Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 FXI - What Is It?

zigzag

I heard about a new model called the FXI. From the pictures posted in the gallery, it looks like a RLXI. Anyone have any information on the it or the specs? I did hear that the RLXI gets a 350 HP Monsoon option. That is nice!

The short answer is it's a "Sunscape 20 LSV, as a direct drive". (Take the Sunscape 20 LSV, move the engine to the middle of the boat, add a back seat, a trunk, and an optional rear ballast tank, and you've got a Response FXi)

Peter :)

Thanks for the quick answers! I read the other threads and I gathered it was a 20 LSV in a DD. I think I will stay with the RLXI. If it were a resurrection of the SLXI 99-04, I might consider it. I think there is plenty of demand for the old SLXI and Mastercraft brough out the Prostar 214 DD that fills that niche. Had to check out the FXI and since nothing changed my mind I am going to buy a new 2009 RLXI. Haven't heard much about the 09 RLXI and interested in hearing if there are any new goodies or improvements on the boat.

Supposedly, the FXI is the resurrection of the Sunsetter LXI from what I'm hearing... closest thing to it other than a XTI...

Thanks for the quick answers! I read the other threads and I gathered it was a 20 LSV in a DD. I think I will stay with the RLXI. If it were a resurrection of the SLXI 99-04, I might consider it. I think there is plenty of demand for the old SLXI and Mastercraft brough out the Prostar 214 DD that fills that niche. Had to check out the FXI and since nothing changed my mind I am going to buy a new 2009 RLXI. Haven't heard much about the 09 RLXI and interested in hearing if there are any new goodies or improvements on the boat.
  • 2 weeks later...

The designer felt it provided more storage that way. The rear seat is quite deep so it's more comfortable to sit on (not on the floor), and gives good storage. It's not aimed at the tournament crowd that would be taking the rear seat out all the time, although a number of us have mentioned we would like to see at least a 3-pc seat if not removable.

I haven't had this one wet yet, hopefully in the next few days. But, those that have said it's wake is great, and the hard tank along with the wedge makes it a really attractive package I think. That's why I have the tower coming.

Peter

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

Sure can Woob. It would look just like the 20 LSV dash in the other link.

MaliView is available in Response LXi, FXi, all the Sunscapes and Wakesetters. Not available in Response, Response LX, Ride 21 or Ride 23.

2009 Malibu Response FXi

Hopefully in a week or two we'll have the Titan tower to put on it. In combination with the rear hard tank and wedge it should be a great little boat.

Please post pictures when you have the Titan on it!! Love.gif

...and I too like the idea of the 3 piece seat!

Edited by CTSunsetter

the old school 'sunset on the horizon logo' which they placed in the middle of the sundeck on the sunscape it really cool!

nothing like a salute to the 80's icon!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information Peter. That looks like a nice boat. I would be very interested to see a comparison between the FXI and LXI. I am buying an '09 and was set on the LXI, but would like to know more about the FXI. Specifically how it performs in open water and the course. I want to stay with the hard-core slalom machine, but have to consider the family...

They still have that massive glove box yet can't seem to incorporate a cup holder or two for the passengers. Thats one of my few complaints with my RLXI. We drink a lot of water, diet soda, and sometimes coffee. It's allways a challenge to keep them from spilling/rolling all over the boat. This shouldn't be a difficult request, should it?

If you put a cold beverage in the motor cover rear cup holders they won't be cold for long. For 40=50k I would like a few cup holders. Mad.gif

They still have that massive glove box yet can't seem to incorporate a cup holder or two for the passengers. Thats one of my few complaints with my RLXI. We drink a lot of water, diet soda, and sometimes coffee. It's allways a challenge to keep them from spilling/rolling all over the boat. This shouldn't be a difficult request, should it?

If you put a cold beverage in the motor cover rear cup holders they won't be cold for long. For 40=50k I would like a few cup holders. Mad.gif

Absolutely agree. I have no plans to update from my '03, and as silly as it seems, this is one of the reasons.

My wife does not share my obsession with waterskiing, but she does enjoy going out in the boat to swim, lay in the sun, and socialize with our friends (which usually involves Beer.gif). Consequently, the basic creature comforts are considerably more important to her than whether the boat sports the latest wake, what engine it has (I know *GASP!*), or even what color it is. She cares about having an open bow, a bimini, a heater, enough places to store stuff, and a place to hold her cold Mike's Hard Cranberry Lemonade. She has all that with our '03, plus we own it outright.

If I were to get the bug to get a new one (and I will admit, there are a couple I've seen lately that have made me think about it Whistling.gif ), I'd first have to climb the mountain of convincing my wife that it was worth the $10-15K upcharge. Kinda hard to justify from a practical perspective - wake is not that much different, the extra 10 HP or so in the Monsoon isn't going to do it, already have all the features we need on the '03.

But for the sake of argument, suppose that I climbed that mountain and got the CFO's approval. The first time we went out for a day on the lake in the new ride, and she goes to set her Mike's Hard Cranberry Lemonade down, I'm a dead man. Ranting.gif

That has got to be the stoopidest™ oversight I have ever seen on a boat. Where exactly does Malibu expect people to put their drinks? And to think the problem has not been corrected in what, the 3rd or 4th year that design has been around? :Doh:

Jerry, I'm in the 'i'm a dead man boat' as my wife is always on me re: where to put the drink. I think I'm going to order one of the www.pyloncupholder.com even though it seems to be a rip off, it will be nice to find a place for her refreshment and get some peace and quiet...

Jerry, I'm in the 'i'm a dead man boat' as my wife is always on me re: where to put the drink. I think I'm going to order one of the www.pyloncupholder.com even though it seems to be a rip off, it will be nice to find a place for her refreshment and get some peace and quiet...

BTW - yours is one of those that caught my eye as a really, really sharp boat! I love the midnight blue/white. Thumbup.gif I think Skihorse's promo is the same scheme, only with Dark Blue/White. Both look really sweet. Unfortunately, not sweet enough to be worth the grief. Let me know how that cupholder works - I'd be a little fearful that it is a great design for munching on toes...

I just want to know what was wrong with the old design that had two cupholders above the observer seat? Dontknow.gif Did we really need the mother of all glove boxes? No.gif

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier