine what it would do to the more inexperienced crew members.

Yea, I think the handle is useful too - hard to get up w/o it. We use a really short rope, so there isn't a lot of slack for riding with the rope. Also suggest people hold the handle in one hand, and the pull in a bit with the other. With the short rope, there isn't enough slack to loop up, but the handle flops around (which looks dangerous) if you don't hold it

I've never wake surfed, but I think I'm gonna give it a try this week. With that in mind, why is the handle dangerous?

What'll they think of next?  A special handle for wake surfing?  Marketing 101 alive and well...

Maybe I'll design a special slalom handle for LFF skiers since the normal handle is designed for RFF skiers.

I just turn the handle over and the RFF works just as well Tongue.gif

I use the Straight Line Wakesurf line

Straight Line

Click on wake combos and look at the 2 bottom listings.

I've never had a problem. I always alert whoever i'm tossing the handle to before I do so. It's so much easier on your hands than the knotted rope, IMO.

I still use the first rope we made.

I use a 15ft or so piece of that real fat tube rope - spliced eyes inboth ends.

Then slip on an old slalom handle (right handed Biggrin.gif )

Have not had any limb hanging issues and we've logged well over 300 hours surfing.

Plus we always try to toss the handle onto the pylon for extra points.

We tie the regular rope to the tower at whatever length we need. It shouldnt be a big deal. Thats always worked perfectly fine for us. We just coil up the rest of the rope, hang it from the tower, and you're good to go.

On occasion a friend brings an older rope thats been cut down to the proper length for wakesurfing.

I used the fat tube rope originally cuz its ez to hold onto without a handle and doesn't hurt the hands of those that like to pull themselves in with the rope.

I've got our length just right so you can surf into the sweet spot without pulling any.

I can't see spending the money when I have a ok used handle that works greats. Plus I would think for beginners it would be hard to hold onto a ball or just the rope. Can you say rope burns??

My son and I made are own braided handle for $10.00. It works great for surfin', but it tends to twist up the rope if it is drug through the water for too long.

Make your own for cheap!

Edited by woody

We took two five foot sections from our tube rope, then added the 5 foot section of a wakeboard handle. We hang that off the tower, and it's the perfect length.

I've learned you need to have an extra handle / rope in the boat for wakeboarding anyway. I just use it surfing in the mean time :)

Heres the answer to your cheap wakesurfing handle.

All for $13. I bought it from a local MC delear. Its actually a dog leash that Accurate sells for a novelty item, so to speak. Crazy.gif

Ive been using it for a month now and works great I believe its the same size as an actual wakesurfing handle at a third of the price

It even had a dog coller hook on it. Surprised.gif

It came with a 4' length rope, I added another 10' section out of an old ski rope :) Works great.

No more worring about getting your hand or arm caught caught in the handle. Yahoo.gif

Edited by WakeGirl
I like that. Gonna hafta look for 1 around here.

Started looking for one, let me know if anyone finds it cheap on the net

TheDucky bought an Accurate wake surf rope at Warming Hut in Dallas for about $30-35. It looks just like that pic but it was about 20' with one or two removable sections of rope. Its a nice rope but we still don't know how to surf. Or at least I dont....

Heres the answer to your cheap wakesurfing handle. 

All for $13.  I bought it from a local MC delear.  Its actually a dog leash that Accurate sells for a novelty item, so to speak.  Crazy.gif

Ive been using it for a month now and works great I believe its the same size as an actual wakesurfing handle at a third of the price

It even had a dog coller hook on it. Surprised.gif

That's a pretty good idea.