Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to run the boat out of the water

arsenuts411

Is there some sort of connection that you need to use to hook up an inboard to a garden hose. I used to use the muffs on my I/O was wondering if there is something that is needed similar to that?

Is there some sort of connection that you need to use to hook up an inboard to a garden hose. I used to use the muffs on my I/O was wondering if there is something that is needed similar to that?

It's called a "fake-a-lake". It looks very similar to a plunger but has a hose hook-up on it.

I went to the hardware store and made a deal that I can hook a garden hose straight to the pick-up pump. I made a plunger type one, didn't like it.

With the straight hook-up, you know you're getting water to the pick-up pump.

Edited by Bondo

i assume Bondo made his own version of a Flush Pro, the alternative to Fake-A-Lake. i have both, and a flush pro is much nicer (and neater), plus I can use it to flush the boat when it is on the lift (since I live on a brackish river).

I've been looking for a "T" that would fit the raw water hose but, can't seem to find one with a big enough I.D. plus, I'd need a connector that will thread to a garden hose and need a way to cap it off when not connected to the garden hose. Anybody got a link?

I've been looking for a "T" that would fit the raw water hose but, can't seem to find one with a big enough I.D. plus, I'd need a connector that will thread to a garden hose and need a way to cap it off when not connected to the garden hose. Anybody got a link?

Pete, Pete, Pete!!! Home Depot :)

Edit: And use brass, it won't rust. I've made a few already!!

Edited by 68Slalom

Why not make something seperate, take an adapter and get a section of 1.25" hose and just change out the line on the raw water pump (DD) or the V-drive unit.

I may actually go ahead and make one, pulling off one hose seems easier than busting out the creeper every time. Throw an inline valve in there and I'm in heaven! And of course make it long enough to reach out of the boat!

Mcmaster has some stuff you could piece together, garden hose to NPT. They also have a barb for 1" ID hose. I bet you could clamp a section of 1.25" hose down hard enough and then just go right to the raw water or v-drive hookups.

Edited by 99response

I made this with about $20 worth of parts from the hardware store. I hook it straight to the intake of the impeller housing. The clear tubing lets me confirm water flow. The shutoff valve lets me start/stop the water flow when I start/stop the engine.

Here's a better picture

post-58-1218664855.jpg

Edited by rts
I made this with about $20 worth of parts from the hardware store. I hook it straight to the intake of the impeller housing. The clear tubing lets me confirm water flow. The shutoff valve lets me start/stop the water flow when I start/stop the engine.

Nice! I will be making one of these things next time I'm at home depot, and retire the fake-a-lake & creeper duo.

-Chris

Nice! I will be making one of these things next time I'm at home depot, and retire the fake-a-lake & creeper duo.

-Chris

If you have the heater, and use hose fittings to disconnect it there is an even easier way. I added a brass "Y" with the shutoffs, one in-2 out. When it is time to run to boat on the hose, I shut the valve to the heater, shut the shutoff at the intake, attach the hose and open that shutoff up. Fire up the hose and I am all set. When I am done, I just reverse the process.

For added safety, so I dont draw air through the open leg of the "Y" during normal use I have a double male fitting and a cap.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to make a flush kit out of everyday sprinkler parts for very little $$.

check out this thread

Those look good, but I like what RTS did because I can use it from boat to boat. When I own 2 or 3 a year makes a big difference for me!

I can use it from boat to boat. When I own 2 or 3 a year makes a big difference for me!

Well, if you'd quit beating the crap out of them, maybe you could keep one for a year or so? :lol:

How did you tie it in Bondo?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, like they all said, go to hardware store and piece it all together. I just cut the end off of a garden-hose and slide the adaptor I made into it and hose clamp it. I just take off the pick-up hose from the pick-up pump and replace it with the deal I made. Make sure that you get the water pick-up hose back onto the pick-up pump right. Check for leaks when you put it back in the water. I always carry extra hose-clamps in the boat,

better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

I maybe had 15 bucks into it.

Thanks for that link Ute, think I'm gonna do that.

+2 on that!!!

That has to be the best DIY for this project ive seen here on the site!! For me pictures mean 1000 words and makes projects sooooo much easier IMO!!

Thanks UTE!!