Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Choosing a 'bu

TheKiwi

At the present time, I'm using a '99 Response once in a while, haven't driven this season as its being having some engine troubles, so I've been on a 97 canaventure outboard haha.

I have roughly $20k USD to spend, and am caught up with all the models. I've spoken with Peter from Smooth Water Sports, and he suggested boat trader, which I've looked at and have come back with hundreds of results with different years and models with no pattern in the pricings!

As I have not driven a V-Drive at the moment, I'm gonna ask a few questions here!

My family is split between skiing and wakeboarding. I like the rear sundeck of the V Drives, but I seem to be finding a lot of older wakesetters, which I'm told aren't that great to ski behind.

I spoke with a fellow dock owner here at our RV park who has a 2003 Response, and he mentioned the bow is quite low and in chop he takes a bit of water over the front, he also mentioned the Sunsetter opposite his was higher at the front, but with the same hull and engine?

Is there anything overly bad about the D-Drives? Should I settle for the d drive and just look for the newest in best condition? Or the v drive? Is there a great difference in handling between the 2?

Not a new boat owner, but have been round outboards all my life so this is my first inboard, any advice on my predicament would be greatly appreciated.

I also know its a matter of what I find, but as I'm in Vancouver I will most likely be wanting to fly down to where ever said boat is, test it out and hopefully bring it home. Hopefully I don't have to repeat that part of the trip!!

At the present time, I'm using a '99 Response once in a while, haven't driven this season as its being having some engine troubles, so I've been on a 97 canaventure outboard haha.

I have roughly $20k USD to spend, and am caught up with all the models. I've spoken with Peter from Smooth Water Sports, and he suggested boat trader, which I've looked at and have come back with hundreds of results with different years and models with no pattern in the pricings!

As I have not driven a V-Drive at the moment, I'm gonna ask a few questions here!

My family is split between skiing and wakeboarding. I like the rear sundeck of the V Drives, but I seem to be finding a lot of older wakesetters, which I'm told aren't that great to ski behind.

That isn't exactly true. There are difference between hulls/years also. Do searches on crossover, multisport, skiing and wakeboarding, etc. and you will find a ton of info.

I spoke with a fellow dock owner here at our RV park who has a 2003 Response, and he mentioned the bow is quite low and in chop he takes a bit of water over the front, he also mentioned the Sunsetter opposite his was higher at the front, but with the same hull and engine?

The response has a low bow, yes. The Sunsetter will be easier to keep from dipping.

Is there anything overly bad about the D-Drives? Should I settle for the d drive and just look for the newest in best condition? Or the v drive? Is there a great difference in handling between the 2?

No, DD's are fine. No, you should not "settle". This is a luxury purchase not something you "need". Get what you "want" or you won't be happy. The DD handles better but the Vdrive will handle better than what you are used to. The exception being slow speeds when all inboards handle poorly, some would same "differently" but you'll think they handle poorly until you get use to it.

Not a new boat owner, but have been round outboards all my life so this is my first inboard, any advice on my predicament would be greatly appreciated.

I also know its a matter of what I find, but as I'm in Vancouver I will most likely be wanting to fly down to where ever said boat is, test it out and hopefully bring it home. Hopefully I don't have to repeat that part of the trip!!

Lots of good deals in WA and CA right now. You shouldn't have to go too far. Enjoy the process and post pics of the new boat when you get it!

The direct drive will be better for skiing (particularly below 32mph), the vdrive better for wakeboarding & surfing. The direct drive will out-handle the vdrive, but the vdrive will be more comfortable (particularly with a larger crew).

You're going to find it difficult to get into the right vdrive at that price point. The one that I would recommend would be an older Sunsetter VLX/Sunscape 21' on the SV23 diamond hull, but those command a higher resale since they are desirable as a good crossover boat. If you can stretch to the upper $20k's, then you could probably get into a good one. The direct drive that I would recommend in that budget would be a Sunsetter LXI ('99-'04, stay away from the '05-'06 version) - great crossover boat, decent room for a good-sized crew, & good storage.

I would not overtly worry about direct-drive, we have a pylon and wedge on our Echelon (DD) and I don't mind the wake for boarding at all. For skiing, nothing beats it besides sporty/responses that are smaller. That being said, if you have kids, they will likely gravitate heavily toward the boarding, and want to bring friends etc, and there you have the allure of the V-Drive.

Our boat has been in the family since 95, however if i were buying today it would be a Sunsetter VLX, or a used vRide. You can just fit so many more people and gear. Honesltly i love the echelons slalom wake, but i don't compete or run courses. I do however commonly try to cram a ton of folks into a DD, which is tough.

I agree with 95echelon, but we have an 21XTi and we are out with 8 people min. all the time granted we can't just lay out anywhere but you can make it work and our bow comes in much more handy than I thought it would. Our boat was intended for skiing 1st and boarding 2nd, but my problem is having too many people in the boat, which isn't so much a room issue, just weight. So you have to pick on what you really want to do that day Dontknow.gif that is the hard part when more people want to come along.

Just my $.02, I'm not sure if I have crossed that line over to a V Drive yet :unsure:

Thanks guys. If you think an inboard handles poorly at slow speed try and outboard. They are terrible and I can hardly do a basic u turn into my berth these days!

Wakegirl, in regards to the VLX what years would they be, can probably stretch the budget!

Will post pics of how things go!

Thanks guys. If you think an inboard handles poorly at slow speed try and outboard. They are terrible and I can hardly do a basic u turn into my berth these days!

Wakegirl, in regards to the VLX what years would they be, can probably stretch the budget!

Will post pics of how things go!

If you can get into the $54k range I know a good one for you :)

That would be a mighty stretch. :lol:

You want either an '01 Sunsetter VLX, or Sunscape 21' that would be an '02-'04 (they're basically the same boat with some features that differentiate the years - the Sunscape moniker was adopted in '02). Those 4 years/models are about the best crossover vdrives out there (other than the newer Sunscape 20', which would also be a mighty stretch :)), & tend to be sought after as a result.

Believe us, inboards have way less low speed steering than outboards. Actually that's not quite right, forwards steering is quite similar but reverse steering is almost zero in comparison to an outboard. Can be done but takes time to learn and a reasonable wind cancels most peoples best efforts.

That would be a mighty stretch. :lol:

You want either an '01 Sunsetter VLX, or Sunscape 21' that would be an '02-'04 (they're basically the same boat with some features that differentiate the years - the Sunscape moniker was adopted in '02). Those 4 years/models are about the best crossover vdrives out there (other than the newer Sunscape 20', which would also be a mighty stretch :)), & tend to be sought after as a result.

i think the sunscape has the seating which wraps around the port side. the 01' SS just terminates at the port side. talk to UW skier about the 01 SS VLX. i think he knows as much as anyone about that boat. he's got photos of the ski, surf and wakeboard wake too. good luck with your search...i agree with tracie that lots of folks are looking for a good skiing vdrive.

I am not quite sure what you mean by "settle on a direct drive." :unsure: I m trying to think of a better configuration for crisp handling and skiing tow-boat performance and nothing comes to mind. No.gif

I am not quite sure what you mean by "settle on a direct drive." :unsure: I m trying to think of a better configuration for crisp handling and skiing tow-boat performance and nothing comes to mind. No.gif

I'm a wakeboarder :P My partner in crime is a skier! As Hack said, I shouldn't have to settle for something I don't want. And I'm not going to.

I posted this in the tower thread, but got no replies ! Say I broought a 2002 Sunscape 21 LSV. From factory it didn't come with an illusion x tower. Am I able to have one fitted?

Edited by DodgyKiwi

I'm a wakeboarder :P My partner in crime is a skier! As Hack said, I shouldn't have to settle for something I don't want. And I'm not going to.

I posted this in the tower thread, but got no replies ! Say I broought a 2002 Sunscape 21 LSV. From factory it didn't come with an illusion x tower. Am I able to have one fitted?

Yes, I believe so.

I also believe you can, but I'd get a Titan II on it instead and I know it fits without a doubt. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey D. I can vouch for this boat..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/B...n-161337982.htm

I bought it new here and sold it to this bloke. He has looked after it like a baby and it is absolutely in mint condition. It's also got the Monsoon engine (and a heater/stock stereo/tandem trailer/mags/full road cover).

Your "partner in crime" will go nuts over the flat slalom wake and you can take out the back seat and pop a sack in it to sharpen up your wake at slower speeds.

What is $50k NZ in USD? Around $35,000 and no GST or freight to pay to get it here - it's here.

I also know of a 2003 LXI with tower, wedge and with a 305hp carb engine.

Have a look on trademe - you might be surprised and as the exchange rate moves in your favour, earn some bucks and swap them for NZD when you head back!

Thanks mate, but I have to buy a boat here, mainly for the fact I need one next summer HERE rather than at home, the whole idea of buying one is really so I've got a boat to use next summer.

try eastcoast flightcraft in about 2 months alot of ski school and summer camps trade there boats in with in the next two months but look over what you buy very carefully.