Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 09 LSV Owner!!!!! Now the wait....dang!

Calexan

So Ive decided to get into wakeboarding after being a long time snowboarder. So I took the plunge headfirst. Ive only ridden behind X-stars, so i bought a Bu. Go figure... I have absolutely nothing Wakeboard related so im starting from scratch. What are some things im gonna need immediatly to get a few last weeks in before the season is over here in Arkansas.

About the boat: Brand New 09 Malibu 23' LSV. Loaded with pretty much everything i figured i needed for casual riding (ie no heaters) hoping to get it Mid Sept. Already adding 2 pairs of P60 Wet sounds on the tower. Its coming with sound package 2 but more than likely ill change the speakers out, not that big of a Rockford fan. Not sure if I got a good deal or not but it seemed like it so i just went ahead and went for it. Not really to sure what most dealers take off of MSRP for a new boat, but it sounded good so now im about to be a Bu owner.

As far as boards go, i know i should just talk to the local shop and get their opinions, but I like to have an idea before I go in there what im getting myself into. They carry, Ronix, Liquid Force and, Hyperlite products.

Im not very good yet cause ive only been twice, but im hooked, i guess do to my snowboarding background. haha. But I dont want to really get stuck buying an expensive beginner board if im trying to progress. I have gone wake to wake a couple of times but not consistant... I'm 5'11" about 175lbs. Size 11-12 Shoes. What size boards should i be looking for. Also im completely thrown about Rocker and the fins and basically everything about the board. Haha

Anything yall can help me with would be awesome. Im trying to get a few weeks in before it gets to cold here so Ive still got a couple weeks to get prepared till my new boat gets here..... I'm stoaked!!!!

Where do you live? If it's a northern climate, get a heater. Seriously. They're worth their weight in gold on those cold mornings or early season sets.

EDIT: Aah, didn't read closely enough. Arkansas... get a heater.

Edited by UWSkier

Welcome.gif

As far as the boards, demo demo demo!

Ropes, non stretch and whatever looks good to you.

handle, what ever feels good in your hands.

vest, what ever fits but lets you move.

helmet, your choice.

HEATER!!! so the season last more then a few weeks! Thumbup.gif

If you do a search you will find a list of new boat goodies to have.

what colors did you get?

Edited by txwakejunkie

Normally wakeboarding interest drives buying the boards and stuff, then follows the wakeboard specific boat. Wow, ok.

Get with a teacher/instructor if possible and demo a few boards. Go intermediate/advanced, not beginner boards. If you can get up, you are past beginner boards.

I'm riding the LF Witness riding Watson open toe bindings. I like the support of the stiffer Watson boots for landings. Board size and shape varies, so if you have the opportunity try a bunch of different boards and see what works best for you personally. Not just what other people think you should ride. I like the Witness because it is a great board for toe side, for pop and landings, and has a loose, playful feel.

So why cant this be real? I like boats.... I just sold one and had some money to spend on a new one, so I went with a Malibu. I figured why d*** around if I really wanted to start wakeboarding. They seemed like good boats that I can also enjoy when im not wakeboarding.

Normal i would have spent Daddy's money, but it was time for me to take on my first responsibility so what better than a boat I can have fun with at the same time. So Im getting my first loan, paying 40K as a down payment and going from there. Yea I could have ridden with my friends for a while as I got better, but at some point I was gonna end up getting a boat, why not now?

Thanks to everybody else that has given me suggestions! As to the heaters, i just dont know.... Our season is from about April till October so i think ill have my fill from that before its snowboard season, but do yall really think they are that necessary? Ill call the dealer and see how much would be my cost to add them just as an idea, just when i first built it i just dont see myself being that hardcore that I would skip snowboarding to go wakeboarding. No offense to you hardcore guys.

First Wakeboaring specific boat.

Had my share of party barges, had and 86' Barefoot Natique with a 454 and then just sold a 96' 28" Unlimited Powerboat with twin 502's (Just demolished gas). So now this is my lone boat as soon as I get it. I should get the spray date tomorrow so im pretty excited.

This will be my first brand new boat though.

Sorry to make so many posts, I keep reading other messages and responding.

As for the colors, I went with Classic, Everything Black except for Red accents where the thin strips are on the top and lower half of the boat, Ill be sure to post pics as soon as i get the boat.

Most of this story just contradicts logic and thought.

Had my share of party barges, had and 86' Barefoot Natique with a 454 and then just sold a 96' 28" Unlimited Powerboat with twin 502's (Just demolished gas). So now this is my lone boat as soon as I get it.
Normal i would have spent Daddy's money, but it was time for me to take on my first responsibility so what better than a boat I can have fun with at the same time. So Im getting my first loan, paying 40K as a down payment and going from there.

How old are you that you have had all those boats but you would "Normal" have spent daddy's money?

before its snowboard season,

Where do you ride?

If you just all of a sudden decided to get a wakeboard boat why did you order a new one when you can get the same boat (2008 LSV) minus a couple options for about $20k less from any dealer?

If you like early morning butter, that is where the heater comes in. You may not need it during the day but in the morn or when the temp is down in the 50's-60's and the water is some where in there to. Its worth the extra change to get it even if it is just to keep your lady warm, cold ladys make for a bad time on the water!

Edited by txwakejunkie

Wow some of these responses are ridicoulous!!!

Welcome to the crew huh! You sound exactly like me,,IM young (25) and have only had my parents boats to ever go out on and they were nothing pretty just old flat bottoms with a 350 in it. cant do much behind those at all..and coming from an extreme snowboarding background in california I love being out on the water during the summer..

I started in the same position you did going out on friends boats and just could never really get them to go out as much as i wanted so I said Screw it and bought my own boat..

I went to my local shop and dropped a G right away for toys for the boat..

I got a Hyperlite 3ds and some Cwb factions, a liquid force control wakeskate, Hyperlite broadcast surfer, zipper tube and 4 neoprene vests, I got a nice carbon fiber handle and an accurate line...I figured ya im a begginner know but i know ill progress the more im out there and didnt want to buy a begginer setup for it wont last long at all... It also helped to know the manager at the shop on a personal level..LOL>>

U mine as well buy all the toys at once that way once your out on the water u got everything u need!!

Congrats on the boat and make sure to post pics once u get it!!

Most of this story just contradicts logic and thought.

Logic and Thought are overrated when buying something fun to have fun with

How old are you that you have had all those boats but you would "Normal" have spent daddy's money?

24.... Parents have taken care of me and whatever i needed so long as i graduated law school and stayed out of trouble.

Where do you ride?

Breck/Keystone/A-basin Area.... its only like an 11 hour drive so totally drivable a few times a winter especially with winter and spring breaks.

If you just all of a sudden decided to get a wakeboard boat why did you order a new one when you can get the same boat (2008 LSV) minus a couple options for about $20k less from any dealer?

There were a couple of 08's on the lot... but i didnt really like the color combos. I figure if i was gonna pay that money for a boat i might as well get a color i like. So i was happy getting the boat i wanted for that where i actually get to pick out what i want.

Im not trying to sound like a jerk, just trying to get some help to get started. I just didnt see a reason why if i was gonna buy a new boat anyway, and i wanted to start wakeboarding..... why not get a new wakeboard boat. Thats basically gonna force me to go now cause i have so much invested hahaha

Edited by Calexan

Come on J leave the poor guy alone, the first boat I purchased is the one that I own today. Granted I didn't get it as early as I wanted but it's all good.

Board: Demo, demo, demo

Boots closed toe Liguid force, try them on and see what feels good.

Rope: non-stretch

Vest: Get a coast guard approved vest so if you do something stupid and crash 10' below the water line it will float you back up.

Handle: Try them in the store and see what you like.

Wetsuit: depends on how easily you get cold and what the water temps are.

Best of luck and post the boat up when you get it. Oh yea and the heater I would get also, at 5:30 in the morning it can be a little cold out

I apologize for thinking that this was BS. If it quacks like a duck maybe it's a platypus.

I'll ask some nice questions now....

When do you/did you graduate law school and what do you want to practice?

Tim-

You hitting the pond this weekend too?

Well I apologize that I came off sounding fake. Im just excited about this friggin boat and want to have everything ready that i will need so theres no time wasted. I graduate next may then into the world of criminal and family law.

But back to wake boarding stuff. Is there a way to scale what size board im gonna need. Im guessing its like snowboards where theres some formula with weight and height but im totally lost on it as of now. I know i need to go demo some but id like to have an idea on what i should be demoing. I figure brands are pretty similar and its just which line of boards in each brand that will make the difference.

Well I apologize that I came off sounding fake. Im just excited about this friggin boat and want to have everything ready that i will need so theres no time wasted. I graduate next may then into the world of criminal and family law.

But back to wake boarding stuff. Is there a way to scale what size board im gonna need. Im guessing its like snowboards where theres some formula with weight and height but im totally lost on it as of now. I know i need to go demo some but id like to have an idea on what i should be demoing. I figure brands are pretty similar and its just which line of boards in each brand that will make the difference.

Go to wakeworld and check out the board wizard. Wakeboards are based off of weight, height does not matter.

http://www.wakeworld.com/Wizard/Boards.asp

J no going to Bullards

Edited by NvBoarder

Calexan,

Congrats on the new boat! The 09 LSV should be awesome.

The board decision maker on wakeworld is a good starting tool. Then checkout the reviews and come up with a list to demo.

Liquid Force is my favorite board company right now. I have the Witness which is very popular. Another good LF board is the Watson. Bindings, jsut try a few and like snow board boots, stand around awhile in them to make sure there comfortable. Bindings just come down to comfort and style.

Thanks for the help so far! Its got me started on what I want to look at.

Ok so far I want to Demo:

Ronix Ibex

Ronix Vault

Ronix Frontier

Ronix Colven (Probably to advanced, but it looks sick!!!!)

Hyperlite Apex

Hyyperlite Pulse

LiquidForce Lyman (Might be to slick at my stage)

LiquidForce Watson

Still not sure about the length I should go with, but I like smaller snowboards so Im looking in the 135-137 range.

Thanks for the help so far! Its got me started on what I want to look at.

Ok so far I want to Demo:

Ronix Ibex

Ronix Vault

Ronix Frontier

Ronix Colven (Probably to advanced, but it looks sick!!!!)

Hyperlite Apex

Hyyperlite Pulse

LiquidForce Lyman (Might be to slick at my stage)

LiquidForce Watson

Still not sure about the length I should go with, but I like smaller snowboards so Im looking in the 135-137 range.

I am riding the Watson 138 with out the center fin. It's got great pop and soft landing and is pretty fast, I still want the Lyman 139 but I can't find some place to Demo and am afraid it might be to loose. I have been told that the Lyman is a little looser than the Watson and faster.