Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Considering a new 23 LSV.. need advice (new to Malibu)

gregtay

Howdy all. First post... I am considering purchasing a new 08 23 LSV. I have had boats for years, but this would be my first V-drive. 78K!I will mainly use the boat for surfing, boarding, crusing around and sometimes the water can get rough around here (so it needs to be able to manage the chop well.) I have a few questions.

1) Diamond hull... good or bad? The only 08's they have left are diamond hull... i would think i would want the "wake" hull but i don't know if it makes that much differance (We will not be waterskiing)

2) boat had the Monsoon motor... good/bad?

3) I know talking about pricing on forums can be a bit iffy.. but i could use some help. The price quote i recieved seems really really high for an 08 they are trying to get rid of. Quote came in at $78K out the door (71K before tax) The boat has some nice options. but they seem like the standard stuff (boat cover (they charge you $1400 for this?!), stereo, heater, power wedge, dual batt, launch system, Illusion tower (but the tower is clean... no lights, speaker... or even a bimini!) Trailer was included in the price (but broken out at $6K plus another $1K in trailer options!!)

I am cross shopping with an X45 and a Centurion Enzo 230. We really liked the Malibu overall, but the bow seems too small to really be usable. That was really the only negative.

Any thoughts and advice would be appricated plus some general advice on what is a good deal on an 08 equipted as above. thx much! Hopefully joining your crew soon.

Just puchased my first Malibu in April ( 2008 23 LSV ) I've had boats for the past 6 years , we love our malibu. As for the hull I've rode in both could'nt tell one from the other. The price sounds high to me as well. Can't go wrong with purchasing a Malibu

I hoped ithis well help.

If you don't plan to waterski and just want to wakeboard and wakesurf, I would not buy a Diamond hull. The Diamond hull works against everything you plan to do with the boat. That is too much money for compromising on the wake.

Had my 07 LSV for several months and we love it. Moonson is plenty of engine but I would hold out for the wake hull. Rides great in a chop.

I paid in the 60's for a hold over 07 loaded with speakers and lights. I bought a boat that was 200 miles away but they delivered it. Shop.

Hope this helps.

I can't believe no one commented about this

$78k is CRAZY!!!!!!! Your dealer is nuts to quote this much for that boat. Wait until the 2009s are in full swing and dealers can sell their non-current inventory anywhere (they can't sell "new" current boats out of their territory). You could ship a 08 LSV across the country and still save a boatload.

-Chris

Yep, that boat is AT LEAST 10K over-priced. Shop elsewhere as dealers around the country should be getting antsy right now with their 08 stock...

We love our 08 23LSV (paid $64K), but there are some things that could be better. If you want something for cruising in rough water, I'm not sure this is for you. Our friend has an 05 25LSV with the big hull and it is MUCH better when cruising on rough water. But, it's also 1000lbs heavier...I believe all the new Wakesetters have the same lower hull as mine, but someone more knowledgable could probably confirm that.

Don't get me wrong, this is a fantastic wakeboarding boat! But you need to make sure you prioritize what facet of using the boat interests you most - cruising, wakeboarding, skiing, etc. We prioritized wakeboarding, which we don't regret, but with that comes a little stress when the kids are in the bow in rough water...

$78k is CRAZY!!!!!!! Your dealer is nuts to quote this much for that boat. Wait until the 2009s are in full swing and dealers can sell their non-current inventory anywhere (they can't sell "new" current boats out of their territory). You could ship a 08 LSV across the country and still save a boatload.

-Chris

Yep, that boat is AT LEAST 10K over-priced. Shop elsewhere as dealers around the country should be getting antsy right now with their 08 stock...

We love our 08 23LSV (paid $64K), but there are some things that could be better. If you want something for cruising in rough water, I'm not sure this is for you. Our friend has an 05 25LSV with the big hull and it is MUCH better when cruising on rough water. But, it's also 1000lbs heavier...I believe all the new Wakesetters have the same lower hull as mine, but someone more knowledgable could probably confirm that.

Don't get me wrong, this is a fantastic wakeboarding boat! But you need to make sure you prioritize what facet of using the boat interests you most - cruising, wakeboarding, skiing, etc. We prioritized wakeboarding, which we don't regret, but with that comes a little stress when the kids are in the bow in rough water...

-Chris

Thanks Chris. Big water ride is one of my concerns... I know nothing will come close to the ride i get in my 25' Crownline... but i still want to be able to cross the lake when the water gets some chop (without displacing everyones kidneys!)

You should be in the 50's or (maybe) low 60's for that boat.

Also might want to consider "out of state delivery". You can save big money on taxes.

Bought our Brand NEW 2008 23 LSV yesterday! Clap.gif Little less than $60,000 out the door. This included: Speaker system #2, bimini cover (extra long), boat cover, dual axel trailer, dual disc brakes, fat sacks (x2) & pump, fiberglass platform, coast guard kit, rear seat stereo remote, Illusion XS Tower, ballast system, transome remote, monsoon engine, power wedge. MSRP was $84,500 with all the options (so they say).

We also tested out the Centurion - personally I did not like the noise or the fumes (sideswipe exhaust).

Be sure you shop around. There are some great deals out there now.

Being from Sacramento we are mostly on the lakes and also on the Delta. The Malibu is not going to handle like a deep V family boat in rough water, but it is not bad. We have two kids, 8 months and 2 years and I am not worried for their safety. Biggrin.gif

have you tried filling the bow ballast in rough water, apparently that will help the ride.

