Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Lists Starboard

zornman

I have been working with my dealer for about a year now over a listing issue with my 2006 Sunscape on a diamond hull. Last year I took the boat in for normal maintenance and when I put it back in the water it had a severe list starboard. This only happens as the boat is at speed above idle. There is no water anywhere in the boat nor accessory weight that would cause this. The list is severe enough that if I am the only person in the boat and sit on the port side where I can just reach the steering wheel the boat just barely levels out. When I drive the boat from the captains seat, I need about 350-400 pounds on the port side to level the boat (I weigh about 200 lbs). The dealer claims they have checked all alignments and there is nothing else to check. Has anyone seen this happen before? Any suggestions?

Thanks...

I've noticed that after re-propping to an Acme 1235 on my VLX that under high power (>30mph) w/ no ballast that I get a slight list, but certainly not to the level you are showing. It's likely not the issue, but try a different prop if you can to rule that out.

I've noticed that after re-propping to an Acme 1235 on my VLX that under high power (>30mph) w/ no ballast that I get a slight list, but certainly not to the level you are showing. It's likely not the issue, but try a different prop if you can to rule that out.

The boat came with the Acme 381 and I have changed to the OJ 475, but I have the same problem with both props. In fact, the list did not change at all.

The boat almost feels unsafe to drive without adding ballast or having passengers to straighten the boat. Right hand turns are fine although you are very near the water. Left hand turns are strange because the boat is still leaning to the outside or near level when making those turns. When going over rolling waves nearly parallel to the direction you drive, it almost feels like you are going to roll over (kinda like when loaded for surfing). By the way, this problem happened about two weeks before we started adding ballast to the boat for boarding and surfing (we were always skiers).

Wow. Apparently, I have a unique problem here. I have been emailing Malibu and the only suggestion they have is to take it to the dealer and have them contact the technicians. I have a feeling this one isn't going to get fixed. Mad.gif

Wow. Apparently, I have a unique problem here. I have been emailing Malibu and the only suggestion they have is to take it to the dealer and have them contact the technicians. I have a feeling this one isn't going to get fixed. Mad.gif

So the boat was fine for a while, then you had it serviced and when you got it back it was listing when at or above plane speeds?

Is there anyway there could be some water or anything that has found a void under a ballast tank of some other area?

I have been working with my dealer for about a year now over a listing issue with my 2006 Sunscape on a diamond hull. Last year I took the boat in for normal maintenance and when I put it back in the water it had a severe list starboard. This only happens as the boat is at speed above idle. There is no water anywhere in the boat nor accessory weight that would cause this. The list is severe enough that if I am the only person in the boat and sit on the port side where I can just reach the steering wheel the boat just barely levels out. When I drive the boat from the captains seat, I need about 350-400 pounds on the port side to level the boat (I weigh about 200 lbs). The dealer claims they have checked all alignments and there is nothing else to check. Has anyone seen this happen before? Any suggestions?

Thanks...

I would think if it was water it would be listing all the time. Is it possible one or more of the "gorilla" fins are bent or angled so that the boat rocks on it's side at speed?

a friend of mine has an 08 23xti wakesetter that lists as well when moving faster than idol speed, it's a pretty significant list but i don't think he has done anything about with the dealer as yet. It is not at all related to water in the hull or a ballast issue. It can be pretty frustrating especially with the cost associated with these boats these days.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....showtopic=16118

Yes, I have the same problem, only my "list" or "lean" is always prevelant. Even when the boat is parked or anchored, the right side of the swim platform is submerged in water. I have had this problem since day one, but being that it is an XTi with the storage compartment on the starboard side, I have always assumed that it was the way I had the boat loaded. I unloaded it this summer and the problem was still there.

My dealer is baffled and so am I. I have tried everything: unscrewing floor panels and snooping around the bildge looking for standing water, adjusting the rudder trim tab, switching props and of course unloading the boat and driving with only the 150 lb. driver. I still have the lean. It is seriously like I have ballast filled on one side, it is that bad.

Edited by twrv

I too have a similar problem on my 1998 RLX.

Sits level at the dock. Under power, it lists to starboard. Yes, I know our props turn counter-clockwise... and that "twists" the boat to starboard.... but I've been any many other ski-boats.... none seem to have the same problem.

I need two grown adults sitting in the spotter seat to give me a pefectly level ride..... otherwise, I get a bit of froth off one of my wakes.... which is irritating for my kids when they wakeboard at 16~20 mph.

Checked fin and propshaft alignment visually.... nothing to indicate any problem. No pulling to either side.

Rather than go to the (frustrating and expensive) process of having a technician tear the boat apart.... I've decided to live with it. Considered moving my battery (about 50 pounds) from center of hull to far left.... but never got my act in gear to do that mod.

Good luck being detective.... hope somebody has a good answer for you....might solve my problem also.