Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Question getting dumber as I type

River Rat

I have another boat at the lake that needs a trailer...the boat is a Monterey I/O and has a net weight of 3600 lbs. I found a tandem trailer that is in good shape that has a gross carrying weight of 3500 lbs. Would anybody take a chance on that trailer? I know the rated weights are lower than actual capacities because of the lawyers (I can say that because I am one) but how much "extra" is there? Is it foolish to think that this would work? I won't tow more than an hour and that will be once in a blue moon--it will mostly be used to take the boat for detailing and a place to keep the boat when it is not on the lift. Thoughts?

is the Monterey REALLY 3600 lbs.? if so I'd imagine you could remove 100 lbs. of cushions and throw them in your truck and get closer to the 3500 number. if the times you tow really are few and far between that shouldn't be too much trouble.

on the flipside, I'd be sure to not trailer with a full tank of gas...

Edited by PDR447
I have another boat at the lake that needs a trailer...the boat is a Monterey I/O and has a net weight of 3600 lbs. I found a tandem trailer that is in good shape that has a gross carrying weight of 3500 lbs. Would anybody take a chance on that trailer? I know the rated weights are lower than actual capacities because of the lawyers (I can say that because I am one) but how much "extra" is there? Is it foolish to think that this would work? I won't tow more than an hour and that will be once in a blue moon--it will mostly be used to take the boat for detailing and a place to keep the boat when it is not on the lift. Thoughts?

I would not be concerned at all.Usually 15-20% at the least..

Got the weight for the Monterey off NADA specs--all my information on this boat is at the lake (hour away) and I couldn't find it anywhere else. It is a 218 Bowrider. I don't think there is anywhere around me that would weigh it. Could take it to a weigh station if I had a trailer <G>