Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower Lights

eubanks

Don't take my word for it, but I'd imagine that a decent set would set you back from 3 to 5 C-notes...

There are many mixed feelings on this subject. They certainly look KILLER on a tower, but in all reality, they are a total WOM, and aside from when you are docking, are illegal on any public body of water that I know of (something about blinding other boaters... ;)). Of course, those rules may be set by state - I seem to remember someone saying it was legal in Texas? In any event, its dangerous to ride at night so if that's why you wanted them, I would recommend against it. Just my opinion though.

JZ

Don't take my word for it, but I'd imagine that a decent set would set you back from 3 to 5 C-notes... 

There are many mixed feelings on this subject.  They certainly look KILLER on a tower, but in all reality, they are a total WOM, and aside from when you are docking, are illegal on any public body of water that I know of (something about blinding other boaters... ;)).  Of course, those rules may be set by state - I seem to remember someone saying it was legal in Texas?  In any event, its dangerous to ride at night so if that's why you wanted them, I would recommend against it.  Just my opinion though.

JZ

Thanks for the info. I know that they wouldn't help us to ride at night, but I had a buddy with some on his Supra. He said he really liked having them to trailer at night, cleaning the boat at night, seeing a little better early in the morning, etc.

I'm in the "out of control" mode with seeing what else we can add to our new boat! Surprised.gif

For the reasons Jonathon gave I'd save the cash unless you're gong for the total bling factor. Otherwise for the docking at night I'd just go get one of those portable 10 billion candle watt lights that you can use in many situations.

Tower lights are another thing that costs way too much, but I still bought some from mako and love them. I know there are a few brands out for the illusion now. I think the most cost affective are boss's bar or westwinds lights.

Tower lights are another thing that costs way too much, but I still bought some from mako and love them.  I know there are a few brands out for the illusion now.  I think the most cost affective are boss's bar or westwinds lights.

Cost effective and tower lights? That's an oxymoron! :)

If you can get on a private lake and actually use them they do work, but otherwise are illegal most everywhere. Although I do know a few people who love them for docking, trailering, and spotlighting game/people on the lake.

If you can get on a private lake and actually use them they do work, but otherwise are illegal most everywhere.  Although I do know a few people who love them for docking, trailering, and spotlighting game/people on the lake.

There have been a few times in this exact situation that I would have paid a pretty penny for a set of lights. The pucker factor for me when putting the boat on the trailer in the dark is pretty high. I keep scheming on a way to retro fit a pair of driving lights to the tower cleanly, but I haven't figured the "cleanly" part out yet. ;) (Yes I know, another tech article in the making if I get it figured out.)

This is one of those if you need them get them if you don't...well it's up to you. We use them for loading after dark, either on the lift or the tow vehicle. I've been in situations where the only light was the reverse lights on the tow vehicle. I've got the factory docking lights. I have to look to see if they are on. They don't put out much light. We have a "Boat-in" resturant/bar up the lake, when we stay late it's not a problem driving down the lake, but when we get back to the lift, I want to see all I can to get the boat in the slip straight.

The one thing about lights is they have to reflect off of something to do any good. Out in open water they don't reflect off of anything so it's like shinning a flashlight straight up in the sky at night.

Like was mentioned above, get a good hand held light to drive with. You can move it around and look for things better than a fixed light. If you load at night...get them.

The one thing about lights is they have to reflect off of something to do any good. Out in open water they don't reflect off of anything so it's like shinning a flashlight straight up in the sky at night.

If they are not reflecting off anything you are good to go. If they are reflecting of a log or rock they are doing their job.

I asked my dealer today how much it would cost to have lites added to the Illusion tower, he said $200.00 each. Does anyone know where to buy the lites that fit the factory holes on the Illiusion tower?