Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake-to-wake for novices and "The Book"

nemalibu

So I took the advise of several people from The Crew and I purchased The Book and watched DVD #2 over and over again.

Guess what - last Sunday I landed my first wake-to-wake jump and today I went out and did at least 15 more. I am in my forties and although I have skied for a number of years, I only recently started wakeboarding. Untill now I could not seem to land a wake-to-wake and now I am on my way to consistantly landing them at will. I am thrilled and already thinking about what wakeboard challenge to go after next.

I can't say enough good about these DVD's.

Since I'm new to the crew, what exactly is The Book and DVD? My fifteen year old is just learning and I'd love to help him along. Thanks.

Congrats on your first wake to wake! I only started this year as well, although I am much younger at 37 than you. Whistling.gif I also came from a skiing background and had a quick lesson from Brad Buskas a month or so ago. What a difference, if you were like me you were edging like on a slalom ski? He had me change my edging technique and then I cut to the wake and couldn't imagine how eay it is to clear the wake consistently. I have progressed to several different grabs but have been hesitant on trying the 180 W2W. Do these DVD's go into this sort of progression?

MalibuNation
Yes, The Book covers just about everything. It really is a well done video.

Anyone have a used copy "The Book" ... I'm 52 Whistling.gif ... and I'm just able to cross both wakes and that's about it. Oh, I can do what I think is a butter slide.

I'm a long time skier and wakeboarding feel uncomfortable to me.

Maybe I'll posted something on the Wanted section. Thanks

This sounds like just what I'm looking for was well. I too just turned 40, and for the life of me, I can't seem to land it W2W. I'm getting about 4-5ft of height, but can't seem to hit the back side of the wake, and continually hit about 2 feet short. I started thinking (and even made the below image to illustrate) I needed a different wake pitch. Maybe I was being set for too much height, and not enough distance. I crash & burn every time I land. I just can't seem to get it, and I've given it a good 50+ tries, and my fargin knees are killing me.

Pointers from the below are appreciated.

sunscape_wake.jpg

-Keith

How long of a rope do you ride? Make shorten it in a lil... Your board?

I'm at 60' for the rope. The board is a 2005 Liquidforce, Substance 142.

Edited by IamN2Speed
the basis for any trick and w2w jumps is good edging. It's all about progressive edging.

Some good short clips at waketrix.com

Those are some good tips. I'm going to have to look through those. I'm definately doing something wrong, because I'm working way too hard to get where I am. The videos make it look too simple. I'm cutting hard, pushing off hard, and still not making it. As for making the rope shorter, 60' is the first loop. Without tying it somewhere it's not supposed to, I can't see how to make it shorter. Besides, I know I could clear the wake if I came up where the wake was narrower, I want to clear it where it is... :) Mostly because I know I should be able to.

You have plenty of height and the rope is short. The last variable is speed. How fast are you riding?

Thats the key, need a little more speed.. JMO

AF1

You are out of balance in the air likely because you are not "over" your board when you pop. That is why you are having to let go with you back hand to keep balance. Otherwise the rope is probably being pulled from your hands. Your current approach will help you with Raleys though (those are the laid out board back manuevers that I still can't do, so i'm kidding).

Try this;

start about 5 feet from the wake and don't edge at all

let the boat pull you in and stand up straight as you go over the wake

you will pop straight up but not big

once you do that a few times, start in the same spot, only like 5 to 10 feet out, except edge UP the wake. Up the wake is the hard part as most will try to hit the wake perpendicular, like on a slalom ski. Ride up the wake.

then try going out a little ways (15 or 20 feet), don't edge until the boat starts to pull you, then with your back straight and knees slightly bent start to dig in (slowly at first) towards the wake

at the trough of the wake start to stand up keeping your board going up the wake (pointed more towards the boat then the wake) while still on edge

keep the handle low on your hip and enjoy the ride

You obviously don't have to do the progression this way but you will save A LOT of frustration if you treat it as a progression and not just try to charge it again and again.

Have fun!!!

Edging and speed seemed to do the most for me (I also can see the balance comment).

The edging drills on DVD#2 of the book were a BIG help.

I have an 03 Sunscape 21 LSV, no wedge, no balast, do have Perfect Pass. I am using 57' of rope (I tied it off where the wake looked best) and the boat speed is 21 MPH.

You have plenty of height and the rope is short. The last variable is speed. How fast are you riding?

Boat speed is 18 or 19...

18-19 try to get to around 20-21 or as fast as what you are comfortable with.

I would try this. Try some w2w jumps at 70' with as good technique as you can. After 5-6 tries immediately shorten the rope to 60' and give it a shot.

Yeah, probably going to need an extra mph or 2. I can clear the 2nd wake @ 65' and 21mph..and I'm not very good. Technique is everything though, so try what Hack was saying and you may find that you're not getting proper pop like you think you are.