Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hours on a 2006 23 LSV

11molson

Hi, I'm considering buying a 2006 23 LSV with 600 hours on it....is that too high? Should I be concerned? What kind of repairs will I be looking at sooner than later? What are the some hours some of you have on your boats?

The engine is the 8.1L Vortec.

Thanks.

How was the boat used, camp, private, etc? Typcially run with lots of ballast for wakeboarding?

600 hours is definitely high for the year, expect a pretty decent discount in price.

Mechanically 600 hours is no big deal assuming all the required maintenance was done.

I've had boats with 625, 500, 670 and 1400 hours and also have seen many climb into the 1000+ mark with no problems.

-Chris

How was the boat used, camp, private, etc? Typcially run with lots of ballast for wakeboarding?

600 hours is definitely high for the year, expect a pretty decent discount in price.

Mechanically 600 hours is no big deal assuming all the required maintenance was done.

I've had boats with 625, 500, 670 and 1400 hours and also have seen many climb into the 1000+ mark with no problems.

-Chris

I beleive it was used by Malibu themselves, so I'd imagine (hope) the required maintenance was done.

My 2004 23' LSV has just over 800 hours on it. It uses no oil and runs like a champ. Half of those hours were spent pulling hydrofoilers without ballast or wedge. The maintainence has been by the book. The acid test is...would I sell it to a friend? Yup!

A 2006 with 600 hours would not worry me. Still, I would require a compression check and general check up by a dealer before I would buy any used boat.

-Chris

Doesn't matter who owned it, if is has that many hours it was used a lot even if it was purchased early in 06' that's 200 hrs a season and this season isn't even over yet. As long as they have the records of maintenance I wouldn't worry about it, but if they can't prove any work was done I would be a little skeptical about making the deal.

That's just me :)

As long as records of service are all there, I think I would rather own a boat that I know has been used a little instead of one that just sits. That's my opinion of course though. Mine is a 2000 LSV w/ about 975 hours and has ben meticulously maintained! Still runs like a champ, uses no oil, has no leaks and I have never had a problem w/ it. Besides the normal things that can just wear out over time.

-Chris

Doesn't matter who owned it, if is has that many hours it was used a lot even if it was purchased early in 06' that's 200 hrs a season and this season isn't even over yet. As long as they have the records of maintenance I wouldn't worry about it, but if they can't prove any work was done I would be a little skeptical about making the deal.

That's just me :)

I would say who owned it makes a huge difference. Was it an easy 600 hours or a hammer it down while the motor is cold with 3000# pounds of ballast 600 hours?

-Chris

If you're buying it from 'Malibu' or from one of the managers there, then the boat was surely kept up. Look at the upholstery. Check for chips in the gelcoat. All of that stuff should have been touched up, if you're truly purchasing it from Malibu, or someone that works at the factory (most likely).

A decent percentage off for use, then have fun. I wouldn't worry about it.

Great...thanks for the feedback. Apparently the boat was a demo/team boat??? Anyways, it still has 2 years of factory warranty and it's being sold by a reputable dealer.

Any thoughts on the 2006 23 LSV in general? Is the 8.1L engine worth it? Any options that are a must have?

My guess is that it was used as a Malibu "Sponsor" boat with one of the dealership's sponsored riders or someone of the like.

Great...thanks for the feedback. Apparently the boat was a demo/team boat??? Anyways, it still has 2 years of factory warranty and it's being sold by a reputable dealer.

Any thoughts on the 2006 23 LSV in general? Is the 8.1L engine worth it? Any options that are a must have?

Unless you're getting an unbelievable deal on that boat I'd pass. You can find 06-07 lsv's with as little as 50 hours on them for a great price right now.

a team boat / sponsor boat would scare me. I wouldn't expect them to take very good care of somethign they got for free and don't have to maintain because they'll get a new one. If it was a pro boarders boat, I'd avoid it like the plague!

I don't think "Malibu" uses boats, I may be wrong but I would investigate further.

Actually Malibu uses many factory demo boats. I bought a 2006 RLXI factory demo this past spring with 300 hours on it. Boat was never titled but used by malibu at events. Boat has some minor issues but all seem be fine now. I know I will not find a deal like this ever again.