Thanks guys. We drove both the Malibu and the X45 today... certainly different boats. For us, the x45 would work.. meaning that we understand it isn't a hard core wakeboard boat, but it does handle the big aves really really well (I was very impressed.) My wife really likes the big box area to lounge in. But... i really like the Malibu for it's handling, style, and an amazing interior. Clearly the Malibu is the better boat for wakeboarding, but didn't handle the waves all that well (but much better than the Tige RZ2 we drove.) I liked all the tech in the Malibu.. but it just kept soundign alarms during the test drive. The system thought the power wedge was deployed and kept warning to slow down. the wedge was not down. The guy tried to calibrate it but that didn't work. Oh technology:).

We are still working on our decision... i vote for the Malibu, she votes for the x45. We decided we would be happy with either boat, just for different reasons (meaning neither is perfect.. both have pros and cons... but nothing is a deal breaker) (well.. the x45 might not fit in the garage on the trailer it is on.. and that would knock it out of the running and make our choice easy.

If i go with the Malibu then they have to reasonable on price. I am not paying anything close to 09 pricing on an 08. Much like someone said i figued it was about 10K overpriced.. but we will see where we end up on that.

Thanks again for your help. We will figure it out on Monday.

Thanks guys. We drove both the Malibu and the X45 today... certainly different boats. For us, the x45 would work.. meaning that we understand it isn't a hard core wakeboard boat, but it does handle the big aves really really well (I was very impressed.) My wife really likes the big box area to lounge in. But... i really like the Malibu for it's handling, style, and an amazing interior. Clearly the Malibu is the better boat for wakeboarding, but didn't handle the waves all that well (but much better than the Tige RZ2 we drove.) I liked all the tech in the Malibu.. but it just kept soundign alarms during the test drive. The system thought the power wedge was deployed and kept warning to slow down. the wedge was not down. The guy tried to calibrate it but that didn't work. Oh technology:).

We are still working on our decision... i vote for the Malibu, she votes for the x45. We decided we would be happy with either boat, just for different reasons (meaning neither is perfect.. both have pros and cons... but nothing is a deal breaker) (well.. the x45 might not fit in the garage on the trailer it is on.. and that would knock it out of the running and make our choice easy.

If i go with the Malibu then they have to reasonable on price. I am not paying anything close to 09 pricing on an 08. Much like someone said i figued it was about 10K overpriced.. but we will see where we end up on that.

Thanks again for your help. We will figure it out on Monday.

Whats the price tag on that x45?

That is one big/heavy boat

Greytay

Where is the dealer that had the 23LSV diamond hull located?

We have been trying to get a demo ride on one with the diamond hull.

My local dealers here in the Midwest cant come up with one?

I too have been looking at MC [X15] nice boat but ski wake is

higher and pointier than the 23LSV even with wake hull.

Plus the local dealer has been impossible to deal with.

They are also about 10k high on price and wont budge.

They have at least 4 07 X15s still in stock maybe they are

collectors?

We would really like to see the Diamond before choosing.

Edited by Seadog
Plus the local dealer has been impossible to deal with.

They are also about 10k high on price and wont budge.

They have at least 4 07 X15s still in stock maybe they are

collectors?

What is up with these Master Craft dealers. Do they have to go through Master Craft Boot camp where they are all taught that their mastercraft is the godsend of all watercraft and if you want a deal buy a Bayliner>??? Maybe this boot camp doesnt include customer service. Dontknow.gif

Idiots if you ask me. Surprised.gif

Makes me love my Bu even more and my dealer has been great too.

if you are looking for a surf specific boat, there are those on this site that went with the Centurian Enzo. I have seen a picture of the surf wake and it is impressive, oh, here it is:

nicewake.jpg

We test drove the Enzo and it was nothing compared to the Malibu!!!!! We surfed behind both with the stock ballast. Anybody can add tons of fat sacks and get a great wake!!

if you are looking for a surf specific boat, there are those on this site that went with the Centurian Enzo. I have seen a picture of the surf wake and it is impressive, oh, here it is:

nicewake.jpg

We test drove the Enzo and it was nothing compared to the Malibu!!!!! We surfed behind both with the stock ballast. Anybody can add tons of fat sacks and get a great wake!!

Yeap... the Enzo is on the list for it's surfing wake and because it is very very reasonably priced for what you get. I am headed down tomorrow to see if they will quote me a reasonable price. The Enzo is the backup plan (they don' have any enzo's left so i would have to wait for one to come up from the factory in California.

Well we made our decision.... i pick up our new 08 LSV tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for all your help.

Those new 23's are a dream, considering one myself. Didn't like the enzo?

Well we made our decision.... i pick up our new 08 LSV tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for all your help.

Those new 23's are a dream, considering one myself. Didn't like the enzo?

We liked the Enzo... went out yesterday for a demo in an Enzo 240 and i even had a chance to wakesurf behind it (very sweet wave.) We really like the large bow of the Enzo and it certainly handles the chop/waves better... but we just we not in love with it. The LSV is a huge step up in terms of features. The Envo has very little storage (the area under the rear seats is hard tanks. The LSV drives like a sports car on water vs. the Enzo which drove a lot like my 25' Crownline. And... even though my LSV isn't as cool as the new Mali-vue... it still has a great deal of technology (although it seems like all the computerized buttons are a little more difficult to use vs. the traditional toggle switch.)

So in the end we went with the Malibu.

• 2 months later...

Hey man I have an 2008 with the 340 Monsoon and my friend has the same boat with the Hammer Head and there is no difference even with both boats loaded with extra sacks in the back locker. Both motors are going to need to have the prop upgraded if additional ballast is added. Something to consider if you have to take the tower down to store the boat the Illusion is the way to go. Two pins and it fold in on itself. I do it by my self every time I go to put my boat up.