Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel leaking around boat, dripping on back ramp

Fuel is leaking from somewhere. It starts on the side of the boat where the fuel cap is, wraps around following the rubber bumper on boat to the back right side. Then the fuel drips and has faded the paint and caused the rubber on the back ramp to separate from the glue and is pulling up?

Anyone had this problem? Seems to consistently do it if the fuel is filled all the way up.

Fuel is leaking from somewhere. It starts on the side of the boat where the fuel cap is, wraps around following the rubber bumper on boat to the back right side. Then the fuel drips and has faded the paint and caused the rubber on the back ramp to separate from the glue and is pulling up?

Anyone had this problem? Seems to consistently do it if the fuel is filled all the way up.

You may want to try not filling it up all the way? I always leave room in the tank for the slosh effect especially when we wake surf with the bow way up.

Are you parking your boat with the bow slightly higher than the stern? If so, on a hot day, pressure will build in the front of gas tank forcing gas out vent or cap. Make sure boat is level or even a little bow down when parked, should stop leaking.

Mine does that too. I fill up on the way home each time. On the way to my house is a long up-hill, right hand curve. If I fill the 'Bu all the way, I can watch the fuel come out of the overflow fitting when I round that curve. Solution....stop filling it all the way up. And yes, the rubber mat on the back part of my trailer fender is coming unglued. So am I Crazy.gif

I would install a RACOR LG50 unit in the fuel vent line, should fix your problem.

-Chris

Plus1.gif

+2

It will most likely fix the problem, but there have been reports of it not working. Still, the success rates are high enough that it's worth trying IMO.

• 1 year later...

My 2008 Wakesetter 247 will lose fuel through the tank vent when it is only slightly over half-full but parked with the stern pointed down on my 9-degree drive-way. Reversing the boat orientation so that the stern is pointed up seems to have fixed this issue. This is not the kind of problem I would have expected out of a high end boat. Regardless, it seems an engineering fix is in order. A vent line from the front and rear of the gas tank and teed together slightly before the vent would make the boat more tolerant to being parked on slight inclines.

And yes, the rubber pad on my swim deck is coming unglued because of the gas overflow.

Does anyone have a recommendation on the glue needed to reaffix the pad on the swim deck?